Thread: Computer input not connecting after firmware update

Computer input not connecting after firmware update

Hello all,

We have a Tricaster Mini HDMI. We have always connected our iMac to the mini using HDMI, and put that input as our "camera 4." It has always worked fine. We just run ProPresenter/Videos into it then use the HDMI out from the mini to input live video to show on our screen. Like I said, it has all worked perfect...until we updated our firmware last week. Everything connects except our iMac input. We have blue screen. We've changed the cables and tried to use different resolutions, but nothing seems to fix the problem. What are we doing wrong? We have firmware 2-6-181221C.
    Last edited by ChuckHarris3; 03-24-2019 at 07:27 AM.

What resolutions is the iMac set to output? If you connect the iMac to any other input on the Mini does it work?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I thought of trying another input after I posted in the forum. I switched our camera 2 and the computer input...both work great. Does that mean something is wrong with that particular input?

Possibly. Does everything work in a new session? Is the HDMI input set to standard mode or 'Computer' mode? Does it make a difference if you change it? If you connect the output of the TriCaster into this input, does an image show up?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hey guys, I am setting up a system at my church, using a Tricaster Mini HD-4 HDMI. I have three cameras connected and working great, and am trying to input the computer from our FOH as input 4. I have the cabling run, and when I connect it to one of my monitors, it looks great. When I connect it to input 4, it is just black. After reading a couple threads here, I tried hooking the tricaster output to input 4 and it works fine, when I disconnect it, it goes to blue. When I reconnect the computer feed, it goes back to black. I tried the computer on other inputs and get the same results. I tried adjusting the monitor settings on the mac, and it had a few 1080 settings, but none made a difference. Also, I tried the "Computer Display Correction" check box in the input configuration and it makes no difference. The computer output is coming from an HDMI splitter at FOH that is feeding two projectors and a monitor. I have tried different outputs on the splitter, and as before, I get a good image when connected directly to a monitor, but only black when connected to the Tricaster. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by jbgriffith3 View Post
    Hey guys, I am setting up a system at my church, using a Tricaster Mini HD-4 HDMI. I have three cameras connected and working great, and am trying to input the computer from our FOH as input 4. I have the cabling run, and when I connect it to one of my monitors, it looks great. When I connect it to input 4, it is just black. After reading a couple threads here, I tried hooking the tricaster output to input 4 and it works fine, when I disconnect it, it goes to blue. When I reconnect the computer feed, it goes back to black. I tried the computer on other inputs and get the same results. I tried adjusting the monitor settings on the mac, and it had a few 1080 settings, but none made a difference. Also, I tried the "Computer Display Correction" check box in the input configuration and it makes no difference. The computer output is coming from an HDMI splitter at FOH that is feeding two projectors and a monitor. I have tried different outputs on the splitter, and as before, I get a good image when connected directly to a monitor, but only black when connected to the Tricaster. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
    I would expect that 720p or 1080i formats should work without issue. For 1080p mode, the refresh rate has to be 29Hz to work with the Mini. Another possibility is if the iMac is expecting to see HDCP, if that is the case, then you will probably get black.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks for the quick response! I tried 720P also to make sure, just forgot to put that in my post. So on HDCP, is there a solution if this is the issue? I remember having issues with this many years ago when I first started dealing with HDMI.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I would expect that 720p or 1080i formats should work without issue. For 1080p mode, the refresh rate has to be 29Hz to work with the Mini. Another possibility is if the iMac is expecting to see HDCP, if that is the case, then you will probably get black.
    Hey Kane, Good news! I went out to my splitter at front of house and I told it force the output to 1080i instead of using EDID and now all devices are displaying correctly. I had an issue early on with the Tricaster output not working to an external monitor and I switched the project to 1080i to resolve that issue. Does this version of Tricaster require all inputs to be the same? Just wondering if that was my problem...

Thanks again.

All TriCasters can mix 1080i/p and 720p, just don't mix 24p and 30p/60p
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    All TriCasters can mix 1080i/p and 720p, just don't mix 24p and 30p/60p
    Hmmm, I was outputting from the Mac 1080, it did not give me a frame rate, I just assumed it was 1080 30p or 60p. Is there a way to know on a Mac Pro?
    Not that it matters just yet, I have it all working in 60i by setting the splitter to force that setting...

Thanks for the comment...