Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Vizrt acquires NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by VonBon View Post
    Before serious Ideas can be given, we need to know if LW is planned to still be a
    standalone product or if it is to be integrated into Vizrts current technology.
    Since, at this moment, there isn't a single human on the planet who knows what Vizrt will do, I think you make an excellent point. There may be some value in offering ideas anyway, if for no other reason than that it conveys an impression of the community and their interests. But it's very early days, and I don't think 'fix Modeler, fix forum thumbnails, etc., etc.' are the sort of the out of the box ideas that would get anyone excited.

I must say, though, that - while I certainly understand some expressing a 'Let's wait and see, don't get excited, this could all go south' attitude - I nevertheless find it very hard to imagine a constructive purpose for some of the 'snark' in this thread ... unless it's to allow the writers to feel like they told someone off AND simultaneously convince Vizrt that there is too much toxicity around the brand to bother with.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Since, at this moment, there isn't a single human on the planet who knows what Vizrt will do, I think you make an excellent point.
    That's "Like a Splinter in Your Mind". For users now, or user contemplating jumping aboard. ... Clarity from above would help a lot. Even if its at the end of the month...
    -Jon

I don't think 'fix Modeler, fix forum thumbnails, etc., etc.' are the sort of the out of the box ideas that would get anyone excited.
    Don't care about the "old school" forum, but "Fix Modeler" is pretty much what is needed to put LW back in the big leagues. It's not a sexy marketing point to say "we caught up" but, it's what has to be done. It needs to be modernized, and that should take priority over any flash in the pan VR gimmick features or whatever. Vizrt already seems to have the VR stuff covered anyway. They don't have a modern 3D modeling software though. ...but they could, and that would make a lot of us happy. Just to be clear, I'm not calling VR a gimmick, but the type of limited use tools that get added to many softwares, so that they can hype the latest version when, the app has long outstanding gaps in capabilities that are keeping it from being a viable threat to the competition. So yes, fix modeler, add GPU rendering within Layout (possibly using Unreal) and unify, or enable unified capabilities through modeler/layout communication. And you know what that means? The key to all this is..........

THE HUB! Okay, I may be joking about the hub, although imagine the hub was powerful enough to negate the need for unification. It is just about the capabilities and the speed at which they can be executed. I don't care how you get there. How is that for out of the box? Who's ready for the Hub rewrite?

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Oh are we back to making suggestions and believing NT is listening to us? Where have they been for the last 20 years? I mean, you might want to check the millions of requests for modeling improvements over that time, or the calls for bridging the gap between modeler/layout/integration, or people begging you to actually advertise or market LW, or to have some clear idea of where the product was heading in any way.... How many people were asking for a completely new renderer before that was presented? I don't remember any calls for it.

Oh well, new company now, maybe VizRT will take an active interest in LW other than being treated like an afterthought to their line of video products. Then again, maybe they will also.
    yep, they have not given their customers what they want and surprise surprise, look what happened. own worst enemy etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bitshift View Post
    Don't care about the "old school" forum ...
    Some do, and my post wasn't meant to knock them (personally, I will be extremely happy if I can make it to my grave without ever being forced to create a Facebook account).

But I don't think re-hashing a list of things that have been raised here endlessly is particularly useful at this juncture. NewTek, and from what I've seen Visrt too, are interested in game-changing ideas and technologies. This is not to say that the 'basics' aren't important, but I don't think that's the sort of thinking that will excite either company.

Quote Originally Posted by bitshift View Post
    Clarity from above would help a lot. Even if its at the end of the month...
    It probably will be at the end of "a" month, but certainly not this one nor, I expect, the one after that. It's very early days.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Look, I somehow work in the entertainment world, doing 3d for events and conventions, and what I see of the people who we rent to do the multimedia infographics, is that they need a lot of speed generating content. Realism does not prevail, only effectiveness, even if the final result is not realistic. I've seen the same in the Vizrt videos.

Therefore, I believe that some solutions are needed to offer that versatility, above all. How? In my opinion, generating procedural content, as does cinema4d or houdini.

In this case, I think the key is the nodes. And that may be the solution. Abandon the development of the Modeler and create a system of nodes from layout that allows to model, texturize and animate based on procedural systems.

I'm not asking to do a houdini, but almost yes. I think Layout has the power, with its engine, to get to it, but certain conditions have to be met. The first is that all nodes and properties should be accessible from any other node, to create cross-references.

And the second, to unify the nodal interface so that everything goes to the same point. It is not that you have in one side displacement nodes, other animation nodes, etc. But having them in a unique nodal window (which can be a similar to the "schemetic view"), where you can access all the nodes of the program.

Also, everything should be as simple as possible, and unified, so that the user does not have to be learning workarounds and tricks to do something that others easily do.

Greetings
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Any word on what will happen to NT employees? Are they going to need to relocate or...worse? Mergers always mean layoffs and relocations, but I hope this is the exception.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Some do, and my post wasn't meant to knock them (personally, I will be extremely happy if I can make it to my grave without ever being forced to create a Facebook account).
    +100 respect & admiration Thank **** someone is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Asticles View Post
    Look, I somehow work in the entertainment world, doing 3d for events and conventions, and what I see of the people who we rent to do the multimedia infographics, is that they need a lot of speed generating content. Realism does not prevail, only effectiveness, even if the final result is not realistic. I've seen the same in the Vizrt videos.

Therefore, I believe that some solutions are needed to offer that versatility, above all. How? In my opinion, generating procedural content, as does cinema4d or houdini.

In this case, I think the key is the nodes. And that may be the solution. Abandon the development of the Modeler and create a system of nodes from layout that allows to model, texturize and animate based on procedural systems.

I'm not asking to do a houdini, but almost yes. I think Layout has the power, with its engine, to get to it, but certain conditions have to be met. The first is that all nodes and properties should be accessible from any other node, to create cross-references.

And the second, to unify the nodal interface so that everything goes to the same point. It is not that you have in one side displacement nodes, other animation nodes, etc. But having them in a unique nodal window (which can be a similar to the "schemetic view"), where you can access all the nodes of the program.

Also, everything should be as simple as possible, and unified, so that the user does not have to be learning workarounds and tricks to do something that others easily do.

Greetings
    ok, well if you are going to do that, how about you make modo hook to layout via the hub and we get a kick *** combo ? if no love for modeller.

But tbh, I dont really want that. I like my LW in its entirety and would appreciate some modeller love since a lot of work is done there.

Totally agree with the nodal approach to the app, makes sense to have all nodes exist in a common framework. Perhaps if nodal is behind the scenes, we get simple UI and fast content creation with the addition of the "nodes" button that opens up the scope to link and drive anything from anything in modeller and layout. that would be pretty sweet. I think 2015 was going in the right direction there - keep is simple, stupid and then have the nodal button when you wanted to have real control at the expense of speed.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 04-07-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post
    Any word on what will happen to NT employees?
    nope.

way too early to say. maybe by LW2020 we will know.

i'll assume there will be one.

-------------------------------------

speculation boost mode: [on]

a question arises, if LightWave should be merged into other Vizrt products,
    though i highly doubt it, since we haven't even seen a Modeler / Layout merge because of M/L coding obstacles,
    therefore i find a merge/integration even less likely to happen to any other app.

you never know, but it must be very unlikely considering the massive amount of work it would be.

speculation mode: [off]

-------------------------------------

on a positive note, having read online what Vizrt is all about, i can't see why they shouldn't be interested in many aspects of LightWave.

 
    Last edited by erikals; 04-07-2019 at 10:01 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

care to make it interesting ? :P

you mean >

speculation mode: [on] ?

no, not interested  

aww, boring

feel free to write where LightWave should improve though.

> listening

there is no sanctuary....
    Lightwave-wise we'll see what happens. The only thing I'd like to know about is the present, is the lightwave development team coming to work everyday and are they working towards a next point release with fixes and or features. If they are the future is as bright as it was. If they are I'll be waiting for the next upgrade cycle with a little cash in my hand. Move on, wait and see.
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 417.71
    LW 2019.1 x64
    Space Navigator

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast