Thread: Sliders deactive once I leave frame 0. Help!!!

Exclamation Sliders deactive once I leave frame 0. Help!!!

Hi Folks.

Well this is a weird one... When I go to animate any object with Sliders on it, the sliders as you can see are available for use on frame 0, but once I leave that, frame 1, 2, 10, 100, 1000, etc., the sliders become deactivated and are totally unavailable. I have checked this on my desktop computer and laptop and it's happening on both, with any scene file I load. Anyone got any ideas because I've never seen this before?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sliders Problem.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	144701  
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Oh my God, I just did a test. Create a cube, layer 1. Copy to layer 2. Save.

Go into Layout. Parent layer 2 cube to layer 1 cube. Select layer 1 cube. Add Sliders control in Properties. Set up a basic rotate layer 2 cube control.

When on frame 0, it is available for use. When I move to frame 1 it becomes unavailable. Trying to think what could be causing this and the fact it's happening on every scene on both machines, the only thing I can think of is a recent Windows update that both computers got. Please don't tell me this has messed this all up on me! Is there any way to fix this? Am I missing something obvious?
    KnightTrek Productions

Works fine for me in LW2015.3, Win64 as from your screen capture. Scene attached. Are you accidentally hitting SPACE and disabling the Sliders? Does CTRL-D work to re-enable them if you're off of Frame 0?

mTp
    Attached Files Attached Files

Paul, from your images it looks like they only highlight on a keyframe (f0) but when moved to where there isn't a keyframe the slider greys out.

Hope this helps
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Like daforum says, they light up to indicate the presence of a keyframe, they havent deactivated.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Thanks very much for the help, folks. I've done some testing and I think I've found a problem.

First, you're right, the sliders do dim when not on a keyframe, sorry about the confusion there. But look at this image here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sliders Problem 2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	144704

The slider controls of Prizonian 1's left hand have disappeared completely. When I got into Properties -> Sliders, all the controls are gone.

So I then took the test file above and I did a test... I Clone Hierarchy on the two boxes and look:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sliders Problem 3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	600.0 KB 
ID:	144705

All the sliders end up linked together but only the original box turns. I think the Clone Hierarchy tool and Sliders don't work well together, at least in Lightwave 2015. I can still do my renders in these scene, but I'll have to keep this in mind for future use where I need multiple copies of a character.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.
    KnightTrek Productions

what if you import a character from scene instead of using clone hierarchy, will that fix the problem ? I recall it fixes a problem for some other issues.

That worked. When I love each copy individually from file, the slider controls are fine. Thanks for that.
    KnightTrek Productions

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    That worked. When I love each copy individually from file, the slider controls are fine. Thanks for that.
    Can someone with LW2019 please test and confirm/deny whether the above problem still exists?

If so, it really needs to be reported -- that behavior suggests "clone hierarchy" is actually corrupting cloned hierarchies, and such corruption would also likely be responsible for other issues/failures.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti