Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Vizrt acquires NewTek

Of course, the software will always be usable, not matter what happens, because licensing is offline.
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureña
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    read line 1 over again
    read line 2 over again

Now thats just a sign of a madman in denial

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Despite eagerness for LW news I do not recall any 3D software ever being discussed at NAB, which tends to be hardware video based with cameras usually stealing the show (at least where I browse. ). Software coverage tends to be more like Resolve, etc.
    Not true. MAXON provides 3 and a half days of news, live streaming and recordings of NAB every year (as well as Siggraph, IBC and other conventions). http://www.c4dlive.com/

The presenters are MAXON employees as well as industry professionals (including hands-on experience tutorials from artists working for Marvel and other blockbuster movies).

MAXON US and UK also provide Cinema 4D quick tips multiple times a week as well as thousand of videos and other resources in their Cineversity for customers. In addition there are countless high quality, up-to-date tutorials available for Cinema on Youtube and Vimeo. Even the comprehensive paid courses from C4DCafe are now available for free.

LW customers are refered to the same old tutorials over and over again.

I have most RH paid courses, they're good but for Cinema I get similar quality content for free.
    Last edited by Marander; 04-08-2019 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Otterman View Post
    Now thats just a sign of a madman in denial
    sure...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Not true. MAXON has 3 and a half days of news, live streaming and recordings of NAB every year (as well as Siggraph, IBC and other conventions). http://www.c4dlive.com/
    Then I stand corrected, thank you Marander though I would just say that despite 4D's monstrous and enviable capability, it is still placed in many minds as a broadcast graphics software and hand in glove with After Effects, so I think that may be a factor. But yeah, egg on face moment for me.

On other matters, c'mon no one is paying debts with any software based on features which might come in a future version. Once a LW workflow is fixed and bolted down (ie workarounds in place ), that's it, anything else is a hope - it takes anyone a while to learn new tricks in other software so it has to roll like that. Just for another perspective - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dPIZ6aIviI
    Last edited by TheLexx; 04-08-2019 at 06:42 AM.

The following has been publicly stated so far.
    1. The merger results in virtually no redundancies.
    2. It is based on the strengths of the two companies, not weaknesses.
    3. Both companies are profitable.
    4. No layoffs are planned.
    5. The merger will not change existing marketing and development of NT products, and LW was specifically mentioned in that regard.
    6. NT will remain in San Antonio.

And with all that, it was clear to me that NT had put significant resources into upgrading LW with not only the 2018 release, but the 2019 one. It would make no sense to be upgrading a program you were planning to phase out.

And so, it seemed, at least pre-merger, that a path forward was being made for LW. And so, I'm cautiously optimistic but I guess we will just have to wait to hear more. I can't imagine NT or Vizrt abandoning LW given all that has already been said along with the promising trajectory NT was (and still is) positioning LW on. And of course, things can always change but I'm hopeful. I don't know how much more NT could say at this stage of the game. For my own selfish reasons, I'm just wanting LW to remain standalone for now but increases interoperability with other programs and for NT to keep doing what they had been doing, which was fine with me. Hopefully, Vizrt will agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Asticles View Post
    Why? Because this is a matter of trust, of trusting that your investment of time and money is not going to go to waste because of a business decision.

In the end, the client is an investor, if you do not give confidence to the investor, he will leave.
    As I said, I understand the anxiety. This does not, however change the realities, which are as I have stated. Another fact, also stated previously:

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    ... even if they had taken a few seconds out from discussing the many video news items the audience came to hear to just just mention LW, would that have really changed anything? Or would we just be subjected to a bunch of people calling it meaningless lip service, which in effect it really would have been?
    I've been here long enough (if memory serves, my first copy of LW was 3.1) to know with certainty it would have resulted in the latter.

We all, users and NewTek alike, could wish the facts were otherwise, but they aren't. And in the end lip service, which is the absolute most anyone could have offered at this juncture, serves no-one; it would do nothing whatsoever to build trust, nor really to clarify things. If the acquisition is going to affect existing LW plans in any way, the decisions will be made in the coming months. This is the truth, and it's unclear to me what benefit there would be in offering something different now.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    when xSI went down the drain, people were still using it for years.
    Well that's for a couple reasons. XSI was kind of a masterpiece in itself, but more important, ICE allowed people to build their own tools so it was very extensible software.

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    And with all that, it was clear to me that NT had put significant resources into upgrading LW with not only the 2018 release, but the 2019 one. It would make no sense to be upgrading a program you were planning to phase out.
    Well here's a thought...

We got Lightwave 2018 and we all know Newtek doesn't do yearly updates of Lightwave so we assumed the next version would be 2020. Suddenly Lightwave 2019 appears and we are surprised and wondering does this mean a yearly update to the software. And then the Vizrt buyout happens and suddenly something comes to my mind...

Vizrt use Unreal engine and Lightwave 2019 has the Unreal bridge as a selling point. So my thought (and it's just a thought) is Newtek made Lightwave 2018 and then the Vizrt buyout appeared on the horizon. They saw the company wouldn't have a need for Lightwave in their business model so they quickly make and released Lightwave 2019 with Unreal connectivity in the hope of saving the software.

The Vizrt buyout happens and Vizrt and Newtek announce they will have a joint meeting on the 7th April to talk to the community and tell us what this means. And at that meeting, they talk about a LOT of Newtek's software and hardware developments, but the Lightwave community is ignored because the 2019 update hasn't caught Vizrt's eye and now its future is in limbo.

This is just my thought but the pieces fit together. All Newtek had to do during their big "Community Event" was to say in one line that Lightwave's future is safe for now. But no, it was ignored completely while so much other Newtek stuff was talked about. It casts a bad shadow over Lightwave for me. We need an official statement from Newtek Vizrt on what is happening with Lightwave because their "Community Event" ignored the Lightwave Community .
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    And then the Vizrt buyout happens and suddenly something comes to my mind...

Vizrt use Unreal engine and Lightwave 2019 has the Unreal bridge as a selling point. So my thought (and it's just a thought) is Newtek made Lightwave 2018 and then the Vizrt buyout appeared on the horizon. They saw the company wouldn't have a need for Lightwave in their business model so they quickly make and released Lightwave 2019 with Unreal connectivity in the hope of saving the software.
    This is a nice and not entirely unlikely bit of reasoning, so kudos for a valiant effort Paul - but I'm sorry to say that it is incorrect. I know with certainty what motivated the Unreal developments, and it was not as suggested (I'll just say that it was a 'win-win' scenario that offered multiple benefits).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

For those who think we're withholding news (whether they see a dark future or a bright one) this quote from the Sports Video Group site's NAB 2019 coverage verifies what I've been saying for a week now:

"When attempting to answer his own question about what happens next, however, CEO Michael Hallén had to admit that, “we haven’t really decided yet”. Yet he did set the combined R&D teams a challenge, asking them to invent “the next big thing” once they start working together."

I'd like to emphasize the last phrase - once they start working together.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Blog Entries

Here's a different thought

Well here's a thought...

We got Lightwave 2018 and we all know Newtek doesn't do yearly updates of Lightwave so we assumed the next version would be 2020. Suddenly Lightwave 2019 appears and we are surprised and wondering does this mean a yearly update to the software. And then the Vizrt buyout happens and suddenly something comes to my mind...
    Yup. With you so far...

Ooorrrrrrr....... negotiations between the two companies have been undergoing for longer than a year (as is quite normal in business acquisitions) and as a result Newtek have been implementing features into LW that the new owner wants, but instead of waiting until the merger is concluded before releasing these features, NewTek said...

"Hey! Wouldn't it be great if we release these features to our users now, so that they can enjoy them without having to wait?"

And Steve Bowie said, "Make it so".

And so it was that in LW 2018 and 2019 we were able to enjoy the tools that everyone else would enjoy post merger and post Vizrt toolset integration. And for their generosity they were rewarded with..... the usual sentiment from the most vocal usual suspects.

Well I for one would like to thank NewTek for their generosity both in including the new features in such a fantastic product and providing a three month upgrade offer on a tool that already offers such amazing value for money. And as a legitimately owned LW 2019 user am proud to know that you guys have not thrown us under the bus and still have our back (even after all the crap you've had to take over the years. You sure as s##t have more patience than I do).

In one way I am proud to be a LightWave 3d user, in another way, I am ashamed that LightWave users include certain types of ungrateful, entitled, all too vocal with their negativity individuals who are part of the same community that I belong to.

I may be a lone voice but just know that you have at least one happy customer. If there are others, I invite you to join me and make your voice heard over the all the Negative Nancies out there. They don't represent all of us in the community and it's about time we happy users made ourselves known.

we've reached a certain point again, i'll jump onboard in the upcoming thread instead >

- LightWave at Siggraph 2019

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Hi. I'm late to the discussion. Is there anything between page 1 and 18 of this topic that would benefit the reader?

After the announcement, the rest is just pointless speculation...and it is probably taking up moderators' precious time to repeatedly point this out. Is there some reason why this topic is not R/O...if not by the moderators...by the participants who should know better than to beat a dead horse? If you're seeking LW longevity, buy/upgrade a license, submit bug/feature requests, etc.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast