Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Vizrt acquires NewTek

I am cautiously optimistic and I'm reminded of some of direction Chilton's work was going with LightWave and VR and Augmented Reality, Glycon and all that. Vizrt's tagline seems to be "unleash visual storytelling" and to me, that's what LW has always been about. All of these technologies are emerging quickly. Unity's software updates nearly every couple of weeks and I can't keep up with it. From the news article I read, New Tek and LightWave will keep their names, the company will remain based in San Antonio, and according to this thread, no imminent plans to stop development. Even as a for-profit, I can't imagine Vizrt's doesn't see the legacy and value of LW, and fortunately, for LW, it is a very modular system. One that could be adapted to be more in line with VR, AR, and Glycon kind of things. I saw something very similar happen with Sony Vegas Pro. Development seem to slow and eventually Vegas was sold to Berlin-based Magix, which then took over and made great strides at improving the process. Development teams were kept in the US and Germany and they work jointly. It was a little bumpy, but now Vegas seems to be getting its footing back. I'm crossing my fingers its the same thing here. I am hoping that Vizrt's sees the value in LW and realizes with some TLC it fits in with their vision and model or at least complements it. I do agree that being supportive of them is helpful and I too will be looking at their products more closely now. Here's to wishing Vizrt much success in these regards.

http://www.siliconhillsnews.com/2019...n-based-vizrt/

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    It's Norwegian... so its kinda like... "Veeze-Rutt". (rhymes with sneeze butt)

You need try saying it with the put on viking accent to get it. Roll the R a lil.
    Just found out today that me and my siblings have DNA related to a Norwegian origin ..about 35%, mostly 65 % swedish, and there is also some Irish origins as well,and some more...have to wait to get the map chart from my brother though.
    I still donīt get the Veeze-rutt

I have a hard time believing that one company would purchase another without taking a very long hard look at all of the target's assets in detail. If it's true they haven't even talked about Lightwave yet it only shows how small a fish it is in a now even larger pond. I can't see LW continuing to evolve in its current form or direction. I'm thinking this may be the opportunity to use my Core upgrade discount one last time.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Point is, clearly LW did not play a significant role in why Vizrt acquired Newtek -- were it otherwise, it would have been discussed already, and Cross says it wasn't. LW is just "an additional product that Newtek produces" in Vizrt's eyes.
    That is not exactly what Cross said What I said is that there are a lot of amazing technologies in both companies that detailed plans need to be made for and Lightwave is one of those technologies.

I know everyone wants all the answers, I do as well, but also the reality is that you bring companies together with a market strategy and I think we have actually been pretty clear what that is; maybe clearer than 90% of all companies that merge or acquire. That strategy then impacts almost every area of the company ... ranging from whether you use shared letter-head, whether you use one web site, up to what the product strategies are. The details of that strategy are worked on over time and this is entirely normal, no-one should interpret this as some hidden plot or nefarious scheme (but I really did like some of the conspiracy theories in this thread, and I also know that a lot of people will never beleive any of what we say anyway).

Finally, one message that comes through loud and clear on these forums is that Lightwave users want to see some change; this is change and while we do not know every last detail and there is no way that we can ever do everything for everyone, we love Lightwave as much or more than anyone and have shown that in our steadfast commitment to it for 20+ years both when it is doing well and when it is not.

Feel free to beat me or NewTek up, that is fine But feel free to help us shape the future and make suggestions as well .

Andrew

i Completely understand that even a rough layout cannot be presented at this time.

further, if it was, i wouldn't believe it.

all we can do is stay positive and look forward.

It's Norwegian...
    the name, they copied the English "Viz" and "RT"(realtime) so no Norwegian influence there. (unfortunately ?)

Viking style pronunciation is [Hviss-Ahrrt]

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

I would like to add that while I totally understand that a business is a business and needs to make money, I also realize that not everyone in successful businesses is in it just for the money. Some business leaders have a vision or a passion for what they are doing and while they might be making money in one area, they are willing to take a hit in others because they believe in what they are doing.

If you look at Blender, that is supposedly all about the vision and passion and has nothing to do with money, but even they need to ask for donations to keep things afloat. I look at Amazon and Jeff Bezos and again, he is taking a loss on certain things simply because he has a passion and vision or whatever you want to call it.

I sincerely hope that Vizrt is the same way. That it is about having a vision and being passionate about what they are doing, and while I get the need to make money, I hope that's not what it is all about. There's Wall Street and hedge funds if that's the primary interest.

If I were wealthy, I'd buy LightWave myself and promote it.

Vizrt has it now and I am trusting they can not only see its potential, but its legacy and what it means to the people who still use it.

To point out the obvious: Vizrt did not just acquire lightwave it also has all of Newtek including Newtek management. So whatever Vizrt intends for lightwave will likely be basically what Newtek intends for lightwave. I doubt Vizrt is going to go in and start telling the guys in Texas how to manage their teams because that is a great way to wreck a company (unless things start falling apart, at which point all bets are off) I don’t think this changes a whole lot of the calculus for lightwave honestly.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    the name, they copied the English "Viz" and "RT"(realtime) so no Norwegian influence there.
    Oh its a gag... yknow, when someone asks how some weird word is pronounced and you tell em some complete nonsense in the hope they'll actually try using it... for the lulz.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

hope they change it though, no fan of Vizrt [VissUhrt]

update; found that the Norwegian company was sold to Nordic Capital, a company of Swedish origin.

damn Swedes...
    Last edited by erikals; 04-06-2019 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    i Completely understand that even a rough layout cannot be presented at this time.

further, if it was, i wouldn't believe it.

all we can do is stay positive and look forward.

the name, they copied the English "Viz" and "RT"(realtime) so no Norwegian influence there. (unfortunately ?)

Viking style pronunciation is [Hviss-Ahrrt]

call it WIZARD! (or in german „Hexenmeister“ or "Zauberer")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard

snip safx

Agree, way better!

Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post

... But feel free to help us shape the future and make suggestions as well .

Andrew
    I'll bite:

<1> Fix the forum, start with a decent new theme, implement image uploads and thumbnails displayed directly inside the board * like we have been suggesting for 5 years* an even better idea would be to actually segregate and build a LightWave dedicated forum
    <2> Enable LightWave Apprentice - Free - aimed towards schools / new users **grassroots**
    <3> Introduce 10 hours of basic training orientated around the fundamentals of LightWave
    <4> Fix the box art that is being circulated, it's embarrassing
    <5> Bring back merchandize, Wavers love a good T-shirt
    <6> Design and create an eco system for uploads and presets
    <7> Watching Tutorial Tuesday for Tricaster enlightens me somewhat an yet frustrates oneself, why the hell cant the same effort and attention be shown towards LW?
    <8> Social Media - that's all whole can of worms but you seriously need to up your game, there's top quality artist(s) producing outstanding work and it's brushed aside or completely neglected, why ?
    <9> The Facebook group I built up over 7 years is now in your court, yet you fail to pick up the ball and play ... <disclaimer> although I see an uptrend in staff-user interaction <>
    <10> for a broadcasting/leading tech company it infuriates me that you have no interaction with your user base * hangouts * live streaming * interviews * ANYTHING !
    <11> on the subject of user interaction, whenever a staff member does engage they are so hamstrung tiptoeing around NTeks red-tape and political minefield, we never get an honest or straight answer, it's always marketing spiel 101 and I can assure you the community reject this and see right through it...
    <12> all the little division and factions you inadvertently created when you split the community during core development needs to be amended and brought back under one banner
    <12.5> I'll skip 13 because because you need all the luck you can get... but I'll reiterate just to echo my feelings MAKE LW FREE FOR SCHOOLS
    <14> you will notice a downtrend in 3rd party developers, that burden lays completely on your shoulders, the incentive to make plugins and tools is diminishing faster than this post
    <15> Midweek highlights / NEWS, it takes me 30 mins to sit down once a week and curate a bunch of awesome stuff that your user base generantes,with official channel / backing /branding, the reach would 10 fold are you honestly telling me you can't afford the time or staff for this task ?
    <16> The quality of tutorials being delivered of late has been outstanding, yet you fail to capitalize, there's an array of top artists willing to spend time and effort helping the community, yet you still fail to see and leverage this.
    <17> yearly international LW users meetup, I recommend Amsterdam as its central for most europeans, i've been to more of these meet and greets than your own staff " that's telling" ... they are good fun.
    <18> A budget for artists to create a techdemo / animation " you know since its an animation tool "
    <19> A demoreel that dosn't make LW look like its still stuck in the 90's
    <20> official acknowledgement from Vizrt that they actually know we exists...

I aint even going to indulge in the software aspect ....
    Last edited by OnlineRender; 04-06-2019 at 07:00 AM.

some of my favorites copied >
    <2> Enable LightWave Apprentice - Free - aimed towards schools / new users **grassroots**
    <6> Design and create an eco system for uploads and presets
    <7> Watching Tutorial Tuesday for Tricaster enlightens me somewhat, why the hell cant the same effort and attention be shown towards LW?
    <9> The Facebook group I built up over 7 years is now in your court, yet you fail to pick up the ball and play ... <disclaimer> although I see an uptrend in staff-user interaction
    <10> for a broadcasting/leading tech company it infuriates me that you have no interaction with your user base
    <14> you will notice a downtrend in 3rd party developers, that burden lays completely on your shoulders
    <17> yearly international LW users meetup, I recommend Amsterdam as its central for most europeans,.. they are good fun.
    <19> A demoreel that doesn't make LW look like its still stuck in the 90's
    <20> official acknowledgement from Vizrt that they actually know we exists...
    Last edited by erikals; 04-06-2019 at 07:25 AM.

meh.

we're far from that conclusion.

that's like saying we won't land humans on Mars the first 10 years. it might happen, it might not.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast