Thread: White levels too hot

White levels too hot

We have an XD455 Tricaster with latest software. Our camera’s white is above the 235 waveform line, or too hot (equivalent to 110 IRE or so). Can’t lower in the camera menu without messing up gamma, brightness. etc. Is there some kind of clip function in Tricaster to lower to 235?
    Appreciate any feedback. Did a search but did not find anything. Noob to forum, sorry if not using it correctly.

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar
    Yes! You should be able to do this on each input's proc amp. What version of the software are you using? On the original 455, if I remember correctly, you click the gear on the input and it offers you options like edges, zoom, position, and I think an IRE setting.
    Be careful through, if your camera is over 235, it might be blowing out highlights (like the details on a while shirt) and even pulling down the IRE on the Tricaster won't get them back.
    It is kinda like if the audio was being distorted coming out of your camera, so you turned down the input on the Tricaster. It would still be distorted, just quieter.

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE3 + LC-11
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc
    Cameras: Sony Z280, Z150, Spark & Bird Dog converters
    http://reddogrecords.com

There's also a 'Make Legal' effect in the LiverSet Utilities folder, though the proc amps doubtless offer more control. Note that on some models, too, there is a "Show Illegal" option in the Overlays group of the ISO monitor's context menu.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")