Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Vizrt acquires NewTek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Hi. I'm late to the discussion. Is there anything between page 1 and 18 of this topic that would benefit the reader?

After the announcement, the rest is just pointless speculation...and it is probably taking up moderators' precious time to repeatedly point this out. Is there some reason why this topic is not R/O...if not by the moderators...by the participants who should know better than to beat a dead horse? If you're seeking LW longevity, buy/upgrade a license, submit bug/feature requests, etc.
    Amen to that.

And Cinema 4D have just aquired Redshift. User speculation that both may be swallowed by Adobe, who have already "slain" Allegorithmic in the eyes of many users.

So in the context of these dog-eat-dog things, the LW/Vizrt looks like a really good and genuine collaboration. On another note, I think 4D does import LW scenes at some level so users of both may find they can output LW to Redshift soon.

Thick and fast isn't it ? What next - AD swallow Daz (or Daz swallow AD) ?
    Last edited by TheLexx; 04-08-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Exciting times. No need to panic - even if the worst came to the worst (which I don't think likely), we've all got several years to learn something new.

If Mr Cross is listening, there are two things I would like most;

1) Modeller love /rebuild. A fast modeller, with built-in functionality that I currently need LWCAD for, great UV tools, etc

2) Real time rendering engine, through Unreal or similar.

Real time is the future, keep the trad render engine going but keep pushing the team time stuff. It will help certain markets immediately - arch viz, product viz and so on, and only move into more and more areas of CGI as the tech improves.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    This is a nice and not entirely unlikely bit of reasoning, so kudos for a valiant effort Paul - but I'm sorry to say that it is incorrect. I know with certainty what motivated the Unreal developments, and it was not as suggested (I'll just say that it was a 'win-win' scenario that offered multiple benefits).
    LOL!! Thanks for that, made me smile. Glad someone appreciates my creative suspicious mind. LOL!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    Yup. With you so far...

Ooorrrrrrr....... negotiations between the two companies have been undergoing for longer than a year (as is quite normal in business acquisitions) and as a result Newtek have been implementing features into LW that the new owner wants, but instead of waiting until the merger is concluded before releasing these features, NewTek said...

"Hey! Wouldn't it be great if we release these features to our users now, so that they can enjoy them without having to wait?"

And Steve Bowie said, "Make it so".

And so it was that in LW 2018 and 2019 we were able to enjoy the tools that everyone else would enjoy post merger and post Vizrt toolset integration. And for their generosity they were rewarded with..... the usual sentiment from the most vocal usual suspects.

Well I for one would like to thank NewTek for their generosity both in including the new features in such a fantastic product and providing a three month upgrade offer on a tool that already offers such amazing value for money. And as a legitimately owned LW 2019 user am proud to know that you guys have not thrown us under the bus and still have our back (even after all the crap you've had to take over the years. You sure as s##t have more patience than I do).

In one way I am proud to be a LightWave 3d user, in another way, I am ashamed that LightWave users include certain types of ungrateful, entitled, all too vocal with their negativity individuals who are part of the same community that I belong to.

I may be a lone voice but just know that you have at least one happy customer. If there are others, I invite you to join me and make your voice heard over the all the Negative Nancies out there. They don't represent all of us in the community and it's about time we happy users made ourselves known.
    Nice to see the other side of the coin, so to speak. Cheers!
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    BTW, how does one pronounce "Vizrt"? Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel.
    It's pronounced as Viz-R-T, short for Visualization Real-Time. Speaking as an ex-Vizrt employee....

The company has a history of killing off unprofitable products, I myself experienced two products dead during my short tenure there.

I expect this post to be removed so enjoy the truth while it's still out here.
    Last edited by blackmondy; 04-09-2019 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmondy View Post
    It's pronounced as Viz-R-T, short for Visualization Real-Time. Speaking as an ex-Vizrt employee....

The company has a history of killing off unprofitable products, I myself experienced two products dead during my short tenure there.

What products did they kill off? Were they made obsolete or redundant by other products that they had?

Hopefully Lightwave is at least a little profitable but we can only guess.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    What products did they kill off? Were they made obsolete or redundant by other products that they had?

Hopefully Lightwave is at least a little profitable but we can only guess.
    I'm referring to Vizrt killing off products, not Newtek. The products they killed off are broadcast-related software.

Well Newtek let my favorite video editing software (Speed Edit) die a slow death so nothing too different than before. (It was incredible for its time, 10 years later and there is still nothing out there with similar speed) Lightwave is much bigger in every sense but SoftImage was huge and it dissapeared after it was bought by the evil empire so who knows.

The company has a history of killing off unprofitable products.
    There is a name for companies that do that. They're called "businesses". Sometimes a product, however cool or beloved, proves to be unsustainable, for any number of reasons. Nothing remarkable about this.

I can't imagine why. Nothing you wrote is contentious.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I haven't really been keeping up with this, so I'm curious if there has been any more insight in regards to Vizrt & Lightwave. Was Lightwave apart of the sale or is Lightwave its own separate thing now?
    Mac Pro
    3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache
    32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
    1TB PCIe-based SSD
    Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

Vizrt acquired NewTek and LightWave was included as a part of that deal. It has been stated that so far, there are no changes affecting LightWave and that it is business as usual...for now. It was also stated by more than one NewTek source that the merger of the two companies did not result in a duplication of product or services, so from that there is reason to believe that LightWave has a path forward. But for now, it is wait and see to hear what that might be. Personally, I see a definite future for LightWave, but of course, that's just my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    Vizrt acquired NewTek and LightWave was included as a part of that deal. It has been stated that so far, there are no changes affecting LightWave and that it is business as usual...for now. It was also stated by more than one NewTek source that the merger of the two companies did not result in a duplication of product or services, so from that there is reason to believe that LightWave has a path forward. But for now, it is wait and see to hear what that might be. Personally, I see a definite future for LightWave, but of course, that's just my personal opinion.
    I was at NAB two weeks ago and looped by the Newtek booth a couple times. You would have no idea that Lightwave exists if all you did was experience the booth. No behind the booth workstations running Lightwave, no signage indicating Lightwave, no demos. Yes, I know... NAB is a broadcast convention with a focus on video gear, Siggraph is for that. Funny that... I don't remember Lightwave at last Siggraph either.

Over my 30 year span of going to NAB Lightwave was PLENTY apparent in the past and represented as a proud and valuable product of Newtek. NAB was important enough that there was at least a couple new LW releases announced at NAB time over the years. I asked a couple of the demo people jokingly what time the LW demo would be. Kiki just laughed, but one guy didn't even know what I was talking about.

I can't predict the future, but it's difficult to believe the fate of Lightwave is improved by this acquisition.

I'm not too worried about it not being at NAB or Siggraph. I've heard conventions like this aren't the same as they used to be and they're very pricey to have a booth set up.
    Mac Pro
    3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache
    32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
    1TB PCIe-based SSD
    Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

I've actually designed and built a 20' by 20' booth for a company showing at NAB and helped do the setup/tear down a couple years in a row (and used Lightwave of course for all product renders and booth signage). It is indeed expensive at every stage.

I guess I'm just disappointed that the focus has shifted so far away from Lightwave that it isn't worth a single line of text or signage at a major convention where it used to be prominent. What event/venue/outlet is Lightwave "featured" anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwyhart View Post
    I'm not too worried about it not being at NAB or Siggraph. I've heard conventions like this aren't the same as they used to be and they're very pricey to have a booth set up.
    Oops, you dribbled a little Kool-aid on yourself while saying that.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast