Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Vizrt acquires NewTek

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    it's true, 100%
    www.oslobors.no is a reliable source. they handle all the Norwegian stocks.

strange date, but hey.

If you are coming with such a statement, you should include direct link...
    https://newsweb.oslobors.no/message/473495

Andrew Cross posted in the Tricaster section. https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...=1#post1568273

Hopefully they'll talk about what it means for LW soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    you should include direct link...
    thanks, fixed.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Well VizRT sure didn't buy NT for LW. So it remains to be seen if they even need it.

TrueArt Support
    The future will be bright when the Sun will turn to red giant, which will grow, and emit enormous amount of light..

The future will be bright when the Sun will turn to red giant, which will grow, and emit enormous amount of light..
    lighten up.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    This makes sense as Tim Jenison probably wanted to retire at some point. These things never happen on a whim so that kind of explains the firings of Rob and gang - they were making the books look good for LW. So I guess we can be grateful they got canned - lose a few to save the many as well as the product.
    Can I just say, as someone conversant with most aspects of the matters you raise, that this - and the similar post by another correspondent - are by far the least accurate suppositions I've read this month (and I read a LOT).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Havent seen a single mention about Lightwave. I wouldn't think Lightwave could work as a standalone company

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D Kiwi View Post
    I wouldn't think Lightwave could work as a standalone company
    The all LW devs could fit in my apartment with beds for them...

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Well VizRT sure didn't buy NT for LW. So it remains to be seen if they even need it.
    I agree, that is the BIG question mark. If Lightwave has not been bundled up and sold off to another company in the next few years and current development is at least maintained then it will probably be fine and will stay the course for years to come. I sure hope things go well for Lightwave under this change.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 04-01-2019 at 07:08 PM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

The all LW devs could fit in my apartment with beds for them...
    Was that an offer :-)

Thank god we snuck through this not subscription. Lightwave is something to keep alive for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Can I just say, as someone conversant with most aspects of the matters you raise, that this - and the similar post by another correspondent - are by far the least accurate suppositions I've read this month (and I read a LOT).
    Yep - just speculation for sure, but it fit.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

LW has been around for a while, and since this is a broadcasting focused company it would make sense to rebrand it, or just make it fit better into a motion graphics pipeline. But hey, just my guess.
    OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 64GB RAM, Processor: Intel Core i7-4930K, Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro P5000

Feel sad...

Reading this news, I look back at a quarter of a century of on and off experiences with Lightwave. I recall my first outings with a hacked (sorry!) version of VideoScape on the Amiga near the end of the eighties of the last century, and the stunning unicycle and red lotus animation, which I must have watched at least 20 times the first time I saw it.

And I also are left feeling a deep sadness, because all things must change and inevitably all things end. I said goodbye to Lightwave a little over a year ago, but kept track of the development here. In my mind Lightwave still needs a good kick in the butt to get it up to par with the competition, and unification is of primary importance to make that happen.

The acquisition of Newtek by Vizrt doesn't bode well for Lightwave, in my opinion. As was stated by Steve (Bowie), Lightwave wasn't part of why Vizrt bought Newtek. Other 3d apps already cater very well for the VfX and motion graphics markets, although I have no idea if Vizrt is interested in competing with their own 3d app (Lightwave).

If Lightwave is to survive, it will probably take a quite different direction. Game asset generation seems the last thought on Vizrt's mind, for example.

Perhaps Lightwave will be given away for (almost) free, similar to Davinci and Fusion? Who knows.

Tim always was, I feel, a large driving factor behind Lightwave: when I watched his Vermeer documentary, I could just tell his passion for Lightwave is real. He is getting on, so I don't know.

I do know I feel depressed about all of this, even though I left Lightwave for my own work (although still fire it up occasionally for the odd thing here and there).

Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast