Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Vizrt acquires NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by slv View Post
    architecture yes effectively, I am an architect and user of Lightwave since almost 20 years now, there is a huge user potential in architecture, there are thousands of architecture agencies in each country, so yes make accessible lightwave to all these small structures can be a winning point also .I am confident with Newtek's executives, they have always had a reasoned business policy.
    Just, Lightwave needs to modernize even more to become attractive and powerfull.
    yes, and i think if you look at the last few cgarchitect poles you can see lightwave made a bit of a jump this year, lightwave used to have its own section on the forums but was ditched a few years ago, however in the latest rendering pole its almost twice the percentage of modo (i think it was lower last time around), and is above several dedicated renderers i would have expected to be higher,
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Not as high as cycles.. just saying :-)

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    yes, and i think if you look at the last few cgarchitect poles you can see lightwave made a bit of a jump this year, lightwave used to have its own section on the forums but was ditched a few years ago, however in the latest rendering pole its almost twice the percentage of modo (i think it was lower last time around), and is above several dedicated renderers i would have expected to be higher,
    rustythe I have deep respect for the spaceships you created in LightWave. Still outstanding quality work for todays standards. You prove what can be achieved in LightWave, even though I think you would be more efficient in other applications. In the LW Gallery nowadays I see almost nothing compelling anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Kiwi View Post
    Not as high as cycles.. just saying :-)
    Not as high as Unreal. but wait.. isn't Unreal free, so it is only used by cheap people!? Good that I'm cheap (using Blender & LW) so I can utilize it if I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Not as high as Unreal. but wait.. isn't Unreal free, so it is only used by cheap people!? Good that I'm cheap (using Blender & LW) so I can utilize it if I need.
    :-) haha no it's not cheap when you use something because it's best for your workflow. Using Blender, LightWave, Unreal, Unity, Blackmagic or Affinity software is not cheap if it's used for the right tasks where it excels. Otherwise I'm cheap because I use Linux everyday. But I'm using it where it makes sense, not because it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    :-) haha no it's not cheap when you use something because it's best for your workflow. Using Blender, LightWave, Unreal, Unity, Blackmagic or Affinity software is not cheap if it's used for the right tasks where it excels. Otherwise I'm cheap because I use Linux everyday. But I'm using it where it makes sense, not because it's free.
    Then we are on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    rustythe I have deep respect for the spaceships you created in LightWave. Still outstanding quality work for todays standards. You prove what can be achieved in LightWave, even though I think you would be more efficient in other applications. In the LW Gallery nowadays I see almost nothing compelling anymore.
    thanks, that may be so depending on what you do, what i do now is probably a lot different to how i started, lightwave, zbrush and unreal are my main apps now and for the most part of what i do they are far better than max, c4d, revit, because a lot of my work involves tracing and fixing what other users have created in "those" apps and think they can get away with, so it ends up costing them far more in time because they cant fix the errors that the so called faster work flow tools introduce,
    i don't doubt that in most fields the opposite would be true,
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

After looking at all the press releases and investigating VisRT, it looks like the combined efforts of the two companies has a huge upside. And even if LW is a small potato in the whole affair, if it is profitable why would it go away. It may not get any extra resources, but if it shows a profit in its current structure and is easy to manage it should last forever.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    After looking at all the press releases and investigating VisRT, it looks like the combined efforts of the two companies has a huge upside. And even if LW is a small potato in the whole affair, if it is profitable why would it go away. It may not get any extra resources, but if it shows a profit in its current structure and is easy to manage it should last forever.
    Do you believe LW to be profitable? I would doubt it. We've all heard that the video side of NT has been carrying LW for some time and Tim Jenison letting LW continue being the reason LW is still here. And of course Tim/NT just sold all their stock to VizRT. The thing that is telling to me in the language of this acquisition is that nothing is changed by this sale for LW. They fail to mention how LW is strengthened or helped by this acquisition. Which says to me they either haven't decided what to do with LW yet, or that they have no plans at this time. If they wanted to help LW, they would need to invest money and R & D into it and modernize its codebase and make it competitive again. Not merely let it flounder in existence forever like NT has been doing.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 04-03-2019 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Do you believe LW to be profitable? I would doubt it. We've all heard that the video side of NT has been carrying LW for some time and Tim Jenison letting LW continue being the reason LW is still here. And of course Tim/NT just sold all their stock to VizRT. The thing that is telling to me in the language of this acquisition is that nothing is changed by this sale for LW. They fail to mention how LW is strengthened or helped by this acquisition. Which says to me they either haven't decided what to do with LW yet, or that they have no plans at this time. If they wanted to help LW, they would need to invest money and R & D into it and modernize its codebase and make it competitive again. Not merely let it flounder in existence forever like NT has been doing.
    Yeah - it probably is. LW development probably has about 2million give or take in payroll and other expenses a year so it only needs to sell about 5,000 upgrades a year to cover costs, the rest is gravy. In the US that's selling about 100 seats per year per state. The gravy comes from the rest of the world. Seems doable.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

I think Lightwave probably turns some profit at the moment especially since 2018 was released. The key is to put out a good release at least once a year that appeals to most users and keep that revenue flowing. If they can cover all the development and overhead costs with this and end up with some profit left over then I think Lightwave is doing ok. Looking back I think the years that hurt Lightwaves profitability were the long wait between LW 2015 and 2018.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

And Vizrt also have an office in stockholm, though the map is completely off the charts, google map pinpoint is in the center of Stockholm City next to a statue of an old king Adolf, and the image shown on the Vizrt is showing the surrounding area next to that.
    In reality Vizrt are located in Kista some mile away from Stockholm City, kista is kind of a science city... where many innovative companies have their place.

And for the record, Vizrt does have jobs announced in Kista, like coders, system developers and economic assistents.

https://www.vizrt.com/contact/vizrt-sweden

Real surrounding image of the Location...

I noticed a huge number of people viewing the forums at the moment. 6027 to be exact and only 27 of them logged in as members. Lots of eyes watching right now!
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

And everyone speculating!

Strange days...
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by kyuzo View Post
    I am more than a little concerned about this...

And hearing abut this news in the forum, posted by a user, strikes me as poor form. 'The Powers That Be' must have known that once the news slipped out, users would be wanting answers to reassure them. A week is a long time to make us wait for some sort of official announcement.
    Businesses release news to the public via press releases, and that is proper form. As the acquiring company, Vizrt had precedence to issue the press release first, and did so. We subsequently echoed the press release on the NewTek web page later the same day. All of that is official and proper form for communications of company news to the public, including customers. That forum users would subsequently post about and discuss it is unsurprising. That you came across the news being discussed in the forum before you encountered the official sources is just happenstance.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast