Thread: Unreal Bridge for Lightwave Users

Post Unreal Bridge for Lightwave Users

It has been a while hasn't it? I've been busy, but last month I put my all-in to get this content ready to go. Unreal is an incredibly powerful (and free... well for video use) tool that you need to start taking advantage of. It was unimaginably hard to piece together a workflow aimed at video content creation, but here it is!

For more information check out the page at Liberty3d.com
    https://www.liberty3d.com/2019/04/un...ghtwave-users/
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Thanks for this, it's something I've been thinking about for awhile and I'll see if this is a road I might to go down.

Nicely done Ryan... Been meaning to get around to some UE4 help videos for a while, but am overloaded at the mo.
    As usual, this looks great!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

How darn timely, thank you Ryan. Could I just please ask if your own rendering workflow is veering now towards Unreal in place of Octane ? Btw, your Syflex leaves look great with the Unreal makeover.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    How darn timely, thank you Ryan. Could I just please ask if your own rendering workflow is veering now towards Unreal in place of Octane ? Btw, your Syflex leaves look great with the Unreal makeover.

Actually, my main realtime renderer was Marmoset Toolbag before I migrated to Unreal. It is an extremely fast, lightweight program that is very user friendly and I do recommend checking it out, but Unreal visually offers many more options and overall better graphical capability among other things.

So, I guess you could say Unreal is my primary renderer now, but I still need Octane for detail stills or short clips. The Lightwave renderer to me serves more of a utility role; rendering out passes, doing surface baking, producing certain visual effects and so on.

Looking forward to checking this out. It does look like Unreal has shifted to a pricing model like Unity. That is, based on actual sales, which seems fair enough. I appreciate you taking the time to make these kind of tutorials for LightWave. I have both your SyFlex and Octane tutorials and they are very helpful.

Quick question.

On Unreals site there is the game one and Enterprise, which is aimed at other areas other than gaming. Which is better for video production? I've no real interest in games per say, but at interactive usage and video/trade show stuff for my clients.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    Quick question.

On Unreals site there is the game one and Enterprise, which is aimed at other areas other than gaming. Which is better for video production? I've no real interest in games per say, but at interactive usage and video/trade show stuff for my clients.
    As far as I know there aren't any differences that matter from our perspective. Just extra materials (just get substance painter), templates, and other convenience items. Unreal Engine is all people need, and that's downloadable directly from the website.

The only thing I would NOT recommend unreal engine for is for still images... in which case you can save the bit of extra work and just render it out in Lightwave or Octane.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    Quick question.

At the moment, I still think the Datasmith tools are free to use, but we pay for the Enterprise license, just to get support from their devs. (Their support is awesome BTW).

The major differences are:

Standard version:
    Free to use, below a certain revenue threshold
    No direct dev support
    No importer for CAD models

Enterprise version:
    Datasmith CAD/3ds Max/Inventor/Revit/Sketchup importer (which is ace actually, very well designed).
    UDN (Developer Network) Logins
    'Free' access to Substance Source (which is great as we don't get access to that via our current Substance Licensing model).
    Free to use on any number of projects, no revenue share as we don't use it for games per se.

There may be other differences, but ultimately the free version of the engine gives you the same build, minus Datasmith.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB