Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Vizrt acquires NewTek

OK maybe I went too far with that statement, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. By no means Blender or LightWave are bad, but in parts they are not on the same level as others, specially in efficiency and stability. Still, I do not understand why spending a couple of thousand bucks for the main work tool should be an issue for a professional in most regions.
    Last edited by Marander; 04-03-2019 at 12:12 AM.

Maya cost $2170.00 per year here in AUS. On top of that I have 20 render nodes. Redshift is $700 per node (maya dosnt have any render licences anymore) So just to buy into maya and get some rendering licences I have to fork out $16,170.
    Then each year I would have to pay another $2170 for Maya and $351 per node update for Redshift. $9190 Per year it would cost me to use Maya and redshift. Blender costs $0
    You would also have to buy a network render controller like Deadline. Not sure what that costs but a few more grand I would say.

C4D cost just over 8k to buy here. Then maintenance of around $900 per year. You also have to by a network licence of about 1k if you want to network render with it using a third party controller like Deadline.

If I can get the same about of work and quality of work out of Blender then I cant think of a reason not to. And then I can use the money I have saved on other things to do with the business or holidays for the family.
    For me its not cheap its smart.

@3D Kiwi holy sh... I had no idea software prices are so much higher in NZ. But in one way they have to punish you for living in such a nice country :-)

Well I am lucky I am in Aussie, Born in NZ. I think the costs are even worse in NZ.

I think Adobe costs about $50 in the US where it is around $80 here per month.

As I comparison, I paid about $2k for Cinema 4D Studio (actually $800 for Broadcast as a LightWave sidegrade and $1200 for the Studio upgrade later, both when they were in promotion + the yearly maintenance of $650 which is optional), for RedShift I payed $400, for Vray a bit more.

First you call me cheap and then you start showing off. whats next you report me to Blender foundation for using a cracked copy of Blender.... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    OK maybe I went too far with that statement, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. By no means Blender or LightWave are bad, but in parts they are not on the same level as others, specially in efficiency and stability. Still, I do not understand why spending a couple of thousand bucks for the main work tool should be an issue for a professional in most regions.
    This is the same for all tools. The UV tools in C4D and viewport rendering is not as good as in Blender. Maya’s animation tools is better than most. Blender realtime render is better than most other dcc apps etc. you know it continues, there is no perfect app. Usually you choose the tool that best fits your hand and it doesn’t always have to do with money. To buy a Ferrari just to commute is not cheap but I wouldn’t call it smart either. To call all LW and Blender users cheap is a little over the top.

not just NZ, its the same here in UK, the added tax and fluctuating exchange rate and super low interest rate makes it impossible, i would have to put half what i earn back in to yearly software if i wanted to use Autodesk products in place of my more budget software, but i don't think im too hard off being as i just bought a house for nearly half a mill! but house prices in UK is another sore point, a 4 bed house in my area is almost twice the price of a 3 bed, but 20 years ago the same two houses had a 20% price difference! seems software companies followed that same model!
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Kiwi View Post
    First you call me cheap and then you start showing off. whats next you report me to Blender foundation for using a cracked copy of Blender.... :-)
    LOL

I'd love to live in Australia or New Zealand but I learned today I'd have to buy all the software beforehand or be doomed to use Blender in the outback.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    This is the same for all tools. The UV tools in C4D and viewport rendering is not as good as in Blender. Maya’s animation tools is better than most. Blender realtime render is better than most other dcc apps etc. you know it continues, there is no perfect app. Usually you choose the tool that best fits your hand and it doesn’t always have to do with money. To buy a Ferrari just to commute is not cheap but I wouldn’t call it smart either. To call all LW and Blender users cheap is a little over the top.
    Thanks this makes sense. No 3D software is perfect and there are some goodies or deficiencies in each specific app. That's why I also use LW and Blender additionally. I see the advantages of Eevee but Blender 2.8 has not been stable for me so far. But as a main 3D software for most use cases, specially LW is not an option for me.

I don't know how many of us could make this work if 25 years ago there wasn't a software/hardware house that had cheap prices for a software that was running on cheap computers... I bet all of us hadn't so many money at 20 y.o. to put in a "professional" 3d software running on a professional silicon graphics.
    NT wants to continue to have cheap prices like 25 years ago, nothing changed in $, but now that we are 40/50 y.o. we need to say "oh, cheap price isn't professional, buy other"? Really? We must only say "thankyou NT"!!! A lot of us fight every day with customers that want pay less for more work, with bills, with home/family costs... Find better customer is a solution that not always is possible, or at least in not all the countries. We do all what we can and many of us do some very high quality works, better than people with maya/cinema/max and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Thanks this makes sense. No 3D software is perfect and there are some goodies or deficiencies in each specific app. That's why I also use LW and Blender additionally. I see the advantages of Eevee but Blender 2.8 has not been stable for me so far. But as a main 3D software for most use cases, specially LW is not an option for me.
    We all do different work and therefore the preferd app can differ. I don’t use LW as my main app anymore either, I use Blender now. I get better quality faster and it’s more fun to work with. Eevee just saved my butt when my render times got too long to be able to deliver my last animation in time. Instead of 1-10 min per frame I got down to 5-10 sec per frame. Quality wise: not as good as cycles but good enough to keep the client happy. No other expensive dcc app could have helped me better than what Blender did, that’s for cheap.
    Last edited by Ztreem; 04-03-2019 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfrick View Post
    I don't know how many of us could make this work if 25 years ago there wasn't a software/hardware house that had cheap prices for a software that was running on cheap computers... I bet all of us hadn't so many money at 20 y.o. to put in a "professional" 3d software running on a professional silicon graphics.
    NT wants to continue to have cheap prices like 25 years ago, nothing changed in $, but now that we are 40/50 y.o. we need to say "oh, cheap price isn't professional, buy other"? Really? We must only say "thankyou NT"!!! A lot of us fight every day with customers that want pay less for more work, with bills, with home/family costs... Find better customer is a solution that not always is possible, or at least in not all the countries. We do all what we can and many of us do some very high quality works, better than people with maya/cinema/max and so on.
    That's not the point. 3D was very niche 20 years ago, when Maya was like $20k and an SGI Octane workstation $50k. Today 3D software is much more common to use and 3D hardware is very cheap compared to before. Yes, LightWave helped making it available to more users. But that was then.

Thing is - is it worth using an outdated and inefficient workflow when the price difference is only $2-3k but saves you time in the end and is more fun to work with? Quality / end result is first down to the individual artist but the right tool helps too. The 3D market is huge nowadays (archviz, product viz, product design, shop design, previz, concept art, tv commercials / mograph, broadcast, infographs, kids shows, movies, marketing, magazines, game content, (F)UI design, VR / AR etc.). I have friends who freelance in this field, there is lots of work and interesting projects available.

About quality: There are exceptions of course but compare the LightWave gallery and what users of other software create or what's on Artstation, I think it speaks for itself.
    Last edited by Marander; 04-03-2019 at 01:50 AM.

architecture yes effectively, I am an architect and user of Lightwave since almost 20 years now, there is a huge user potential in architecture, there are thousands of architecture agencies in each country, so yes make accessible lightwave to all these small structures can be a winning point also .I am confident with Newtek's executives, they have always had a reasoned business policy.
    Just, Lightwave needs to modernize even more to become attractive and powerfull.

You have to find a balance between cost and workflow. I can really only compare with Softimage.
    The render pass system in SI was the best around at the time, Thet may even still be the case.

It saved countless hours of work with its ease of setup and the when clients came back with changes.
    I once had a scene with 172 render passes in SI. Rendered it out, then the client wanted a simple change to the camera movement.

Re did the camera, took about half and hour and straight back on the farm, It would submit all 172 passes at once. That would have taken days with Lightwave.

I am finding Blender 2.8 pretty stable and workflow wise for what I do it is great. No real slowdowns compared with SI. Render pass system isnt as good but still very workable.

So I couldn't justify the 2k Autodesk would be charging for SI now if they had kept it.

Now if I was trying to do high end VFX with Bender because I was to cheap to buy Houdini, that would be a problem.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast