Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Vizrt acquires NewTek

with lw ?

In order for the possibility of LW being implemented into studio pipelines they had to change the renderer.

Quote Originally Posted by VonBon View Post
    In order for the possibility of LW being implemented into studio pipelines they had to change the renderer.
    Maybe not the renderer but the render pass system for sure. Which if you have a dev that is a rendering expert why would you have him work on the UI. So yes, the question should be "why not" put in a better rendering/shading engine when you got someone sitting there?
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    So yes, the question should be "why not" put in a better rendering/shading engine when you got someone sitting there?
    Why not rendering? Simple, because Newtek were being repeatedly begged by a broad base of Lightwave customers to STOP primarily focusing their attention on rendering, and instead focus it on any of the many other areas desperately in need of developer attention and fixes. It isn't just that Newtek chose to focus on surfacing/rendering recently, it's that they ALWAYS primarily focus on surfacing/rendering, very much at the expense of other areas of LW.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

+100 John.

+1000 hr

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Of course.

The admin and business side of VFX may seem relatively boring but could maybe do with expanding for discussion - eg freelance vs small company, or when to open or close a company (then open a different one again ?). But I guess different countries have different legislation.

That's what you pay fiscal advisers for, when to move etc.

Also funding in different sectors & tax relief you would not

get many a Euro based Film made.

Anyway bounced to this, a more current boutique https://quantumdigital.london/

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Why not rendering? Simple, because Newtek were being repeatedly begged by a broad base of Lightwave customers to STOP primarily focusing their attention on rendering, and instead focus it on any of the many other areas desperately in need of developer attention and fixes. It isn't just that Newtek chose to focus on surfacing/rendering recently, it's that they ALWAYS primarily focus on surfacing/rendering, very much at the expense of other areas of LW.
    You know as well as I that they had a posting for a Modeler dev that was on their site forever that apparently never got filled otherwise we might have seen some significant updates there. So my point is they were using the strengths of what they had to work with. And the render buffer system really needed help so why not make a new renderer too if that is the area of expertise that they had devs for. It's hard to expect Modeler improvements when they don't have an expert in that area.
    VisRT/Newtek just needs to decide if they want to invest in LW and grow it, sell it or open source the thing. But decide something.
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 04-25-2019 at 12:16 PM.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Last time I checked LW didn't yet have render passes yet, just render buffers.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Last time I checked LW didn't yet have render passes yet, just render buffers.
    Yeah - that.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    You know as well as I that they had a posting for a Modeler dev that was on their site forever that apparently never got filled otherwise we might have seen some significant updates there.
    And you have to wonder why that post was never filled...
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

And you have to wonder why that post was never filled...
    my guess is that they around 2016 found it redundant when starting to develop the new GeoEngine for Layout,
    since a new Modeler would have to be more tightly hooked up to the new Layout version.

their next move, after Layout, is upgrading the Modeler GeoEngine.
    i would guess that still stands, but would take some time (years?) to do.

how they will upgrade or unify Modeler, no idea.

anyway, anybody's guess now, after all this time...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223