Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Couple of Basic Lightwave Questions Please

A Couple of Basic Lightwave Questions Please

Old Lightwave user fighting with Lightwave 2018.

When I create text in Modeler, why are many of my polygons flipped and how do I easily fix those flipped polygons?
    I don't remember this being an issue in the olden, golden days.

Also, how can I get a logo I've cleaned up in Photoshop into Lightwave as an object.

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevedross View Post
    Old Lightwave user fighting with Lightwave 2018.

When I create text in Modeler, why are many of my polygons flipped and how do I easily fix those flipped polygons?
    I don't remember this being an issue in the olden, golden days.

Also, how can I get a logo I've cleaned up in Photoshop into Lightwave as an object.

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

Steve
    Yes, they broke the Boolean in Lightwave 8 and have not been able to solve this problem until now. The boolean is a too complex technology, you know.
    So we do some holes selection, paste in a empty layer, drill or boolean, cut and paste, like a retarded.

... some people are using EPS import for better result in lightwave.
    Last edited by papou; 04-09-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Flipped ploys in text with modeler is usually just GL drawing... try taking to layout and rendering, they ought be fine. Triple the effected faces if you really must.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by papou View Post
    Yes, they broke the Boolean in Lightwave 8 and have not been able to solve this problem until now. The boolean is a too complex technology, you know.
    So we do some holes selection, paste in a empty layer, drill or boolean, cut and paste, like a retarded.

... some people are using EPS import for better result in lightwave.

I tried saving a four letter text as an EPS in Photoshop and Lightwave tells me "unknown file format" and "Not recognized by this file converter".

Is there a proper way of saving it out of Photoshop other than just esp so it will convert?

I could be wrong but I don't think you can import an EPS file from Photoshop, normally LW "needs" a vector EPS from Illustrator or another vactor based program.
    Dell XPS8700 Quad Core i7 [email protected] - 16 GB DDR3 - GeForce GTX 750ti - Windows 10

I tried saving a four letter text as an EPS in Photoshop and Lightwave tells me "unknown file format" and "Not recognized by this file converter".

Is there a proper way of saving it out of Photoshop other than just esp so it will convert?
    Do yourself a favour, install free krita, from where you can trace your logo, export as svg format, make sure you have blender installed and import the svg file, save out as obj and open that in Lightwave...if rendering or animation is a must in Lightwave...otherwise complete it in blender.

In krita, use selection tools to select/trace your logo, then go to select menu and use convert to shape, then go to layer menu and use import/export and save vector layer as svg.
    once importing the svg file in blender, you have many ways of adding thickness, change spline handles and animate it, you do need to use alt-c in blender on this imported svg shape to make it a mesh(mesh from curve) then you can save it as obj and send to lightwave.

another method is to trace the logo in free inkscape and save out as svg format, and go the same route with blender.
    The advantage with blender is that it imports svg format, Lightwave doesnīt...there is a splotchdog plugin out there, but not worth it if you have blender.
    And in blender you will have bezier splines intact to re-deform the path.

In fact..I would rather recommend to trace the logo in inkscape as opposed to Krita, since you can control point density and level of the trace, otherwise you may end up with too dense path trace in krita...which doesnīt have any controls to correct that.

You could clean up the curve in blender in edit mode with curve/clean up/ decimate curve...but maybe too much work instead of trying to get better results in inkscape directly.

The other way is to invest in illustrator trace the image logo and save out to eps, and you should be fine importing that directly to lightwave, it may be simpler but it cost as opposed to my suggestions.

Blog Entries

Yeah, Lightwave's eps support has been atrocious for the longest time. As far as I know it will only work with eps files created in Adobe Illustrator 7 or older.

It really is a joke.

Regarding flipped polys, have you tried using the Unify Normals (Detail>Polygons>Unify Normals) or Align (Detail>Polygons>Align) buttons?

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    Yeah, Lightwave's eps support has been atrocious for the longest time. As far as I know it will only work with eps files created in Adobe Illustrator 7 or older.

It really is a joke.

Regarding flipped polys, have you tried using the Unify Normals (Detail>Polygons>Unify Normals) or Align (Detail>Polygons>Align) buttons?
    They should invest in svg, and make it as good as or better than blenders svg import...that means also working directly in layout with animation options.

For text creation and openGL issues..
    you could try and check buffered corners in the numeric text panel instead of default sharp, that can and should help with that issue..
    At least for non extruded text.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    They should invest in svg, and make it as good as or better than blenders svg import...that means also working directly in layout with animation options.
    Couldn't agree more.

How about OD Vector Importer, works with AI, EPS and such. Its better than LW's native one. Its also free. Text tools in LW have never been very good.

https://origamidigital.com/cart/inde...ory&path=59_60
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

EPS is a general container format so the Photoshop EPS is going to contain a lot more data than just the vectors you need. Instead, select Photoshop's File->Export->Paths to Illustrator. You might also save to PDF from Photoshop and load via the free OD Vector Importer plugin.

But the other advice to use a more capable vector creation tool (often free) is ideal.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Yeah Paths To Illustrator is what I use.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post

It really is a joke.

Ah, thanks for the Unify Normals. I was forgetting that. I'm still trying to stumble my way through 2018 without tutorials. A big mistake.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I remember the good ol' days when Pixel 3D was around. A cheap and crappy little program (said with love and respect) that easily allowed
    you to turn logos into 3D objects for Lightwave.

You can still find some of these gems from the turn of the century...

https://web.archive.org/web/20060925...t/Elefont.html
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast