Thread: Another LW2019 render.

Another LW2019 render.

Been mucking about with the 2019 render and I really like the results I'm getting. I'm not using Adaptive Sampling, just adding a few extra min samples - in this case 6 - and letting the Nvidia noise reducer do its thing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BarristerLaneA_3-25-2019.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	144545

Name:	BarristerLaneB_3-25-2019.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	144546

Name:	BarristerLaneC_3-25-2019.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	144547
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Looks good Tim, very nice
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Yes that looks really nice. Can share your render settings? Because in my case the denoiser tends to eliminate fine details unless I really use high AA settings.
    LightWave 3D 2019 (Win64)

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Beautiful work Tim. You are entitled to play your cards close to the chest, but your thoughts regarding what you think makes these images work (lighting / settings / etc) would be highly valued by many ...

Thanks guys. To begin with I rendered them at a much higher resolution than shown here - 4608 x 3072 for A and C and 3072 x 2048 for B - and then I scaled them down in PS. Rendering at a higher than needed resolution really helps with the AA and the GPU noise filter. The more pixels you can throw at the noise filter the better job it does without blurring things up. (The fabric on the chairs however did not hold up at all. ) Early testing I did with LW2018 showed that there was very little render time differences between light samples of 8,16 and 32, so all my lights are set at 32 samples. The "Sun" is a Distant light and all others are Area lights. The two window lights are "Portal" as well. Camera samples are set at Min Samples 6 and Adaptive Sampling not activated. Other settings are shown in the screen shot. I wish I could say render time was 30mins a piece but they came in at around 3.5hrs each with a 6core i7-8086K @ 4GHz. Not exactly speedy, but I render off hours and don't really concern myself with it. I also rendered the carpet on a second pass of 1.5 million carpet fibers instanced to it. Overall I think the GPU noise filter is a super nice addition to 2019 and outperforms the Intel Open Image Denoise that is now available with a plugin from DP. I am keeping my eyes on Kray, but for now I'm really happy with the native solution.

Name:	Barrister.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	777.5 KB 
ID:	144593
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Thank you Tim for the comprehensive answer. That was really helpful.
    May I ask one more question? As a rule of thumb what do you recommend for the number of brute force rays especially when doing interior renderings?

Quote Originally Posted by SaT View Post
    Thank you Tim for the comprehensive answer. That was really helpful.
    May I ask one more question? As a rule of thumb what do you recommend for the number of brute force rays especially when doing interior renderings?
    Sorry I missed that Sat! Yes for GI there are just two settings I use - Intensity 100% and Rays 32. Before the advent of the Optix Denoiser I would also use Interpolated GI with 256 Primary Rays and 128 Secondary Rays with Min-Max Pixel Spacing of 1 and 32 and default Angular Tolerance and Interpolation Softness. Interpolated can really do a nice job of smoothing out flat surfaces such as ceilings and walls, but will introduce some splotchies and slow the render down considerably in my experience. The Denoiser has effectively eliminated Interpolated GI from my workflow. The Despike and Optix Denoiser have really made this a great upgrade but the Despike default tolerance setting is too high IMO - I use 0.1.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Great, thank you!

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Great write-up Tim, informative & helpful