Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Vizrt acquires NewTek

I'll just say again that I don't think LW's failing to be a topic a NAB portends a single thing one way or the other. Yes, had it been mentioned, that might have indicated something (though who knows what) ... but the lack of same is completely typical. I only go every two or three years, but I've been associated with NewTek in one form or another for well over 20 years and I can't recall the last time LW was mentioned at NAB at all. So, much ado about nada imho.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I only go every two or three years, but I've been associated with NewTek in one form or another for well over 20 years and I can't recall the last time LW was mentioned at NAB at all. So, much ado about nada imho.
    I guess it was before your time...

https://archive.org/details/NewTekni...ons_US/page/n9
    Last edited by Chuck; 04-22-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Those old NewTeknique magazines (and similar LW) - are they downloadable anywhere please ?

I don't know, but you can read them on-line here...

https://archive.org/details/newtekniques

Those were days of great optimism, with an expanding community of enthusiastic LW users and projects of increasing prominence. It seemed like anything was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I'll just say again that I don't think LW's failing to be a topic a NAB portends a single thing one way or the other. Yes, had it been mentioned, that might have indicated something (though who knows what) ... but the lack of same is completely typical. I only go every two or three years, but I've been associated with NewTek in one form or another for well over 20 years and I can't recall the last time LW was mentioned at NAB at all. So, much ado about nada imho.
    I don't really see LW's lack of mention at NAB as any particular kind of omen.

That said, I absolutely do believe Newtek is doing Lightwave a major disservice by continually failing to have a visible presence for Lightwave at SIGGRAPH. Regardless of any justifications against, the other major 3D pkgs having visible presence at SIGGRAPH is, in and of itself, a strong and compelling reason for Lightwave to have a presence there.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post

That said, I absolutely do believe Newtek is doing Lightwave a major disservice by continually failing to have a visible presence for Lightwave at SIGGRAPH. Regardless of any justifications against, the other major 3D pkgs having visible presence at SIGGRAPH is, in and of itself, a strong and compelling reason for Lightwave to have a presence there.
    one thing that i find troubling more than any of this is the exclusion of lightwave in every plugin list, survey, questionnaire, affiliation, webpage, pdf etc.. it just doesn’t exist.
    that’s the part i’d like to see rectified. if you ask anyone younger these days they have never heard of it.
    the only ones that know of it come from the time of SGI.

as an example, go sign up for the free renderman and take the survey in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post

I agree, I think even a small booth would be better than no booth at all. You don't have to have a large booth at these things to be noticed. When I went to Siggraph 2011 in Vancouver I enjoyed going around to the smaller booths. That was also a the year that Newtek had a booth reserved on the show floor map for Lightwave but decided not to attend and so the booth was turned into a lounge area.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I agree, I think even a small booth would be better than no booth at all. You don't have to have a large booth at these things to be noticed. When I went to Siggraph 2011 in Vancouver I enjoyed going around to the smaller booths. That was also a the year that Newtek had a booth reserved on the show floor map for Lightwave but decided not to attend and so the booth was turned into a lounge area.
    I remember that! That was the first time ever I got to attend Siggraph - something I'd had wanted to do for years and years.

I was really looking forward to seeing Newtek for the first time at Siggraph, and wandering around, I couldn't find them anywhere. Instead, I found a small busy Blender foundation and Krita booth. The next day I discovered that Newtek had decided to bail out for some reason or other. Gutted, I was, because I recall going to a large European trade show in the beginning nineties, and there was a Lightwave booth, and I was hoping to revisit that personal experience at Newtek's 2011 booth.

The Blender booth was pretty great, though, and it was interesting to be talking directly to some of the developers and Ton Roosendaal 'the man himself'. He actually gave me some tips and answered questions of mine. Great guy.

And remember AutoDesk's "don't blend in" quip? Which only served to backfire on them.

Anyway, it's a real shame Newtek management doesn't seem to be that interested (anymore) in these type of events. Understandable from a cost perspective, though. Very costly for a company.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

I was at NAB in 2000 and Lightwave did get quite a bit of coverage on the Newtek stand that year. I'm pretty sure they gave away a couple of full copies as prizes during the week. Heck, I even got to speak to Joe Alter about his 'Shave and a Haircut' plugin at one point. He was demoing it there though not as one of the main onstage presentations. Of course, that was all a very long time ago and I believe it took them a few years to pay off the debt incurred to supply free Krispy Kreme doughnuts to people throughout the week
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Quote Originally Posted by Imageshoppe View Post
    I guess it was before your time...
    Since I was a frequent contributor to NewTekniques, that seems unlikely ... far enough back, though, that it's not in recent memory, which pretty much makes my point.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    I was at NAB in 2000 and Lightwave did get quite a bit of coverage on the Newtek stand that year. I'm pretty sure they gave away a couple of full copies as prizes during the week. Heck, I even got to speak to Joe Alter about his 'Shave and a Haircut' plugin at one point. He was demoing it there though not as one of the main onstage presentations. Of course, that was all a very long time ago and I believe it took them a few years to pay off the debt incurred to supply free Krispy Kreme doughnuts to people throughout the week
    Yes it was at NAB, and for many years during the whole rivalry with Play and their Trinity system... the irony now is that it would now cost much LESS to promote LW a tiny bit at NAB with the existing show infrastructure then to engineer a stand alone booth at Siggraph. Maxon had a booth at NAB this year, just a stones throw from Newtek, and their connection to "video production" is nil.

But a quick look at the homepage at Newtek.com will inform you how much attention LW gets today, and perhaps an insight into the future under Vizrt. "Ah, but LW is important enough to have it's OWN website!". Well great, then it's important enough to promote at the shows... or elsewhere, or at least somewhere. Even the regional shows like the Rocky Mountain Video Expo had a "Lightwave guy" from Newtek on site in years past.

Fun NAB facts... in 2014 it cost 1500US to have a union guy hang a sign from the ceiling... and $2200 to take it down. The moment after the last attendee leaves the halls they turn off the air conditioning and open all the side doors to outside. It's instantly "Vegas Hot" inside while you break things down. The most important 100 dollars you spend on Thursday is the bribe to the forklift driver to get your crates early, else you'll be working at midnight. For the smaller companies they are already pushing you to sign up on Monday for the next year's show space else you'll pay more and get a booth shoved over by the bathrooms. Theft is rampant. My client had to hire a private security guard to sit all night long on a stool in the isle and guard the storage space (filled with cinema cameras) because the booth next to us lost a hundred grand in gear overnight the first day of the show.

sounds delightful

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    Well here's a thought...

We got Lightwave 2018 and we all know Newtek doesn't do yearly updates of Lightwave so we assumed the next version would be 2020. Suddenly Lightwave 2019 appears and we are surprised and wondering does this mean a yearly update to the software. And then the Vizrt buyout happens and suddenly something comes to my mind...

Vizrt use Unreal engine and Lightwave 2019 has the Unreal bridge as a selling point. So my thought (and it's just a thought) is Newtek made Lightwave 2018 and then the Vizrt buyout appeared on the horizon. They saw the company wouldn't have a need for Lightwave in their business model so they quickly make and released Lightwave 2019 with Unreal connectivity in the hope of saving the software.

The Vizrt buyout happens and Vizrt and Newtek announce they will have a joint meeting on the 7th April to talk to the community and tell us what this means. And at that meeting, they talk about a LOT of Newtek's software and hardware developments, but the Lightwave community is ignored because the 2019 update hasn't caught Vizrt's eye and now its future is in limbo.

This is just my thought but the pieces fit together. All Newtek had to do during their big "Community Event" was to say in one line that Lightwave's future is safe for now. But no, it was ignored completely while so much other Newtek stuff was talked about. It casts a bad shadow over Lightwave for me. We need an official statement from Newtek Vizrt on what is happening with Lightwave because their "Community Event" ignored the Lightwave Community .
    By this point Steve and I have commented a number of times and Dr. Andrew Cross has also weighed in. So, there were more than sufficiently official statements well ahead of the National Association of Broadcasters Show community event.

To address things slightly differently: The LightWave developers are all at work, development is continuing as planned and scheduled, and there are at this time no discussions nor plans for it to be otherwise.
    Last edited by Chuck; 04-22-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    The LightWave developers are all at work, development is continuing as planned and scheduled, and there are at this time no discussions nor plans for it to be otherwise.
    Thanks Chuck. When can we expect a patch? I've reverted to 2019.0.2 because of issues with Modeler not showing foreground geo on top of background geo. Annoying! But overall loving the update.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Thanks Chuck, your words are comforting. It also seems to me that your development cost for LW is not out ragious. So if it is still making money I would think there is no good reason to stop what is working.
    The LW Beast From the East

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast