Thread: LightWave <> Unreal

LightWave <> Unreal

just thought this was Amazing...

as far as i know, LightWave can now export to Unreal and make similar renders.
    edit; feel free to correct that statement, if wrong.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Thanks for the video. This is very exciting but I can't quite visualise it. So to take a LW character into Unreal, could anyone suggest any workflow - does LW get treated a bit like Poser animation or does Unreal handle all the animation. Is hair all in Unreal ? Grateful for any thoughts.

some info here >
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nreal+hair+fur

the hair shading still has a way to go, but they are constantly working on it, so shouldn't be too long before they have close-to-realistic hair shading in Unreal...

long hair dynamics will have to be simulated in LightWave, or other applications, as it requires a lot of precision, also cloth dynamics. if you're going for realism that is.

Last edited by erikals; 04-06-2019 at 07:43 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Unreal hair is basically always going to be polygon cards or similar, so there's nothing radically different about how you go about making the hair look good; you just have to put a ton of time into it or spend years figuring out the absolute fastest way to get good results faster. A dedicated hair system like what Maya has... even though its still time intensive and difficult to work with, will always provide better and more controllable results.

The main reason I prefer polygon cards is because it is much easier to transport to different applications.

One last note here: a weak point in Unreal in terms of hair/dynamic object shading is shadow quality; you get good results, but if good isn't enough, you gotta use something beefier or bake the living crap out of everything (which defeats the purpose of working in unreal... for video anyway)
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 04-06-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

it is a game engine

Hi:
    I admire these photoreal renderings, the face/skin/hair.
    Very amazing !!!
    -Mobilis In Mobile-