Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Life for my older assets

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho3D View Post
    Beautiful conversion/materials/render work … but that water, what can I say forget about approximating DAZ for the water, the scale of waves is all out of proportion for the canal context …

… I'm still waiting to see Storm Troopers hiding in the alleyways in ambush
    Matches the original quite closely but maybe there's a tiling scale I missed. It'll get more attention later on anyway.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Matches the original quite closely but maybe there's a tiling scale I missed. It'll get more attention later on anyway.
    Actually I think you're right about matching the originals - maybe it's just me, I was looking at the water from a realism point of view and something seemed off, like the scale might have been better to open water but not so much for such a confined space.

Apart from that I'm loving the renders, looking forward to more!

Nice renders Mark,

Seeing Venice makes me want to paint.

What are your render times like at 1080p?
    3D Artist http://www.mike3d.com
    Fine Art Portfolio http://www.macb.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho3D View Post
    Actually I think you're right about matching the originals - maybe it's just me, I was looking at the water from a realism point of view and something seemed off, like the scale might have been better to open water but not so much for such a confined space.

Apart from that I'm loving the renders, looking forward to more!
    Thanks. I got the impression that a boat had just passed.

When I got to looking at the water, I noticed the Ivy & other leaves weren't quite right. They got basic the basic PBR but no translucency, etc. so trying to pick that apart now. Wish there was a Daz surfaces to English guide somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by macb View Post
    Nice renders Mark,

Seeing Venice makes me want to paint.

What are your render times like at 1080p?
    Thanks macb. I really wanted to spend some time there (never been) and Florence (been but way too short).

The render times seem to be really dependent on what all is being seen. Most of these have been ~ 45-60 mins, but had some in the 25-35min range too. I've moderately high Interpolated settings too.

I've not optimized anything and see in the new Wiki that there's a noise workflow section I should really look over I suppose.

Was paying attention to other stuff & finally noticed my very colorful, but obviously confused trees so fixed those. Had some map name confusion + hadn't translated all the translucency values over. Even so, much of that's a guess trying to translate Daz into Lightwave w/o a proper working Babelfish.

Gave Dobie something to keep watch over too.

Probably going to move on from Venice for awhile. Will be out of town for a few days & away from working system anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Venice_MorePlanters_34+mins.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	760.5 KB 
ID:	144827

Was paying attention to other stuff & finally noticed my very colorful, but obviously confused trees so fixed those. Had some map name confusion + hadn't translated all the translucency values over. Even so, much of that's a guess trying to translate Daz into Lightwave w/o a proper working Babelfish.

Gave Dobie something to keep watch over too.

Probably going to move on from Venice for awhile. Will be out of town for a few days & away from working system anyway.

Name:	Venice_MorePlanters_34+mins.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	760.5 KB 
ID:	144827
    Beauty of a render Mark,

So.. if you will be away for a few days you could totally setup a fly by animation and have it rendering while your gone :P

Beauty of a render Mark,

So.. if you will be away for a few days you could totally setup a fly by animation and have it rendering while your gone :P
    Hmmm, not a bad idea. Won't be leaving until Sun so gives me a couple days to ponder.

I'd like to add some gentle motion to the water surface. The sov2Ocean object is actually a solid with the top surface highly sub divided. The surface is using Princp BSDF with only a UV and small height map used on the displacement of the final surface node.

I've tried adding values to the U and V Offsets, but nothing happens. Obviously missing something with new node system.

Suggestions?

I'd like to add some gentle motion to the water surface. The sov2Ocean object is actually a solid with the top surface highly sub divided. The surface is using Princp BSDF with only a UV and small height map used on the displacement of the final surface node.

I've tried adding values to the U and V Offsets, but nothing happens. Obviously missing something with new node system.

Suggestions?
    I'm not familiar with "sov2Ocean" is that the houdini toolkit?

Stunning work! The textures quality come through despite the conversion (which isn't always kind to old textures). I'd say maybe increase the intensity of the sky, and tonemap the results. I think the brilliance of the sun/sky in such an environment would mean it's way brighter.

I'm not familiar with "sov2Ocean" is that the houdini toolkit?
    Oh, no. Sorry for the confusion. That's the original Daz object name.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    Stunning work! The textures quality come through despite the conversion (which isn't always kind to old textures). I'd say maybe increase the intensity of the sky, and tonemap the results. I think the brilliance of the sun/sky in such an environment would mean it's way brighter.
    Thanks. I've been testing with other HDR's. The real place would have a lot more atmospheric influence to be sure being right on the sea. The variations of the light is what what I love about this. I'll probably revisit all of this with some night lighting later on.

Happened to catch a clip the other day of Venice & the water is a lot greener too.

I considered putting this in a new thread, but this is something I've been trying to understand for quite awhile as to why larger Daz figures using the LAMH were having issues when translating into Lightwave. I wasn't sure where the problem was happening, if it was some quirk with Daz, or the export process or format choice. I finally tracked the problem down & fortunately it can be worked around but does need add'l attention.

I chose the Moose as it's a good example of the extreme. The base Moose itself exports out as ~ a 4Mb obj. I could use FBX for the body but it has issues with the fur which ends up just under 3 Gb using the Daz export. LAMH can export the hair as well & cuts that size about in half, but still too much for layout to handle. Either way, I usually run them through PolyTrans to separate surfaces & such to a more convenient manner.

I know the info is in the Wiki somewhere but good luck readily finding it, but there is an object point & poly limit in Layout. Important point: OBJECT limit & not LAYOUT limit.

Modeler can actually open the 3 Gb fur object file. It's not all that happy about it but it will open & from there I split it up into three objects. Once I did that & brought the parts into Layout, it was once again content. Now comes the 2nd phase which is largely what this post is about.

I knew somewhat to expect renderwise & it didn't disappoint. This is just a quick setup with just an HDR & shadow catcher. With my typical camera & render settings using GI of course and not changing anything else, this first render took 18 HOURS!!!

Name:	MooseInSnow_18Hours.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	596.3 KB 
ID:	144883

For the second test, I simply checked the Unseen by Radiosity box for the 3 fur objects but left on for everything else. Render time: 28mins., 20 secs.

Name:	WinterForestMoose(Radi)Off_.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	598.1 KB 
ID:	144884

Yes, there is a visual difference but that would be expected (and either is a judgement call), but that could be tweeked with separate item renders I suppose, but for a 39X speed increase...

The main point, & I know everyone forgets and I've tried to 'splain to others experiencing huge render times, is that if something really isn't contributing to the OVERALL scene when it comes to radiosity, just turn it off. The fur would affect itself certainly, but not beyond that to the rest of the scene as the camera is seeing it. The body itself contributes way more. So, if you've a wide shot exterior scene with huge amounts of instanced grass for example, leave radiosity enabled for the ground but disable for the grass items.

Rather than set the fur to be unseen by rad, try setting it to be brute force, with relatively low samples (4-16), for the fur object, also experiment with disabling glossy reflections on the hair surface, that can kill render times too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast