Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: VIZRT acquires Newtek

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    And there we have the inevitable glass half-empty view ... which could certainly happen, because really, who can say for sure.
    Don't take it personally. It's not a case of calling anyone a liar, or saying that anyone is deliberately holding back some sort of devious plan. I don't believe that anyone from the NewTek family wants things to go the way I described. It does bear mentioning however that while 'glass half-empty' is indeed one way of putting it, it's also a very common way that these sorts of deals go. In fact, I think you're going to find more examples as I described than the way you're hoping for. It doesn't mean NewTek can't be the exception, in fact I'm very much hoping it will be - but based upon the evidence we have seen from other companies the odds aren't on NewTek's side.

Quote Originally Posted by ACross
    So, in any acquisition lots of people like me come along and say lots of nice things.
    Pretty much. It doesn't make any of those who have done it before you liars. I'd be surprised if any of them knew how things would eventually turn out at the time they gave those interviews. They are not bad people. You are not bad people. It's expected of you at this time that you'll do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ACross
    If you review most of the interviews that I've given publicly I think you will find really a very honest explanation of this deal, why it makes sense and why we are excited about it. If you compare those to what most companies say I hope it is clear that are truly trying to be forthright and honest about why we did this. Both NewTek and Vizrt are strong companies that are growing, we are not cashing out (I am excited to be staying - as are my entire team), we are looking to make the spirit that drives NewTek part of something bigger and stronger.
    Completely agree. For what it's worth I think your interview in TVTech was particularly good. There's no suggestion you're behind deceptive here. The only suggestion is that neither were any of the other people in your position in other deals, and that's a perception in the customer base that is expected.

Consider something near and dear to me, and presumably NewTek: ScreenConnect (Elsinore Technologies).

ConnectWise acquired them in Feb 2015 and the press release in many ways reads similarly to NewTek/VizRT - and it also talks about HQ not moving and expansion and keeping their corporate identity:
    https://www.connectwise.com/company/...ct-acquisition

In August they were telling people:
    "As ScreenConnect customers, you'll see the same reliable services, partner relationships and innovation cycles you've come to rely on, and the additional ConnectWise resources will help us make your ScreenConnect experience even better."

In October 2015 the pricing for the on-prem version that people had been using went way, way up for new customers with a much higher initial commitment - instead they were trying to push people to their new cloud.

In January 2016 the company itself was fully merged into a single company and suite.

In November 2016 the product was re-named and a new website was made.

I'm fairly sure they are no longer in Raleigh NC, and Ray Allen (whose baby it was) is gone.

Does it make you untruthful? Absolutely not. I have little doubt that you have the very best of intentions. All I'm saying here is that neither did these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by webslave View Post
    Don't take it personally.
    Nope. Just premature (and a little pessimistic).

--
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I'll chime in here, nobody has more to lose if something goes haywire at NewTek then me short of actual NT employees and investors. I have built a company that specializes in selling NewTek products, we've been doing it for 29 years now. I've seen several regimes at NewTek come and go and I'm cautiously optimistic here.

As both a user and a reseller the most promising points I've taken away are:
    • VizRT and NewTek have almost no product overlap, the products that do overlap actually have both NewTek and Viz branding on them and technology inside them already i.e. VizRT Graphics Server.
    • The two companies seem to have similar outlooks on the future of technology
    • Neither company appears to be saddled with massive debt (both are privately held so I could be wrong)
    • Product lines from both companies appear to be on ascending paths
    • There is little overlap in dealer channels

From the outside I don't see any reason for drastic changes in direction, dropping product lines, wholesale restructuring of sales forces etc. I can see Viz tech moving into higher end TriCasters (I hope to see full motion LiveSets!). And maybe rebranded high end machines (VMC1) in the VizRT lineup. With NDI and the rise of virtualization the boundaries of two companies products were bound to become blurred anyway. This way interoperability will be assured. I'd hate to be one of their competitors for sure.
    Last edited by jcupp; 04-04-2019 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, TS 100, TS 4000

Quote Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
    I'd hate to be one of their competitors for sure.
    We would hate for you to be one of our competitors, too, Jeff.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Just stay out of the tally light business and we'll be ok
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, TS 100, TS 4000

I'll keep that in mind!
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

what about backing light.. ?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234