Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Couple of Basic Lightwave Questions Please

I find it ridiculous we still dont have sufficient text creation tools in LW

I use after effects - element3D for text creation, export obj, wham bam.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Flipped ploys in text with modeler is usually just GL drawing... try taking to layout and rendering, they ought be fine. Triple the effected faces if you really must.
    This is not an openGl issue.
    The text mesh do not have holes.
    Holes are separated unconnected polys.
    It depend on the fonts, but sometimes the boolean can't be done
    Last edited by papou; 04-11-2019 at 11:31 AM.

So after some fighting with polys I went to look for my metal surfaces, etc.
    It looks like you add those in Modeler now and not layout.

I can't find those surfaces.

Please help a brother out with this dumb question.

Thanks
    Steve

Maybe I should make some Intro to LightWave tutorials. With the VizRT purchase they might start marketing it more, this means more new people. It will be tricky coming up with projects that are easy enough for beginners and remembering to explain the stuff that I just do out of habit since it's so ingrained into how I work.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by stevedross View Post
    Old Lightwave user fighting with Lightwave 2018.

When I create text in Modeler, why are many of my polygons flipped and how do I easily fix those flipped polygons?
    I don't remember this being an issue in the olden, golden days.

Also, how can I get a logo I've cleaned up in Photoshop into Lightwave as an object.

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

Steve

It been in this Freaky, Cantankerous way sometime & because of our split app

It never inspired confidence, depending how it wants to draw your font

of choice. Now with Virtz then there maybe a chance to again look at

a mograph market with a new LW text engine that is stable. Something

that could handle close up scrutiny of a large letter fly-by & micro-poly

displacement textures that stick where you put them. With that new

PBR & volumetrics aching to be used, Full Broadcast Logo's could be done,

For now use Fusion 9 freebe (its a joy for this)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedross View Post
    So after some fighting with polys I went to look for my metal surfaces, etc.
    It looks like you add those in Modeler now and not layout.

I can't find those surfaces.

Please help a brother out with this dumb question.

Thanks
    Steve

No...itīs the same as it has been for a while, you determine surfaces in modeler as "always" and then you can use preset on those surfaces in Layout.
    But the old materials is gone, itīs new materials now from 2018 and forward, there is inconsistency in the workflow within this split app, while F8 brings up the surface presets in modeler, it would bring up the vertex panel in layot, to me itīs a wonder how they managed to go with that workflow and shortcuts.

In layout you should use F9 for surface presets..and click and use the drop down list of " built-in" in surface presets, you can not save on to this library, then you have a "this user"
    That is where you can save your own preset or save a modified version of the "built-in" surfaces

Huh? You're sure you're not off-by-one on the keyboard, Prometheus? F9 is Render in Layout, and F8 brings up the Surface Presets if you have the Surface Editor selected in Layout.

F8 brings up the Presets shelf depending on which panel has focus when you press it. If the Surface Editor (F5) has focus, it brings up the Surface presets. If you have (for example), SkyTracer2 with input focus, it'll bring up SkyTracer presets.
    mTp
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 04-11-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Add shelf depends on Panel with focus; SkyTracer example

So I did I loaded the object, but it looks like only points were loaded. I highlighted all the points and made polygon, but my
    polys are all over the place. I think I'll try another method other than Photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    Yeah, Lightwave's eps support has been atrocious for the longest time. As far as I know it will only work with eps files created in Adobe Illustrator 7 or older.

It really is a joke.

Regarding flipped polys, have you tried using the Unify Normals (Detail>Polygons>Unify Normals) or Align (Detail>Polygons>Align) buttons?
    EPS files from pretty much any illustrator version are fine,just make sure to use the correct settings. I use it all the time. Don’t use photoshop for vector work unless you are a masochist.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Now with Virtz then there maybe a chance to again look at a mograph market with a new LW text engine
    Haha, seems too late. the NewTek team must hurry to rework the lightwave text tool into Layout.
    VizRT need strong 3d text tool, and is already linked to C4D via Livelink.
    Would you change from C4D to Lightwave for Title work and motion graphic?...
    ... With this holes into letters?

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    Huh? You're sure you're not off-by-one on the keyboard, Prometheus? F9 is Render in Layout, and F8 brings up the Surface Presets if you have the Surface Editor selected in Layout.

F8 brings up the Presets shelf depending on which panel has focus when you press it. If the Surface Editor (F5) has focus, it brings up the Surface presets. If you have (for example), SkyTracer2 with input focus, it'll bring up SkyTracer presets.
    mTp
    lol...
    getting old..bad glasses...was very tired..
    dont have more excuses than that.

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    EPS files from pretty much any illustrator version are fine,just make sure to use the correct settings. I use it all the time. Don’t use photoshop for vector work unless you are a masochist.
    I stand corrected.

I don't really use any Adobe products anymore (for at least 15 years), so my info on that issue isn't exactly current.

Thanks for the useful info.

yeah, just use BLENDER. maybe one day LWG will get it that they need to make LW better/keep up to date with competition

In the context of creating 3D text, Photoshop is actually a useful tool. Since the advent of 3D tools within Photoshop CS5 (~2010), you can extrude and bevel text, and then export to OBJ. But yes, for any other vector export work, Photoshop is not ideal.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    yeah, just use BLENDER. maybe one day LWG will get it that they need to make LW better/keep up to date with competition
    Not to defend LWG development processes (or lack), the nature of this medium is to figure out solutions on your own to get the job done. LWG does not have any idea how many of its users turn to a helper app because some feature is missing or lacking. This is why it is important to submit feature requests. If 3D text generation is so important to your own work, and you can specify exactly what needs fixed/improved, be sure to let LWG know. That's how "LWG will get it."

https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/submit/
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast