Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Vizrt acquires NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    yeah, ive seen no mention of lw, it’s all about video.

it’s not good. don’t want to see it die off

now i get why origami digital started doing houdini tools ;-p
    Vizrt is massively invested in Unreal and real time graphics. This is a great fit IMo, particularly if they are sharing tech. LW is already well integrated into Unreal and brings value to Vizrt.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I am sorry to have to point this out, but as conspiracy theories goes, this one needs a lot of work. It omits many important elements of the story. What about the fact that the President of the United States is threatening to close the U.S/Mexico border? The resignation of the Algerian president? The recent reluctance of the Pope to allow his ring to be kissed? The very suspicious fact that one of NewTek's servers is identified as "Area 51"? The plans to develop a "Space Force", and go back to the moon? And so, so much more.

Y'all need to go back to the drawing board until you come up with a unified theory that encompasses these items and many, many more.
    You missed the biggest one going for almost 3 years now.

As NOT seen in late night pundit shows disguised as comedy.

The merge doesn't really bother me.

As long as LW keeps its current licensing, providing fixes and interesting new releases I keep using the latest version. The slightest move towards online or node locked licensing and I'm out.

I guess nothing will change until LW2020 since that development is already going on - its future depends how well that turns out.

In order for it to be successful and well received by potential new users, I consider basic (parametric) modeling tools in Layout and a massive UI/UX refresh essential.

Overall and longterm in the 3D industry I see a trend that there will only be one (free) software available as a viable option for most hobbyists (meaning low / no cost and user friendly licensing).

LW in motion graphics is not realistic in my opinion, I cannot imagine anyone working in that area having interest in LW. In Europe and large parts of the States for most design studios, set design, 3D broadcast, product viz and mograph related stuff is already covered with other solutions and mostly satisfied users.
    Last edited by Marander; 04-02-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Slightly concerning that "However, many Vizrt users rely on Maxon Cinema 4D for early 3D development before bringing models into Viz Virtual Studio." So I hope LW isn't elbowed out
    There're 2 sensible roads really... On the one hand, it makes sense not to sink money into LW dev if users have a commonly adopted 3D app to fit the needs. On the other, to have your own 3D app that can be tailored to the needs of the users and ecosystem also makes a lot of sense.

I'd imagine the most likely outcome will be that VizRT keep LW going for at least a few years to explore how well it can integrate and how the uptake goes before making any real long term decision to keep or can it.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    There're 2 sensible roads really... On the one hand, it makes sense not to sink money into LW dev if users have a commonly adopted 3D app to fit the needs. On the other, to have your own 3D app that can be tailored to the needs of the users and ecosystem also makes a lot of sense.

I'd imagine the most likely outcome will be that VizRT keep LW going for at least a few years to explore how well it can integrate and how the uptake goes before making any real long term decision to keep or can it.
    To achieve this LW should be entirely procedural, and focused in motion graphics and also to be a good unreal asset creator.

In this case, modeler should evolve A LOT to compete with other packages. The advantage of cinema4d is that is somewhat intuitive and visual for new users. Some serious thoughts have to be made here.
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

As a side note, Blender is getting Everything Nodes, which will become a free mograph platform (it currently has Animation Nodes, from the same developer, but as an external addon).

As I suspect, my wise is that we're not getting some archviz specialization in the future, if Lw continues.

Salvador Ureņa

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Kiwi View Post
    You would think so. The fact that they haven't even said "Hi we will let you know what is happening with Lightwave soon". Kind of shows their intentions.
    Exactly so.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Foundry has changed hands 3 times. The first two were investment firms who buy and sell companies as part of their business. The newest buyer, Roper, is not in that line of buying and selling so it would appear that Foundry has a long term owner at this point. And yes, Modo isn't a Foundry cash cow like Nuke, but it does hold its own and its sales were up last year over the previous year. LW on the other hand we all know is being supported with the sale of its tricaster/video lineup and by the good graces of Tim Jenison himself who just sold all of his stock to VizRT. So not really an apt comparison. The ball is all in VizRT's court now and well... they didn't exactly talk about LW in the articles about the sale of Newtek so what they do is really anyone's guess at this point.
    It will really come down to money and business as it always does. Vizrt will likely give Lightwave a chance over the next few years to see if it can be profitable and is worth keeping around.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    One thing which made me smile, as it hadn't occurred to me - "Not making the list, but we have to wonder, does this also mean the end of Kiki Stockhammer?" I sincerely hope not.
    I've no doubt Kiki will outlast us all (and she likely already has all of the necessary accouterments for the ride of the Valkyries).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by Asticles View Post
    To achieve this LW should be entirely procedural, and focused in motion graphics and also to be a good unreal asset creator.

In this case, modeler should evolve A LOT to compete with other packages. The advantage of cinema4d is that is somewhat intuitive and visual for new users. Some serious thoughts have to be made here.
    Agreed. C4D is heavily entrenched in motion graphics, and unless Lightwave is more or less on par with C4d, even when given away for free, I just don't see anyone giving up their beloved C4D for this type of work. Lightwave's basic architecture is not quite compatible with this workflow (yet?).

It requires a LOT of investment of time and money to get Lightwave up to speed in this area. Which I just don't see happening if I were Virtz, because the market is already dominated by C4D. Unless they are absolutely invested in attempting to take over a chunk of the C4D market. Which I don't think is the case here.

But whatever happens, happens.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    It will really come down to money and business as it always does. Vizrt will likely give Lightwave a chance over the next few years to see if it can be profitable and is worth keeping around.
    But that will only work if Lightwave keeps developing...
    Andy Webb

Intel core i7-3820 3.60GHz
    Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard
    GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

there is no sanctuary....
    It's quickly devolving in to a 'we're all gonna die in 12 years if we don't take everyone's money and spend it on carbon credits' discussion lol.
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 417.71
    LW 2019.1 x64
    Space Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Agreed. C4D is heavily entrenched in motion graphics, and unless Lightwave is more or less on par with C4d, even when given away for free, I just don't see anyone giving up their beloved C4D for this type of work. Lightwave's basic architecture is not quite compatible with this workflow (yet?).

It requires a LOT of investment of time and money to get Lightwave up to speed in this area. Which I just don't see happening if I were Virtz, because the market is already dominated by C4D. Unless they are absolutely invested in attempting to take over a chunk of the C4D market. Which I don't think is the case here.

But whatever happens, happens.
    Having a native toolset will be a huge advantage and I imagine users will appreciate not having to maintain another package to do their work. Will VizRT want to invest in LW's development enough to do this or will they be content having their users continue with their current workflows? If LW is developed and integrated nicely, will it still remain relevant to other markets?

There's too much uncertainty. Now that Substance is gone (for me, at least) I may need to reevaluate my own toolset.

If Pixologic sells out, I'm selling my computer.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    It's quickly devolving in to a 'we're all gonna die in 12 years if we don't take everyone's money and spend it on carbon credits' discussion lol.
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post
    If LW is developed and integrated nicely, will it still remain relevant to other markets?
    Look at C4D and their tight integration with the Adobe toolsets. that worked out well for them. LW now has a chance to be better integrated into the real time market. I feel that would benefit all long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    yup. I am more optimistic. REAL virtual sets are the future, and having an tool in your ecosystem that allows for content creation has a lot of advantages. But there are challenges like an OVERHAUL of the LW interface, more deep implementation of UNREAL shaders, procedural modeling tools and a new TEXT engine in Layout.

But I am exited. Real time is the future. And Lw big close to Unreal it a GREAT thing.
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 04-02-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

You should be able to preview what you will see on the engine. Will this be the abandon of the offline render and the develop of a realtime viewport engine to match unreal or unity?

Also, to model in an environment like marmoset would be the best option for this market. But what invest of money you should need to achieve this?

Salvador Ureņa

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast