Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how to achieve fast workflow in LW 2019+ : what features would you want ?

TrueArt Support
    Make color picker in Surface Editor non-modal. So user will be able to pick color, not yet accept it for real, and VPR will be updated.. and color picker won't be blocking entire LW.

TrueArt Support
    how to achieve fast workflow in LW 2019+ : what features would you want ?
    Everything should be implemented on commands...
    e.g. we have interactive tool "Box",
    it should internally call "Box x0,y0,z0,x1,y1,z1 [other params]",
    not do it immediately and hidden..

Then these commands should be put in the history.
    User would press "Record", do something, "Stop", and then e.g. save on disk, or "Play".
    Load previously saved history, and "Play" to repeat actions.

Edit these commands on the list, replace them by something else, export to Lscript/Python if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Make color picker in Surface Editor non-modal. So user will be able to pick color, not yet accept it for real, and VPR will be updated.. and color picker won't be blocking entire LW.
    Agreed! I use the little widgets swatches a lot because I like the interactivity of them. Not sure why that can't make that area a little bigger and put in a color wheel or something.
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 03-20-2019 at 09:05 PM.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Haven't upgraded to 2019 (yet) so can't confirm this doesn't exist, but I would REALLY like the ability to rotate the pivot for layers.

Everything should be implemented on commands...
    e.g. we have interactive tool "Box",
    it should internally call "Box x0,y0,z0,x1,y1,z1 [other params]",
    not do it immediately and hidden..

Then these commands should be put in the history.
    User would press "Record", do something, "Stop", and then e.g. save on disk, or "Play".
    Load previously saved history, and "Play" to repeat actions.

Edit these commands on the list, replace them by something else, export to Lscript/Python if needed.
    Some kind of macro recording and applying to a button. You can kind of do that in Layout, but there is nothing like that in Modeler.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

TrueArt Support
    Infinite refiniation of renders. Like in Fprime.

scene live link to unity.

Quote Originally Posted by stoecklem View Post
    This would be great. Xsi had it right for sure. I don’t know why more nodal software doesn’t just copy the render tree/ice
    Other modern 3D software have a much more advanced node editor than LW that allows to expose / propagate parameters into the (layer based) Uber Material and much more.

What I would need for a faster workflow in LW? Complete UI redesign, context-sensitive and dockable property panels, get rid of the countless and ineffective drop down menus, consolidate duplicate tools, implement (optional) industry standard navigation. Non-destructive basic modeling in Layout.

TrueArt Support
    Faster workflow: have search box in the main UI always visible and at hand, where you can start typing name of plugin, tool or command, there is drop-down list of available entries showed, which is getting shorter and shorter, the more letters are entered. User can click on one of them. And UI goes to tab were is tool, highlight it, and then run.
    I am doing it in the all my Android apps and Windows .NET apps..

Currently user has to click on Edit, then Edit Menu Layout, then start entering name, then learns were it is placed.. close Layout Editor.. click on tab.. click on tool..
    Last edited by Sensei; 03-21-2019 at 12:59 AM.

What exactly is the issue with the dropdowns? Prior to 2019 I would have agreed, but the dropdowns got infinitely better in 2019 thanks to live text filtering, and IMO this is no longer a big issue at all. I can assign things with dropdowns in layout as fast as I can in any other program (Assuming I don’t run into some horror-show legacy dropdown without text filtering, which do still exist in some of the more cobweb-covered corners of the program).

Faster workflow: have search box in the main UI always visible and at hand, where you can start typing name of plugin, tool or command, there is drop-down list of available entries showed, which is getting shorter and shorter, the more letters are entered. User can click on one of them. And UI goes to tab were is tool, highlight it, and then run.
    I am doing it in the all my Android apps and Windows .NET apps..

Currently user has to click on Edit, then Edit Menu Layout, then start entering name, then learns were it is placed.. close Layout Editor.. click on tab.. click on tool..
    Isn’t this exactly how the new ctrl-spacebar menu works?

Edit multiple modifiers/materials for multiple items at once. Currently even with multiple items selected you can only edit one of them (good luck guessing which one you are editing) and need to copy/paste-into to apply them. Layout should just assume that if I have multiple modifiers/materials of the same type on multiple items/materials selected in the properties/motion/surface window that this is what I am trying to do and let me skip that needless step.
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 03-21-2019 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    What exactly is the issue with the dropdowns? Prior to 2019 I would have agreed, but the dropdowns got infinitely better in 2019 thanks to live text filtering, and IMO this is no longer a big issue at all. I can assign things with dropdowns in layout as fast as I can in any other program (Assuming I don’t run into some horror-show legacy dropdown without text filtering, which do still exist in some of the more cobweb-covered corners of the program).
    The new 2019 list filtering is a big improvement I agree. I got the Quick Panel from db&w which is nice to use as well as OD Workspace and OD Pie Menu, I highly recommend these for any LW user.

However there are still better ways than drop down menus, for example collapsible / expandable sections in property panels. Further missing are duplicating, locking / unlocking, setting as new root, arranging / docking / undocking of property panels and menus, custom tabs, free choice where to use icons, text or both, adding tools and HUD elements to the viewport, workspaces.

LW lacks an easy-to-use filter for UI elements, for example for hiding bones (RHiggit helps here), grid or other viewport items.

My main pain are all the floating panels and sub dialog boxes and the inability to define the UI the way I want it to be, position and orient tools and buttons as I like. And the fixed-width dialog boxes with truncated text in the tabs of course. Many LW menu items disappear in More... sub menus due to its inflexible interface. CTRL+Space in 2019 or the mentioned OD Tools mitigate that to a degree.

Plugins and settings are hidden all over the place and makes it tedious to work with. Scene Editor, Surface Editor, Image Editor, Motion Options, IK Booster, Backdrop, Legacy Volumetrics, Pixel Filter, Image Filter, Volumentrics in Render panel, Object properties, Light properties, Camera properties, Node Editor, FiberFX, Dynamics, several Option panels and so on... all in individual dialog boxes and many of them with endless list of plugins with their own sub dialogs. On top of that the hundreds of OD Tools with their own panels - most of this could be ONE context sensitive Attribute Manager / Properties dialog. On top of that a Preset system that is incredible poor in its implementation and default content.

When I watch LW tutorials, I see users spending a lot of time moving around dialog boxes because they're often all over the UI and in front of the viewport. On the other hand, I cannot even have the properties of two separate objects open at the same time. Because all of this, LW is a very "clicky" application and feels like a giant patchwork of tiny tools to me.

I personally prefer the classic floating window approach, and am generally pretty unenthused by the modern trend towards docking ui panels and workspaces, which I find restrictive but often unnecessarily complicated (program developers put WAY too much effort into designing new and exciting ways to for users to divide up their screens into lovely little rectangles in my opinion). For me, this approach is neither fish nor fowl. When it comes to speed, hotkeys will always beat any GUI, and the simplicity and ease of use of a simple properties sidebar on one side and toolbar on the other is quickly lost when it is expanded to accommodate a program with the complexity of something like lightwave. Suddenly, even with all the context awareness in the world, you have multiple panels with multiple tabs all of which are designed to be accessed primarily through the gui, whereas currently in lightwave I have nice minimal HUD and use hotkeys to open different panels and close when they are not in use. I agree that there are lots of things that could be improved, particularly through some smart consolidation and getting rid of a lot of the fixed-width panels but I would find Lightwave more tedious to use if it adopted a docked-UI Paradigm. To each his own I guess.

I just finished a project that had lots of full body replacement and screen replacement.
    A few things that were not very easy in Layout (in this case LW2015) that I ended up doing in Fusion for 90%:

* Matching the shape of objects near the left/right border - to match the lens distortion of the backplates.
    * Matching the shape of objects - to remove body parts that would stick out behind the replacement body.
    * Fixing inaccurate match-moving results in a few difficult shots.
    * Fixing colorspace issues per item groups.

I would love to see more tools in Layout for doing this kind of stuff.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast