Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Life for my older assets

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Oh, no. Sorry for the confusion. That's the original Daz object name.
    ahhh thanks for clearing that up.
    3D Artist http://www.mike3d.com
    Fine Art Portfolio http://www.macb.ca

Glossy reflects were off but not understanding how I could set samples on a per object basis.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by macb View Post
    ahhh thanks for clearing that up.
    Still haven't figured out how to animate the water surface yet though. That used to be a no brainer.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Wow. Hidden in plain sight. Thanks, I'll explore.

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    I considered putting this in a new thread, but this is something I've been trying to understand for quite awhile as to why larger Daz figures using the LAMH were having issues when translating into Lightwave …

Attachment 144883

Attachment 144884
    Hey Ma3rk - great post and examples, definitely worthy of a separate thread for discussion.

I've been experimenting with migrating the DAZ Husky model, and attempting to render the results via Octane … with some "challenges," like there is no way to get anywhere near rendering a 3 gig version of an exported model which uses DAZ's LAMH plugin (Octane just chokes and dies).

So, I've just had to curb my enthusiasm and dial down LAMH's export settings to where they will render in LW+Octane.

Here is a 2 hour render (scaled from 6400 to 1024 across), you can see where the fur on the paws could do with some extra TLC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Husky__01__SleepingPosed__02AA__v11a__Cam[1]_Frm-0001__@1024_Crop.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	842.2 KB 
ID:	144904
    Last edited by Gungho3D; 05-05-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho3D View Post
    Hey Ma3rk - great post and examples, definitely worthy of a separate thread for discussion.

I've been experimenting with migrating the DAZ Husky model, and attempting to render the results via Octane … with some "challenges," like there is no way to get anywhere near rendering a 3 gig version of an exported model which uses DAZ's LAMH plugin (Octane just chokes and dies).

So, I've just had to curb my enthusiasm and dial down LAMH's export settings to where they will render in LW+Octane.

Here is a 2 hour render (scaled from 6400 to 1024 across), you can see where the fur on the paws could do with some extra TLC

Name:	Husky__01__SleepingPosed__02AA__v11a__Cam[1]_Frm-0001__@1024_Crop.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	842.2 KB 
ID:	144904
    When you say dial down, you mean the numbers of hairs, the compression level, ...?

Also, the hair objects that DS exports (the ones created from the editor& in the scene) seem to export differently than the ones LAMH creates in the bowels of the Users folder so you might try those. I think their the same file but Daz does something with them once imported. I usually just run them through Polytrans and it seems to clean things up so I don't have to think about it.

Hmmm. Thought I had the Husky. Have the Wolf so pretty similar. Ah. It's a separate add-on. Anyway, that was one of the earlier LAMH finds & was able to bring that into LW. Was pretty slow (earlier system) but still picking my way too. Should take a look at that again.

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    When you say dial down, you mean the numbers of hairs, the compression level, ...?

Also, the hair objects that DS exports (the ones created from the editor& in the scene) seem to export differently than the ones LAMH creates in the bowels of the Users folder so you might try those. I think their the same file but Daz does something with them once imported. I usually just run them through Polytrans and it seems to clean things up so I don't have to think about it.

Hmmm. Thought I had the Husky. Have the Wolf so pretty similar. Ah. It's a separate add-on. Anyway, that was one of the earlier LAMH finds & was able to bring that into LW. Was pretty slow (earlier system) but still picking my way too. Should take a look at that again.
    I have the full LAMH editor etc etc, probably just time poor for getting to the 1001 ways of fine-tuning it, so the LAMH Tab is all I've messed with for getting exports to happen ...

… you might be able to advise me regards what will / what won't balance a good, render-able outcome

Here are the LAMH Tab settings which enable a workable outcome.

Name:	LAMH.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	144905

PS we use PolyTrans at work but I don't have it personally
    PPS why am I rendering Huskies? … it makes for a great Happy Birthday card for my daughter

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho3D View Post
    I have the full LAMH editor etc etc, probably just time poor for getting to the 1001 ways of fine-tuning it, so the LAMH Tab is all I've messed with for getting exports to happen ...

… you might be able to advise me regards what will / what won't balance a good, render-able outcome

Here are the LAMH Tab settings which enable a workable outcome.

Name:	LAMH.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	144905

PS we use PolyTrans at work but I don't have it personally

PPS why am I rendering Huskies? … it makes for a great Happy Birthday card for my daughter

Only thing I can see is maybe just go with the Advanced Shader instead of for Human, but can't see how that would matter much as it's the geom that's the memory issue. The Presets that come with AM's products havn't needed any real tweeking on my part either. Most drastic thing I'd done is pose the Moose & comb his beard down.

Polytrans was sort of a gift to myself. I just did not want to deal with models sort of, but not fully working.

The files the LAMH editor makes get written to a folder similar to this: "C:\Users\16267\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\lookatmyhairAM" if you want to compare those to what DS spits out.

Personally made cards are always better, particularly if you can physically print them out. And if one needs a reason to make imagery of animals, then I've been in violation for quite some time I guess.

While looking for my Wolf in Daz, I discovered that a lot of it's aspects were missing. Fortunately, a simple un/re-install with the DIM they all got restored, namely the Expression controls that were entirely missing. Yet another of the mysterious ways of the Daz UI.

I then exported just the Wolf in FBX from Daz and in Modeler worked the three Wolf LAMH Group obj's separately. Those had to be resized (Ctrl-H), making Action Center was set to Origin, and using exactly 1.20%. That all lined up perfectly but still can't get the fur to move with the main Wolf. Another day. Manually retextured as usual.

As I've been doing, I set the Fur objects to be Unseen by Radiosity. This rendered in 3-4 mins.

Name:	FurrdWolfTk3(SmoothdFur).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	616.0 KB 
ID:	144913

Less might be more.

I decided that instead of tying up my system to render out 300 frames or so, why not just do maybe 6 frames instead and let everyones own wetware fill in the gaps.

So, at your own framerate ...

Cut to:

Name:	VeniceDramaFrm25.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	641.8 KB 
ID:	144926

Name:	VeniceDramaFrm75.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	362.4 KB 
ID:	144927

Name:	VeniceDramaFrm142.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	144928

Name:	VeniceDramaFrm180.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	649.8 KB 
ID:	144929

Name:	VeniceDramaFrm225.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	770.3 KB 
ID:	144930

Name:	VeniceDramaFrm300.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	868.2 KB 
ID:	144931

Time to move on. Think I might go over to Lake Como next.

TrueArt Support
    Set camera to 25%, and render image sequence. Compress to anim GIF and attach here. This way we will see entire scene without bothering YT and your machine.

In 25% resolution it will render in 6.25% of time required for 100% resolution.

BTW, Venetia has slightly different color of water than yours.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vene...=lnms&tbm=isch
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-17-2019 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Set camera to 25%, and render image sequence. Compress to anim GIF and attach here. This way we will see entire scene without bothering YT and your machine.

In 25% resolution it will render in 6.25% of time required for 100% resolution.

BTW, Venetia has slightly different color of water than yours.
    I'll keep that in mind, but for now, ...

Ya, as far as color I found a number of shots where the water really varied in color. Eventually I'll have to dig into water settings in general. I've no PBR presets Linrary to gleen from so just winging it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123