Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Vizrt acquires NewTek

I hear all the arguments. I want to stay positive, Lightwave is Newtek's little baby, I can not imagine Newtek abandoning his child, Newtek's leaders are responsible people. With the export to unreal engine today, I think Newtek wants to give to Lightwave a real-time future with new and more powerfull tools ....

Quote Originally Posted by slv View Post
    I think Newtek wants to give to Lightwave a real-time future with new and more powerfull tools ....
    And that cool thing is that REAL TIME is the future. Here is the thing. Hitching the wagon now to this market will assure the LONG TERM survival of the app.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Just keep developing Lightwave, and don't go subscription, and I will keep giving you my money. That's it, period.

Oh, and guess what? A lot of people who don't even know LW exists, desire such an option. A DCC with an honest license. If Vizrt knows how to market a product, they may sell a lot of seats. If the software can be modernized a bit, they may sell a whole lot. On the other hand with a subscription model, there will be no reason for anyone to switch, and take on the learning curve, when they already have a modern subscription option they've been using. Subscription will kill LW in an instant, in any situation other than, they update the tools to be the very best in the industry bar none. That's almost impossible without an improbably huge capital investment, soooo... Don't go subscription, and work on being the best option for studios who want to break from Autodesk, or don't want to pay Maxon's high prices. It's not a bad position to be in if you do the one thing Newtek never would... Marketing the product.

Suddenly, the following becomes more important imo: Nodal everything is fine. But the team needs to come up with an easy way for users to "tag" and organize multiple nodal outputs values (even from different node networks) in an ultra-simple UI in case a user has no Node know-how. And make these simple UIs (ie. idiot-proof skins for complex nodal Unreal Surface settings) the default.

Maybe Mike can come up with something integrated with Nodemeister. This was discussed elswhere by Robert, but I like the idea of making LW as user-friendly as possible...even if some of us are comfortable with nodes
    Last edited by Chris S. (Fez); 04-02-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Okay real-time...but what does that look like in practice ? Will this allow Lightwave to have a real actor driving a digital character in a digital set like Hellblade, or a real person interacting live with a digital set, and is Tricaster involved in some way ? Is anyone already doing anything similar who could maybe comment further on the hardware/software chain ?

Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post
    Maybe for now. I don't trust them enough to maintain that model, though.
    Ok. Except they will.

Not that it matters to me. Been on subs for 3 years with them already.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    Oh, and guess what? A lot of people who don't even know LW exists, desire such an option. A DCC with an honest license. If Vizrt knows how to market a product, they may sell a lot of seats. If the software can be modernized a bit, they may sell a whole lot.
    Not with the proverbial open source elephant in the room which gets better and better and has already left LW (for the most part) in its dust. Can't get more of an honest license like that either.

...and we're back at the question what market Lightwave should really be focusing on. Motion graphics? Real-time asset generation for Unreal and Vizrt? Lightwave and/or Modeler will need a total overhaul. Will the new owners "own up" to that? We'll see.

2019 has been an 'interesting' year so far for the 3d crowd.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Don't go subscription, and work on being the best option for studios who want to break from Autodesk, or don't want to pay Maxon's high prices. It's not a bad position to be in if you do the one thing Newtek never would... Marketing the product.
    Great post

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Suddenly, the following becomes more important imo: Nodal everything is fine. But the team needs to come up with an easy way for users to "tag" and organize multiple nodal outputs values (even from different node networks) in an ultra-simple UI in case a user has no Node know-how. And make these simple UIs (ie. idiot-proof skins for complex nodal Unreal Surface settings) the default.

Maybe Mike can come up with something integrated with Nodemeister. This was discussed elswhere by Robert, but I like the idea of making LW as user-friendly as possible...even if some of us are comfortable with nodes
    Another great post
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Subscription will kill LW in an instant, in any situation other than, they update the tools to be the very best in the industry bar none. That's almost impossible without an improbably huge capital investment, soooo... Don't go subscription, and work on being the best option for studios who want to break from Autodesk, or don't want to pay Maxon's high prices. It's not a bad position to be in if you do the one thing Newtek never would... Marketing the product.
    The argument about 'high' prices is only one for hobbyists and cheap 3D users.

A professional should know that the time saved / money earned with a much more efficient tool and better end results is easily covering the additional cost. C'mon spending a few grand for the main work tool shouldn't be an issue for any pro, otherwise he's doing something wrong.

Blender is not yet reliable enough and lot of parts are still in development. You need separate beta compiles for different features and these features are mostly not yet at the level of Maxon, SideFX or AD products. This however can change for Blender, once all the development streams are consolidated and the software is more refined and stable (most likely somewhere around 2.81 or 2.82). But as of today, Blender or LightWave is only for cheap 'professionals' and hobbyists, who are ready to sacrifice efficiency and stability for less money.

The only reason why I would choose LW or Blender as my main tools is if there are no other perpetual and offline alternatives left for me as hobbyist. But even for that they'd have to make a giant leap in development to reach the quality of older versions my software.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post

A professional should know that the time saved / money earned with a much more efficient tool and better end results is easily covering the additional cost. C'mon spending a few grand for the main work tool shouldn't be an issue for any pro, otherwise he's doing something wrong.

Blender is not yet reliable enough and lot of parts are still in development. You need separate beta compiles for different features and these features are mostly not yet at the level of Maxon, SideFX or AD products. This however can change for Blender, once all the development streams are consolidated and the software is more refined and stable (most likely somewhere around 2.81 or 2.82). But as of today, Blender or LightWave is only for cheap 'professionals' and hobbyists, who are ready to sacrifice efficiency and stability for less money.

The only reason why I would choose LW or Blender as my main tools is if there are no other perpetual and offline alternatives left for me as hobbyist. But even for that they'd have to make a giant leap in development to reach the quality of older versions my software.
    So Tangent animation who made Nextgen a $30 million dollar movie are cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Kiwi View Post
    So Tangent animation who made Nextgen a $30 million dollar movie are cheap?
    1) Blender was not the only software used in that film, they also used Houdini, FumeFX, Substance etc., so it wasn't possible using Blender alone and
    2) yes Blender certainly helped making the film production cheaper (not saying that the end result looks bad and I like also the official Blender short films)
    3) big Studios and productions like that have usually develop their own tools in addition

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post

Interesting, didn’t know that all LW and Blender users are cheap? Because at work we have both C4D and 3DS and still we use blender and LW for most of our work.

I use blender so I am cheap to. Oh well, now were are the keys to the ferrari....

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Interesting, didn’t know that all LW and Blender users are cheap? Because at work we have both C4D and 3DS and still we use blender and LW for most of our work.
    Interesting. I'd like to know what the reasons are for that besides cost?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Kiwi View Post
    I use blender so I am cheap to. Oh well, now were are the keys to the ferrari....
    I use Blender too for certain things (Blender Fluids is great for example) but not as main software.

All this talk about being cheap and my daughter walks in with a paperclip necklace she just made thinking she is all flash and stuff :-)

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast