Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Vizrt acquires NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    1) Blender was not the only software used in that film, they also used Houdini, FumeFX, Substance etc., so it wasn't possible using Blender alone and
    2) yes Blender certainly helped making the film production cheaper (not saying that the end result looks bad and I like also the official Blender short films)
    3) big Studios and productions like that have usually develop their own tools in addition
    Yeah, Blender contributed for only 95% of the movie and just for niche stuff like modeling, texturing, rigging, animation, dynamics, effects, rendering, editing, compositing...obviously nothing to rave about. "Real" products like Maya, Houdini, and Substance routinely contribute for 100% of projects by themselves. BTW, Blender Animation just released today another movie (Spring), in which I'm sure Blender played a minor role again...but they'll brag about it. Remember, what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve about, so best not to learn about Blender.

QUOTE DR.CROSS web interview by Zak Dillon Apr5th @ Newscaststudio

Where does this acquisition leave Lightwave 3D?

So, that is a really good question, and I need to just be completely honest and say you know,
    every last detail of every last product has not been fully ironed out.
    We have every part of live streaming, and coding, transcoding, media playback, recording.
    You take that, combine that with everything Vizrt have …
    Which is everything from augmented reality to virtual reality, to graphics… and put Lightwave into that,
    what we have is a joint entity that spans really, every part of the market of which 3D and Lightwave is clearly part.

Five years from now, do we expect Lightwave to be exactly as it is today? I would say we’ve failed if it is.
    I think that we need to honestly look at the Lightwave technology, which is an amazing technology,
    and work out how it plays a bigger role.

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2019/...Xcv1FqP4_hzJME

I say sell it off if they won't make new versions. Otherwise, slash thep price and provide service updates for the rest of eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post

Where does this acquisition leave Lightwave 3D?

So, that is a really good question, and I need to just be completely honest and say you know,
    every last detail of every last product has not been fully ironed out.
    Glad I am not a developer.

Five years from now, do we expect Lightwave to be exactly as it is today? I would say we’ve failed if it is.
    I think that we need to honestly look at the Lightwave technology, which is an amazing technology,
    translation - no idea how it fits with anything we care about. Can you read that any other way ? you tell me.

It is simply the art of saying nothing in as many words as possible. Dr Cross would do well in politics I imagine.

What seems to me is that they don't want LW as currently is.
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureña
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

One worst case scenario 5 years from now:

Adobe LightWave CC 2024

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeJoex View Post

Adobe LightWave CC 2024
    Honestly, i'd rather that than see it die altogether.

BTW, how does one pronounce "Vizrt"? Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel.

Quote Originally Posted by Asticles View Post
    What seems to me is that they don't want LW as currently is.
    Something we all can agree with. What direction it should take? Well that is another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimeJoex View Post

Adobe LightWave CC 2024
    To be honest I have been expecting for the past Decade to go to a SIGGRAPH and hear an announcement of
    Cinema 4D CC 20XX.
    I still think it will happen eventually.
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 04-05-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

[COLOR="#FF0000"]Five years from now, do we expect Lightwave to be exactly as it is today? I would say we’ve failed if it is.

Translation is, we really haven't thought about it, but if I say 5 years, that should buy us enough time to keep people buying a few more versions before they catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    translation - no idea how it fits with anything we care about. Can you read that any other way ? you tell me.
    I translate that some of the decision will be with Vizrt, but the merger is still new, hence undecided. I think LW will continue, so I will put aside funds for Vizwave 2020 with Vizgami Toolset.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I translate that some of the decision will be with Vizrt, but the merger is still new, hence undecided.
    Which is essentially the same as what gar26lw said.

Point is, clearly LW did not play a significant role in why Vizrt acquired Newtek -- were it otherwise, it would have been discussed already, and Cross says it wasn't. LW is just "an additional product that Newtek produces" in Vizrt's eyes.

Historically, the outcomes for such "additional products" after mergers/acquisitions are generally negative, but maybe LW will be the exception.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Understood jwiede, I was trying to imply that no-desision doesn't necessarily mean LW is not "anything we care about". I suspect that LW has a lean modular quality to development in that someone, somewhere, post-Rob/Lino, is still making the decisions what to develop for each yearly release, and I think that process can just trundle along even LW is not particularly profitable for now (though as long as it is not a multi-million dollar sink-hole either).
    Last edited by TheLexx; 04-05-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    BTW, how does one pronounce "Vizrt"?
    It's Norwegian... so its kinda like... "Veeze-Rutt". (rhymes with sneeze butt)

You need try saying it with the put on viking accent to get it. Roll the R a lil.
    Last edited by RebelHill; 04-05-2019 at 01:44 PM.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast