Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSLR vs. Camcorder

DSLR vs. Camcorder

So my brother wants to make some videos/Films and he's asking me what to get.

I really don't know, been a minute since I've even messed around with stuff like that.
    So I value your opinions here and want to ask yall what would be best?

He says he wants to spend between $1500 to $2000 but I'm sure he's willing to spend
    a little more if its worth it.

I know he wants something good for Night Shots and Slow Motion.

Any help is appreciated.

I know this probly isn't the best section to put this, but I don't go to them other places.

Is that budget to include lenses, tripod, micrphone, etc or just a camera body ? Is that budget to include lenses, tripod, micrphone, etc or just a camera body ? Also what resolution (is 4K important or will he settle for HD) ?
    Last edited by TheLexx; 03-26-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Newbie Member
    Sony A7s, full frame, very good performance in low light.

most people now go for the BlackMagic Cinema 4K camera,
    it comes with DaVinci Resolve, full version.

he'll also need lights/tripods/reflectors

that should end up around that price range.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by gcbotas View Post
    Sony A7s, full frame, very good performance in low light.
    Seconded. mii just came out not long ago
    Last edited by squarewulf; 03-26-2019 at 02:45 PM.

The main caution when going with DSLR is that it should have extensible connections...such as mic/line inputs...augmented power (internal batteries don't last long on video)...etc. Some DSLRs do not work well with focus pulls. DSLR's, designed for photography, also need more stabilization hardware for steady moving shots.

If any of these are concerns, stick to a regular video camera.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Is that budget to include lenses, tripod, micrphone, etc or just a camera body ? Is that budget to include lenses, tripod, micrphone, etc or just a camera body ? Also what resolution (is 4K important or will he settle for HD) ?
    That's the budget is just for the camera, also 4K isn't a necessity.

for film, everyone uses 4k these days, not 1k, unless it is for a Youtube video, but even then...
    so not sure why he wouldn't use 4k...

by the way, as for BMC vs Sony, cons about the Sony >

doesn't shoot raw,
    doesn't come with DaVinci Resolve,
    doesn't have xlr
    cost 2000 vs 1300

there are certainly cons with the BMC as well though,

you might wanna check out these vidz >
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...blackmagic+4k+

Nothing wrong with the suggestions made by others, though spare a thought for how much post-production your brother might want to do. I assume he doesn't want to grapple with grading raw footage for too long, or indeed any excessive colour correction (eg some reviews give Sony a reputation for a slight greenish tinge but maybe that's just pixel peeping in the real world).

Canon is a more conservative company, less innovative, but generally has a reputation for being robust, reliable and great colour out of the box. So maybe a lower priced Canon full-frame HD DSLR in range roughly $1000 to $1500, and maybe slow motion handled during editing with software plugin like Twixtor.

I don't know if brother has an existing set of preferred lenses, as he might want a camera compatible with that mount, unless he goes down the road of adapters etc (not necessarily a bad thing, but a consideration nonetheless). Nikon Z6 camera is getting good reviews.

Just thoughts to consider, nothing specific to advocate. Good luck.
    Last edited by TheLexx; 03-26-2019 at 06:19 PM.

In that budget range, it might be worth looking at the Sony A6300
    https://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/slrs/sony_a6300

not just for the camera itself, but the stabilizers you can use with it without drawing a lot of attention and filming on-the-go. What he saves on the camera, he can use for a Metabones adapter and widen the selection of available lenses.

I'm a fan of Brandon Li's work with it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u8GuGUSRIw

Yes, good luck!! No shortage of options.

Super budget friendly but decent quality rig that I used for awhile:

Nikon d5200 ($500)
    Redrock Micro Follow Focus ($600)

I used some real cheap rail system i found on amazon for under $100, just search "shoulder mount rail system". I recommend buying a better one though if you can, the cheap stuff just isn't the same.
    Then i found a used older 50mm prime lens for like $30 to accompany the stock lens.

All that keeps you well under your budget with room to piece out and upgrade stuff in the future.

Redrock Micro Follow Focus ($600)
    also see $500,
    Tilta Nucleus-Nano Review | Wireless Follow Focus
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeGQh3F1RLA

When I saw low light condition requirements, I can tell you that Canon 6D MK1 is the best (low noise) reasonable price camera for low light conditions. It's widely tested and accepted fact. One of Nikon's DSLR is even better but it costs multiple times more than 6D. This guy here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTziTvQp8Kc has a nice presentation why is that so.

Another point for consideration if Canons are looked at is Magic Lantern, a very sophisticated tool to support video creation. Maybe other brands have similar tools by now, but Magic Lantern rocks.
    Greetings, Shloime
    ----------------------------
    Win10 64, Ryzen 5 1600, GTX 980 ti, 32 GB, LW 2018

Quote Originally Posted by VonBon View Post
    I know he wants something good for Night Shots and Slow Motion.
    I'd like to know what he means by "night shots". Does he expect to have perfect noiseless image with no artificial lights or what's the plan?

I own the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K, and I'm thoroughly happy with the image it can produce. I won't go through all the features it has here, they're easily available through their website.

It can be used in low lights, but you still need light to get an image. Would be interesting to see a reference of what he means by night shots.

The big selling points for the BMPCC4K is
    + Size. And weight!
    + Big, bright touch screen.
    + good selection of lenses through MFT mount; both native MFT and any kind of lens through adapters.
    (I personally have Canon EF, Canon FD (vintage stuff) and broadcast B4 mounted lenses)
    + Great OS which is very intuitive to operate.
    + RAW and ProRes.
    (their own BRAW format is nothing but phenomenal. Lower bitrate, smaller files, incredible quality for its compression, is very light on the CPU)
    + Shoots 4K up to 60 fps, 1080 up to 120 fps.
    + Dedicated timelapse function.
    + A good range of options for storage; USB-C, SDXC, CFAST2.
    + Actually decent built in stereo mics.
    + XRL and 3.5mm jack line inputs.
    + A huge range of accessories from 3rd parties, in many price ranges.
    + A big, and ever growing community of users.
    + Davinci Resolve Studio comes with the camera ($299 value right there). That's a full blown NLE, color grading, Fusion and sound mixing tool included. Worth it!!

The downsides... aren't that many, at least from my experience.
    - Canon LP-E6 batteries. 40-50 minutes per battery life at most.
    - Screen can't articulate.
    - No autofocus (yet) with adapters. Autofocus with native MFT lensees work. (This is up to the adapter manufacturers to figure out)
    - No built in image stabilization. Works with lenses that have it. Competitive cameras have stabilized sensor - but they also cost ~$1000 more.
    - The wide body can be a challenge to fit on some gimbals. As more users deal with it, new solutions will be easier available too.

If he plans to rig out the camera, it's possible to use other batteries, like a v-lock battery, connect a d-tap cable to the power input on the side panel of the camera. That'll give him hours and hours of capacity on one battery.

Regarding what someone said about grading your own footage. Let's just say it's an option.
    When you shoot raw you will get what the sensor gives you, and you will need to either grade it or at the very least, use a LUT to convert from log to rec709. That's a quick thing to do and you can set it and forget it.

If you shoot ProRes you can decide whether to burn in the look of a LUT that either comes with the camera by default, or with a custom LUT you download or make your own in Davinci. Loads of possibilities - and no need to grade unless you want to.
    Last edited by OlaHaldor; 03-27-2019 at 04:54 AM.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast