Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VIZRT acquires Newtek

Quote Originally Posted by Marty01 View Post
    Will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months. Dealing with a smaller company has always been easier in my opinion.
    Marty Davis
    I thought I should respond in this thread to give you my personal perspective. I have been at NewTek now 20 years! I started here making the first VT for Windows. Our mission back then was to make video accessible to more people. We believed that the future of video was going to be on computers and real time. We stuck with this vision because we believed it, when everyone else thought "unreliable windows PCs" would never be stable or useful. We have always tried crazy things, we put all of the tools a TV station needed onto a single PC so that one person could make a show. We added web streaming before there was such a thing as a CDN. We added the first accessible virtual sets, and the list goes on. (Indeed, our building integrated live production systems that could stream to the web was probably a big factor in the evolution of the multi-billion dollar user content delivery networks of today.

Over the past 5 years, you have seen us push IP to new places with NDI; we have continued to push the envelope of software-based, real-time systems and at the same time hopefully kept them fun and easy to use, also adding major innovations all along the way. If you go back just 4 years and think what the market looked like, our showing up at IBC to show all IP-based systems seemed like science-fiction.

In much the same way, VizRT have always built software based products. They have targeted those products at different markets from us, but have ultimately still seen the same future for TV. Us coming together is not about NewTek becoming Viz or Viz becoming NewTek. This is about building a company that sees the future of video as one based on computers, software and networks. We both believe in this vision, and between us have products that range from high-schools up to the highest level of broadcast - all driven by software. People worried that Viz will change NewTek (or we will change Viz) are both wrong. This is about building something bigger than that.

As I wrote above, I have been at NewTek 20 years. I feel like our products, including NDI, are my children. Those things are not going to change; I am not abandoning my kids. NDI will remain free, and we will continue to push the envelope on TriCaster, 3Play, etc., as much or even more than before. Come to our user event at NAB and I am sure that you will see that. We are going to be showing some truly amazing things. And we will announce NDI v4 as (which is still free of course)

Our drive and vision remains the same.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    I thought I should respond in this thread to give you my personal perspective. I have been at NewTek now 20 years! I started here making the first VT for Windows. Our mission back then was to make video accessible to more people. We believed that the future of video was going to be on computers and real time. We stuck with this vision because we believed it, when everyone else thought "unreliable windows PCs" would never be stable or useful. We have always tried crazy things, we put all of the tools a TV station needed onto a single PC so that one person could make a show. We added web streaming before there was such a thing as a CDN. We added the first accessible virtual sets, and the list goes on. (Indeed, our building integrated live production systems that could stream to the web was probably a big factor in the evolution of the multi-billion dollar user content delivery networks of today.

Over the past 5 years, you have seen us push IP to new places with NDI; we have continued to push the envelope of software-based, real-time systems and at the same time hopefully kept them fun and easy to use, also adding major innovations all along the way. If you go back just 4 years and think what the market looked like, our showing up at IBC to show all IP-based systems seemed like science-fiction.

In much the same way, VizRT have always built software based products. They have targeted those products at different markets from us, but have ultimately still seen the same future for TV. Us coming together is not about NewTek becoming Viz or Viz becoming NewTek. This is about building a company that sees the future of video as one based on computers, software and networks. We both believe in this vision, and between us have products that range from high-schools up to the highest level of broadcast - all driven by software. People worried that Viz will change NewTek (or we will change Viz) are both wrong. This is about building something bigger than that.

As I wrote above, I have been at NewTek 20 years. I feel like our products, including NDI, are my children. Those things are not going to change; I am not abandoning my kids. NDI will remain free, and we will continue to push the envelope on TriCaster, 3Play, etc., as much or even more than before. Come to our user event at NAB and I am sure that you will see that. We are going to be showing some truly amazing things. And we will announce NDI v4 as (which is still free of course)

Our drive and vision remains the same.

Andrew

Dr. Cross,

Thanks for this posting. You and Tim Jenison have been instrumental in all of the products Newtek has offered over the last several years. There have been a lot of other great folks involved also. Newtek has truly been a very innovative company. I do have to say that the products have become more expensive, but they also have much more capability now also. I never owned a Video Toaster, but always thought they were worth the money just for the character generator. Luckily, I do now own a Tricaster 460. I can remember one year at NAB when the first HD model was basically still a prototype. Technology has really changed since then and I'm sure it will continue to change. I don't do as much production as I use to, since I have changed jobs, but I do hope Newtek will be around for a long time to come. I wish I could be at NAB and hear the future. Thanks for all of your hard work and engineering. I wish the best for Newtek and all of it's employees.

Thanks,
    Marty Davis
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5
    Cameras: Sony NX5U
    Cabling: SDI

Thanks for this posting. You and Tim Jenison have been instrumental in all of the products Newtek has offered over the last several years. There have been a lot of other great folks involved also. Newtek has truly been a very innovative company. I do have to say that the products have become more expensive, but they also have much more capability now also. I never owned a Video Toaster, but always thought they were worth the money just for the character generator. Luckily, I do now own a Tricaster 460. I can remember one year at NAB when the first HD model was basically still a prototype. Technology has really changed since then and I'm sure it will continue to change. I don't do as much production as I use to, since I have changed jobs, but I do hope Newtek will be around for a long time to come. I wish I could be at NAB and hear the future. Thanks for all of your hard work and engineering. I wish the best for Newtek and all of it's employees.
    First of all, I want to say that the whole NewTek team are amazing, while I responded here and I speak for NewTek in some way ... everything we do is the drive and passion of our employees. That is not just in the products, but making the web site, helping spread the message out in the world, and our truly amazing channel partners, and the list goes on. We are our people and they are who make us great. If you walk around NewTek you will find that most people have been there for years and years, we are truly a family.

Our products have got more expensive in some ways, but a big part of this is just that we cover a wide range from the MINI, right up to the VMC1. I can tell you that our plans this year are no less ambitious than they ever have been, maybe more so than ever before.

Finally, since you have a 460 ... I want you to know that we are still working on feature improvements and new capabilities that you will work our system. While we could easily just develop for our latest models, we will not abandon the people who have been with us over the years. Almost every major thing we will show at NAB will work on your system.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    First of all, I want to say that the whole NewTek team are amazing, while I responded here and I speak for NewTek in some way ... everything we do is the drive and passion of our employees. That is not just in the products, but making the web site, helping spread the message out in the world, and our truly amazing channel partners, and the list goes on. We are our people and they are who make us great. If you walk around NewTek you will find that most people have been there for years and years, we are truly a family.

Our products have got more expensive in some ways, but a big part of this is just that we cover a wide range from the MINI, right up to the VMC1. I can tell you that our plans this year are no less ambitious than they ever have been, maybe more so than ever before.

Finally, since you have a 460 ... I want you to know that we are still working on feature improvements and new capabilities that you will work our system. While we could easily just develop for our latest models, we will not abandon the people who have been with us over the years. Almost every major thing we will show at NAB will work on your system.

Andrew
    You are so right about the Newtek employees being like family. That is one of the great assets of Newtek and I hope that attribute is never lost. They definitely have a passion that I have seen when I have been to NAB. It's great to hear that there will still be improvements for some of the older products. It almost does more than I can comprehend now.

Thanks again,
    Marty Davis
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5
    Cameras: Sony NX5U
    Cabling: SDI

Quote Originally Posted by webslave View Post
    there will always be frustrated employees. they're everywhere.
    if you read further, an employee shoots in a reply, saying somewhat the opposite.
    there will always be sour grapes. we could speculate, but there won't be any truth.

one would get smarter watching a Cardashians episode, compared.
    sorry, just learning from my own lessons.

Last edited by erikals; 04-01-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

there will always be frustrated employees. i've seen it at every darn company i've been at.
    if you read further, an employee in shoots in a reply, saying this is nothing he would worry too much about.
    there will always be sour grapes. if one wants to speculate about that post, go ahead, but you won't find any truth.
    one would get smarter watching a Cardashian's episode, compared (!)
    I am honestly not qualified to give any kind of opinion on the content of this, and it occurred quite some time ago. With that said, as someone who runs a company the reality is that it is all to easy to sit and leave things how they are ... what is really hard is coming in and doing things that make a change to the company. Those are the hard changes, but also the ones that are needed to make a company great. When we decided to give NDI away, within the company that was controversial and yet we did it anyway ... ultimately some of those calls work and some do not and some will make people happy and some will not.

When I read this post, what I see is a company that are trying to change and re-invent themselves ... (e.g. profitability is important for instance because it is what you use to fuel growth and invest in R&D which is good for everyone.) I admire the companies who are prepared to make those changes.

Andrew

It almost does more than I can comprehend now.
    Something we try to do really hard is keep it easy as we add new things. Steve Bowie, who runs our UI team, is amazing at this and having 15+ years of features in a product is a statement to his dedication in this goal.

This is what I found. I hope this is not the end of NewTek. Like so many companies being taken over by others, And then all of a sudden they are gone forever.

https://www.newtek.com/press-release...quires-newtek/

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jkerry211 View Post
    This is what I found.
    I like this one: https://www.redsharknews.com/busines...es-for-decades
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I've been privileged to be part of the extended NewTek family for nearly 20 years. Andrew I've seen your team and you transform NewTek and the industry. I can't wait to see what happens next! See you guys at NAB.
    Faraz Ahmed - Amitrace
    www.Amitrace.com

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Will anyone be letting us know what is happening to Lightwave?

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Kiwi View Post
    Will anyone be letting us know what is happening to Lightwave?
    I don't think you can expect much on that front right now, sorry. As has been commented by someone else, LW would not have been a big factor in this deal ... but fwiw, my personal impression is that this is all too new for any adjustments in plans or direction as respects any of the NewTek or Viz products to have been given much in-depth consideration yet.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Will there be any videos from NAB for those who can not make the trip to Vegas for the show. I am sure many would like to see what is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by jkerry211 View Post
    Will there be any videos from NAB for those who can not make the trip to Vegas for the show. I am sure many would like to see what is coming.
    I hope so. But it should be on the web as well and I am sure that Steve will jump in and answer any questions here ...

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I don't think you can expect much on that front right now, sorry. As has been commented by someone else, LW would not have been a big factor in this deal ... but fwiw, my personal impression is that this is all too new for any adjustments in plans or direction as respects any of the NewTek or Viz products to have been given much in-depth consideration yet.
    Hey Steve - I have to respond in a manner that respects the fact that you are not in a position to "tell all," and even what you are saying here is probably more out of courtesy than out of obligation.

That said, we went through the whole "we're sorry, we know we dropped the ball regards communication" as we transitioned past the comms blackout from LW-2015 into LW-2018 ...

That acknowledgement and apology we had to take at face value (at the time) ... I remember thinking "Ok, maybe there were a ton of things in the closet needing to be cleared out - so I can live with giving a benefit of the doubt response and continue inve$ting in LW and related plugins."

But, as the saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you ... fool me twice, shame on me." It is not unreasonable and it is not ranting and it is not stirring the pot to point out that now, days into a Newtek purchase by another commercial entity: hey look, an absolute lack of any professional conduct with respect to letting us lowly plebes know anything directly concerning what the net impact of this is going to have on the future of LW.

Like I said, I'm not shooting at you personally. But ... we're back to "no news," and that sucked last time and it sucks now ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast