Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Vizrt acquires NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by kopperdrake View Post
    Exciting times. No need to panic - even if the worst came to the worst (which I don't think likely), we've all got several years to learn something new.

If Mr Cross is listening, there are two things I would like most;

1) Modeller love /rebuild. A fast modeller, with built-in functionality that I currently need LWCAD for, great UV tools, etc

2) Real time rendering engine, through Unreal or similar.

Real time is the future, keep the trad render engine going but keep pushing the team time stuff. It will help certain markets immediately - arch viz, product viz and so on, and only move into more and more areas of CGI as the tech improves.
    Is Vizrt's upcoming Viz 4 Engine announcement going to include Lightwave 3D compatibility? They already hinted that it was targeting Unreal Engine, Maya, C4d.

https://www.vizrt.com/community/even...6rtt3CkCis7t9E
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie2Strokes View Post
    Is Vizrt's upcoming Viz 4 Engine announcement going to include Lightwave 3D compatibility? They already hinted that it was targeting Unreal Engine, Maya, C4d.
    Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't LW already have the advantage over Maya and 4D for being better compatibility with Unreal anyway ? Also, is it for LW to grow Visrt or Visrt to grow LW ? I must admit to being a bit boggled, like not seeing how a TriCaster system fits next to a Viz system in a workflow, but I suspect it is a marriage of NDI tech rather than software, so LW could just remain "independent". I think it better if LW is quietly ignored and allowed to flourish in development as an insect in the system by a gargantuan new owner.....than swatted like a fly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't LW already have the advantage over Maya and 4D for being better compatibility with Unreal anyway ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wQhM8vcdJQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exhmVcrM--g
    Last edited by Ztreem; 04-23-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Many thanks Ztreem, but I believe LW also has Live Link with Unreal, though I have not tested personally. When I said "better integrated", I seem to remember a snippet about LW/Unreal multi-user capability which I believe was unique to LW (?). The vids are great though.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't LW already have the advantage over Maya and 4D for being better compatibility with Unreal anyway ?
    Don't know for Maya for C4D has an Unreal bridge since a while. And Unity can even load c4d Files natively.

LW's Unreal bridge works well but considering LWs shortcomings in various areas, no I don't see an advantage.

These 3rd party integrations are problematic in a way because they only work for specific versions of the product. Now there is an update for Unreal 4.22 for the LightWave plugin available but not yet for Cinema 4D, so indeed there is a slight advantage atm for LW but that situation changes all the time, it just depends if and how quick the developers keep updating the integration.

Yeah Maya and C4D have Unreal, Blender has an add-on for Unreal, Houdini has the Houdini engine for putting procedural assets into Unreal, Max has datasmith, Modo has the Unreal and Unity bridge....

What exactly is this Viz 4 Engine they're announcing today? It's obviously for live broadcast/presentation purposes.

today there was a discussion regarding some lw assets in a project. the comment..
    “is that still around?”
    if i had a dollar for every time i’ve heard that.

actually something that ties into this; have a read of what david ridlen posted on lwiki

great
    Last edited by gar26lw; 04-23-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    today there was a discussion regarding some lw assets in a project. the comment..
    “is that still around?”
    if i had a dollar for every time i’ve heard that.

actually something that ties into this; have a read of what david ridlen posted on lwiki

great
    No luck finding the post on LW wiki, what did he say?
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    No luck finding the post on LW wiki, what did he say?
    I think the post in question is the one at the bottom of this thread:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ligh...2423310530326/
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    I think the post in question is the one at the bottom of this thread:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ligh...2423310530326/
    Wow great post.
    I agree with his points. I do wonder how the culture will change in any way with Vizrt in charge. Because frankly it needs too.
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 04-24-2019 at 07:08 AM.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

That is an extremely interesting post by David Ridlen, but surely doesn't tell the whole story. The "more experienced Maya talent available" is derived from something of an industry cartel precisely to keep it that way, since those multi-million dollar budgets must be pretty cut-throat - the same industry that would be quite happy to see other top level competitors die, and quite proactive in bringing about that process which I think is why Softimage did die. And LW cut it's teeth on TV more than film ? Are the needs of a single production scalable to all others ? Maybe that is why NT could not specifically commit to David.

Personally, the factors which puzzled me was the long silence during which I recall NT suffered some sort of major hack, the partings of the way of some public faces of LW, and a new renderer which seemingly no one had requested beforehand. But then again, we had the Expo clip where Andrew Bishop did know in advance. He also said - and this was during the silence - that no one externally mentions Lightwave at his studio but it is quietly used for a significant chunk of the actual work there. Revisit here.

Does this prove anything ? No not at all, I'm just speculating, but isn't it better to harvest a net of Sharknados than be rejected for one Avengers ? I think Vizrt and Unreal will diversify LW even more. Other than that, we can't expect David to carry everything just by himself, so it is on us (inc me) to fill those galleries and show what LW can do today.

Last edited by TheLexx; 04-24-2019 at 07:45 AM.

The "more experienced Maya talent available" is derived from something of an industry cartel precisely to keep it that way, since those multi-million dollar budgets must be pretty cut-throat - the same industry that would be quite happy to see other top level competitors die, and quite proactive in bringing about that process which I think is why Softimage did die.
    Agreed.the studios are pushing for a single Maya workflow to allow for vendors to be able to swap assets.... IN THEORY it is not a bad idea, in practice most studios customize the hell out of Maya. and to be frank studios like the idea that the main industry tool is not friendly AT ALL, for small studios.
    Personally, the factors which puzzled me was the long silence during which I recall NT suffered some sort of major hack, the partings of the way of some public faces of LW, and a new renderer which seemingly no one had requested beforehand.
    What hack? And what was the fallout from it?
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 04-24-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    What hack? And what was the fallout from it?
    As I recall, I couldn't sign in for a long time and the forum was down, then when it finally reappeared I think lots of historical data was lost. I think someone mentioned a server hack at the time, but my memory is hazy. The timing during the silence was odd.

David Ridlen just essentially said what I've been saying all along. NT is LW's worst enemy. In no way have they held LW up as a product like any other company would that would actually want to sell it. Which is a shame because LW had the potential to be a player in the industry instead of the punchline it has become. And there are some very talented coders on the LW team itself. The best thing that could happen would be to get LW out of NT's hands. What VizRT will do with LW remains to be seen, but unless they have plans for it, the future doesn't look good for LW development.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast