Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Story Creator press release

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar

Live Story Creator press release

https://www.newtek.com/press-releases/nab2019/

Actually this link covers lots of new NAB items!
    Last edited by Red Dog Records; 04-07-2019 at 05:51 PM.
    Tricaster 460AE3 + LC-11
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc
    Cameras: Sony Z280, Z150, Spark & Bird Dog converters
    http://reddogrecords.com

Cool, I guess we can start talking about some of these now. The press release doesn't even begin to cover the coolness.

For Premium Access users, this update delivers a welter of new advsnced capabilies, and makes good on the promise that they will see continually growing power and value in their 'back stage pass' to all that's cool at NewTek.

LSC is much more than it appears to be from that little blurb.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Technical Account Manager - Channel Support
    Live Story Creator was a huge hit on the show floor today. I am demoing it on my pod and have seen dozens of mouths drop. It's really cool.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Andrew shows off a few tidbits in his community event discourse, which is the second one linked on this page:

https://www.newtek.com/nab2019/community-event/

He really only spends a minute or so on some of the high-level new stuff, but we'll try to answer any questions about the items he discusses (or doesn't discuss, if you like).

p.s., One of the things not mentioned about LSC is that a script (.docx file) imported into TriCaster's LSC interface is 'watched' ... so, for example, I have loaded a test script located in the Public folder on the system I'm currently typing on into LSC on a TriCaster on the same network. When I edit the Word file on my local system, TriCaster immediately notifies TriCaster that the 'watched' file has been updated. So I can make last minute changes to both the (automated) program and the teleprompter script without touching the switcher, which is pretty neat!

In addition, Andrew's discussion doesn't really mention the fact that I can insert switcher instructions into my Word doc without having the first clue about macro syntax. For example, I can add a comment to my script that says "Fade TriCaster Spin on with voiceover", and my TriCaster will find the clip "TriCaster Spin" in my Clips folder, fade it on and play it; and the "voiceover" keyword will ensure that the teleprompter will continue rolling as it plays so talent can follow along.

There are more elaborate automation options, too ... so, for example, if my comment said "Play TriCaster Spin, VOSOT 15":
    • the clip would be auto-ed on using the current BKGD transition
    • clip audio would be muted for 15 seconds
    • the teleprompter would scroll the introductory text for talent to read
    • then, after 15 seconds, scrolling would automatically pause
    • and clip audio would be unmuted;
    • then, when the clip ends, the former camera input will auto back onto Program.

Or, again, keeping it simple, I can write "Show Jim in a PiP" and a file named Jim.avi will auto on in a DSK, run, and then auto off. The object of the game is to let people use natural language without learning going near macros - though of course you can trigger a macro, too, for more complex needs.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

This sounds more amazing by the minute.
    Can you clarify the 'teleprompter' part?
    Is this part of the LSC that outputs over NDI?
    If so, does it extract the script/VO portion of the word doc and only show that (without all of the production notes)?

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE3 + LC-11
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog Records View Post
    Can you clarify the 'teleprompter' part? Is this part of the LSC that outputs over NDI?
    The teleprompter output from LSC is available via NDI, through the mixer as an SDI output, or on an external monitor via a fullscreen workspace. It has font size, speed (also supported by a Contour ShuttleXpress USB controller) and margin controls, as well as the requisite flip/rotate options for display.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog Records View Post
    If so, does it extract the script/VO portion of the word doc and only show that (without all of the production notes)?
    Instructions you manually enter as comments (e.g., "Run macro mymacro", or ""Circle Wipe M/E 1 slow" ) in the Word doc are not shown.

The teleprompter output shows normal body text as white on black (duh!) to be read by talent, and cues (talent names) as black text on a white background. The only other text that can appear on the teleprompter output is defined as "Information text", which is shown in a smaller, italicized, and light yellow font. This is meant to let you provide direction on the teleprompter ("Keep the product label facing the camera!")

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delme.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	144707

The image above shows the LSC script in TriCaster's Automation tab, with the NDI teleprompter output shown in Studio Monitor above. Notice the blue text in the Automation tab canvas. This indicates that there are switcher instructions (comments) at the blue text in the Word doc file - but this does not affect teleprompter output.

By the way, it isn't even necessary to manually insert instructions to benefit from the automation. LSC can automate a show based entirely on the show's title (which triggers a special "Show Opening" LiveGraphics display) and Cues. A switch happens automatically on cue changes, and a lower third LiveGraphic that pulls DataLink values from the matching camera is automatically shown for five seconds after each Cue appears for the first time in a show segment.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delme.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	144707
    By the way, it isn't even necessary to manually insert instructions to benefit from the automation. LSC can automate a show based entirely on the show's title (which triggers a special "Show Opening" LiveGraphics display) and Cues. A switch happens automatically on cue changes, and a lower third LiveGraphic that pulls DataLink values from the matching camera is automatically shown for five seconds after each Cue appears for the first time in a show segment.
    That's a really cool new feature. If you could read the same kind of stuff from our iNEWS newsroom computer system, we could do some of our broadcast TV newscasts with it! Who needs Ignite?

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Since LSC is 'listening' to the talent and getting production cues at the appropriate time, can it also scroll the teleprompter using only voice recognition, keeping the current line in the center?
    Tricaster 460AE3 + LC-11

TriCaster could be said to be 'listening' to the talent, I suppose, if you connected it as an audio source - but LSC is not ... but if I'm following you (adding voice recgnition to pace the scrolling speed) that's an interesting notion.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sbowie View Post
    tricaster could be said to be 'listening' to the talent, i suppose, if you connected it as an audio source - but lsc is not ... But if i'm following you (adding voice recgnition to pace the scrolling speed) that's an interesting notion.
    feature request!!!
    Tricaster 460AE3 + LC-11

I'm very excited about this new feature!
    Marty Jenoff
    TC-1
    TC 40 v2
    Canon c100, Canon XF305, XF205, XF105
    Focal Point Productions, Inc.
    Baltimore, Maryland
    www.focalpp.com

Technical Account Manager - Channel Support
    I have to say that I am really impressed with this feature after demoing on the show floor for the past 3 days. The number of blown minds is literally record breaking.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Is there any documentation/manual for this? I would love to read about the process as I await it's arrival!
    Tricaster 460AE3 + LC-11

Not available yet, sorry Andrew.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Not available yet, sorry Andrew.
    no worries, I am SURE Zane recorded some of his demos...maybe?

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE3 + LC-11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast