Thread: Transition to Picture in Picture

Transition to Picture in Picture

Hi,

Is it possible to have transitions like in the attached file without having to select different comps in a M/E?
    In the attached video I just switch between three comps on an M/E, but I would like to go from in1 or in2 to the PiP M/E with the zoom effect.

Is this possible?

PiPtest.m4v

Thanks!

You mean something like this? (don't mind the NewTek logo in the video)
    https://kanelp7.wixsite.com/kanesworld/helix-dve

I did it by building transition effects using After Effects, COMPS weren't available at the time. COMPS could do this and would be way easier. Doing it via transitions was easy to mess up.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    You mean something like this? (don't mind the NewTek logo in the video)
    https://kanelp7.wixsite.com/kanesworld/helix-dve

I did it by building transition effects using After Effects, COMPS weren't available at the time. COMPS could do this and would be way easier. Doing it via transitions was easy to mess up.
    Yes, kind of like that, only in my example I zoom in the other source that goes off screen as well. It was easy to do with comps.
    However dealing with both the regular in1, in2 and m/e sources and the different comps complicates things for the operator. So what i'd like to achieve is to be able to go from in1 to the m/e transitioning via the correct comps.
    Maybe it could be done with macros? I'm new with Tricasters, but can macros change behavior based on what is in program and preview?

Thanks!

Macros would definitely be a good direction to proceed, as you don't want to be messing around with the mouse trying to open various windows and clicking here and there in a LIVE production!

Myself and others would be happy to provide guidance in that area. If you have a CS, macros can be programmed to most keys. Or create macro shortcuts on the keyboard. Or my favorite, get an X-Keys USB controller on which you can create a custom interface to run the macros.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by AndersM View Post
    Yes, kind of like that, only in my example I zoom in the other source that goes off screen as well. It was easy to do with comps.
    However dealing with both the regular in1, in2 and m/e sources and the different comps complicates things for the operator. So what i'd like to achieve is to be able to go from in1 to the m/e transitioning via the correct comps.
    Maybe it could be done with macros? I'm new with Tricasters, but can macros change behavior based on what is in program and preview?

Thanks!
    What model TriCaster are you running? I would think that you should be able to do what you are asking with a COMP in a single M/E.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

What model TriCaster are you running? I would think that you should be able to do what you are asking with a COMP in a single M/E.
    I have a TC1 with a TC1SP control surface.
    The video example I attached in the first video was done with a single M/E and three comps.
    But what I want is to be able to not worry about looking for the different COMP presets while producing. I want to be able to initiate the animated transition by hitting a shortcut key or key on the control surface.

Lets say we have five cameras/inputs and this picture-in-picture based on input one and two. I want to be able to cut like normal between the five cameras, and when I want the PiP I want to just cue up the M/E and hit a shortcut key to have the correct comp-to-comp animation initiate based on which source is on air.
    So if I have camera 1 on air, I want it to animate from the COMP where Camera 1 is full screen to the PiP without having to load in that COMP first. Like JPulera says, I don't want to mess with mouse clicks while producing.

Anders

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Macros would definitely be a good direction to proceed, as you don't want to be messing around with the mouse trying to open various windows and clicking here and there in a LIVE production!

Myself and others would be happy to provide guidance in that area. If you have a CS, macros can be programmed to most keys. Or create macro shortcuts on the keyboard. Or my favorite, get an X-Keys USB controller on which you can create a custom interface to run the macros.

Thanks

Jeff
    Thanks, I have a TC1SP control surface, so I might find a button on that. Is it possible to have some sort of if statements in macros? For example If input 1 is in program, load this comp before transitioning to this comp?

Thanks!

Anders

Quote Originally Posted by AndersM View Post
    Thanks, I have a TC1SP control surface, so I might find a button on that. Is it possible to have some sort of if statements in macros? For example If input 1 is in program, load this comp before transitioning to this comp?

Thanks!

Anders
    You might be able to do this with the automation feature. Have it when Input 1 goes to Program that a macro that calls the correct COMP is issued. I've not tried this, but I think it could be make to work.

Otherwise, what you are asking for is logic which the macro system does not do, it only runs commands. Using the TriCaster API it would be possible to do this, but someone would need to write the program.

Lastly, you can recall a COMP from the control surface. Delegate the M/E you want to control the COMP on, then press and hold the COMP button and press the matching number on the KEY row of the COMP you want to recall.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

You might be able to do this with the automation feature. Have it when Input 1 goes to Program that a macro that calls the correct COMP is issued. I've not tried this, but I think it could be make to work.
    That's the best suggestion I've heard so far, and I agree it would work.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I just tried using the automation method and it works like I was expecting.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I just tried using the automation method and it works like I was expecting.
    Thanks for the tips, guys!
    I have been able to get the basic functionality down, but I can't get my head around how I would do it to make it foolproof.
    I set it so that when in1 goes to program, the COMP with in1 in full screen is loaded in the M/E. Then I set up a hotkey to load the M/E to program and transition to the PiP COMP.
    With this method, you lose the ability to preview the PiP before putting it on air. So in an ideal world I would be able to have the correct PiP COMP loaded in preview and then using a hotkey to swap to the full screen COMP similar to the source in program, put the M/E on air and transition to the PiP COMP.

There is also the issue with the out transition from PiP to full screen and how I can handle going full screen to either in1 or in2.

Anders