Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Animation AVI reported as corrupted or has no image

Animation AVI reported as corrupted or has no image

I have rendered out a scene for 6 hours and the resulting avi file is either reported as corrupted or totally blank when trying to play it of import it into an editing program. The resolution is 1280 X 720 full frames uncompressed. I have the final output set to animation in the buffers. Each frame shows up as it renders in the render window as the file progresses. Windows explorer claims the file is 1.5 gig, but when played back there is nothing there. Any Ideas? Oh it is lightwave 2018
    Last edited by pnevai; 03-29-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Hard to say as it's most likely a codec issue and whatever your trying to view it with. Here's a small tool that can help diagnose:
    https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Also why it's best to use sequential frames when rendering; spot check after a few frames to make sure it's all correct. If you have a problem or a crash, you don't have to start over either.

If you have something like After Effects, take it into that & see if it's a color space issue (you might have rendered in linear color space for example).
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Hard to say as it's most likely a codec issue and whatever your trying to view it with. Here's a small tool that can help diagnose:
    https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Also why it's best to use sequential frames when rendering; spot check after a few frames to make sure it's all correct. If you have a problem or a crash, you don't have to start over either.

If you have something like After Effects, take it into that & see if it's a color space issue (you might have rendered in linear color space for example).
    After effects claims it is a unsupported format and media info comes back with no information other than the file size and a stream type as generic. As I mentioned I rendered it out at full frame uncompressed so it should not be a codec issue. I am doing it again using the Microsoft Video codec now. I really do not want to create a video with frame sequence as I have no way of compiling the sequence into video nor have any idea how to do this even if I do render out a sequence some how.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Yeah... never render to animation, always to frames.

As for how to compile the sequence... use Afx... import like you would any image/video, and check the "sequence" box in the import dialog.

(Btw, when it comes to codec things/maybe broken videos... my rule of thumb is try it with VLC, if that wont play it, forget it)
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

As recommended, I always render to frames, not an animation. The internal file formats of animations are sensitive to early aborts, corruption errors, and as you've found, losing the ENTIRE rendering.

To composite separate images (e.g. Final_Render.000, Final_Render.001, ... Final_Render.nnn), if I don't use Sony Vegas I use the open source utility, FFMPEG, available here:

https://ffmpeg.org/download.html

and I always put the FFMPEG.exe executable in the top-level C: folder for easy accessible.

FFMPEG has a VERY extensive command line interface, but the simplest command to composite an image sequence would be to first set your default folder to the location of the LW produced image sequence, and then in a Windows Command Prompt window, issue the command:

C:\FFMPEG -i "Final_Render%03d.png" MyAnimation.AVI

The -i indicates an input file / sequence, the %03d means a 3-digit, zero-filled integer, and the AVI indicates you want AVI output.

mTp
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 03-29-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Add set default to image sequence folder

Render to frames, not an animation file. Never render to an animation file. Never. Nyet.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    Render to frames, not an animation file. Never render to an animation file. Never. Nyet.
    Render to animation files Is a must, If you only have the discovery version Never is never an option.

I may actually upgrade before sunday ends, have some more extensive testing today and tommorow before I call it a day...and if I upgrade, I would never render to animation files
    Se my latest cloud anim, rendered to animation..never had to compile the stuff either..but you should always ask yourself...do you feel lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    ...use the open source utility, FFMPEG, available here:

The documentation offers over 20-year-old advice of loading a recently rendered image sequence as a background in LW ...and then rendering that quickly to a video file.

I would imagine a custom python plugin bundled with ffmpeg could make this a one-click operation within LW...with no background image sequence required.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    The documentation offers over 20-year-old advice of loading a recently rendered image sequence as a background in LW ...and then rendering that quickly to a video file.

I would imagine a custom python plugin bundled with ffmpeg could make this a one-click operation within LW...with no background image sequence required.
    Maybe something for Olivers OD Tools
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by pnevai View Post
    After effects claims it is a unsupported format and media info comes back with no information other than the file size and a stream type as generic. As I mentioned I rendered it out at full frame uncompressed so it should not be a codec issue. I am doing it again using the Microsoft Video codec now. I really do not want to create a video with frame sequence as I have no way of compiling the sequence into video nor have any idea how to do this even if I do render out a sequence some how.
    Ummm, if you said you have After Effetcts, you have a means of easily making frame sequences into whatever video format you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    As recommended, I always render to frames, not an animation. The internal file formats of animations are sensitive to early aborts, corruption errors, and as you've found, losing the ENTIRE rendering.

To composite separate images (e.g. Final_Render.000, Final_Render.001, ... Final_Render.nnn), if I don't use Sony Vegas I use the open source utility, FFMPEG, available here:

and I always put the FFMPEG.exe executable in the top-level C: folder for easy accessible.

FFMPEG has a VERY extensive command line interface, but the simplest command to composite an image sequence would be to first set your default folder to the location of the LW produced image sequence, and then in a Windows Command Prompt window, issue the command:

C:\FFMPEG -i "Final_Render%03d.png" MyAnimation.AVI

The -i indicates an input file / sequence, the %03d means a 3-digit, zero-filled integer, and the AVI indicates you want AVI output.

mTp
    Ok so I went in and changed the render co;or space to SRGB and using the Microsoft Video 1 codec, but I am also having it output Individual PNG frames. I really wanted uncompressed frames but it is looking like Lightwave cannot do that? I suppose premier can assemble a image sequence?

If you research the png format, you'll find that it is mathematically lossless & that's probably what your really looking for. The 32bit version can have a transparency layer, a bit different than an alpha but works the same. AE and Premiere both can import sequences & treat them as a single clip, not a thousand individual files.

Quite easy to download a free Davinci resolve edition or fusion, both can compile the pngs and export out, with fusion it requires you to know nodes, Davinci Resolve is easier, just import the png files to the media pool in Davinci Resolve, then drag it to the timeline, in the bottom you have various stage sections such as Media/Edit/Color/Fairlight/Deliver click on deliver and you will have presets for youtube, vimeo or manually set the codec you desire.

Click on add to render cue and you will get a window to choose location on your computer, then you have the start render button to the right at the bottom..click on that and it will start to render out the compilation to your choosen format.

Quote Originally Posted by pnevai View Post
    I have rendered out a scene for 6 hours and the resulting avi file is either reported as corrupted or totally blank when trying to play it of import it into an editing program. The resolution is 1280 X 720 full frames uncompressed. I have the final output set to animation in the buffers. Each frame shows up as it renders in the render window as the file progresses. Windows explorer claims the file is 1.5 gig, but when played back there is nothing there. Any Ideas? Oh it is lightwave 2018
    If you render to "uncompressed" there is no "codec".
    So your problem can never be a "codec issue".
    It is more likely that it is a problem of Lightwave.

Try to open your corrupted file with (freeware) VirtualDub.
    http://www.virtualdub.org/

If the problem is a "corrupted index", VirtualDub should be able to reconstruct it, so you´ll be able to save it to another AVI file or a BMP/PNG/JPG/TGA sequence. Lightwave does this quite often.

If animation can be rendered very fast (as in "not a big risk"), I still prefer AVI for previews because it´s supported by many Windows applications and they are much faster to handle than a directory/map with a lot of numbered (EXR, PNG, etc) files.

Microsoft should update the AVI specifications to a more modern version.
    Especially since Quicktime is not supported anymore on Windows platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Render to animation files Is a must, If you only have the discovery version Never is never an option.

I may actually upgrade before sunday ends, have some more extensive testing today and tommorow before I call it a day...and if I upgrade, I would never render to animation files
    Se my latest cloud anim, rendered to animation..never had to compile the stuff either..but you should always ask yourself...do you feel lucky.
    Never!
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast