Thread: Looking into a new computer

Looking into a new computer

I think my Mac pro is dead so I've been looking at computers to replace it. I'm leaning toward purchasing the 17" HP Omen eventually upgrading with additional memory and ssd as I get the money to do so. Or should I buy for less than 100 dollars more a HP Z420 both systems are refurbished. The workstation is a ddr3 system. Which would you purchase and why?

Hey, theres another lightwaver in northern indiana!?

To be honest, I would build my own. You'll not only save money but you'll have extensive knowledge of your rig if anything ever goes wrong with it. Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by grafxstudio View Post
    I think my Mac pro is dead so I've been looking at computers to replace it. I'm leaning toward purchasing the 17" HP Omen eventually upgrading with additional memory and ssd as I get the money to do so. Or should I buy for less than 100 dollars more a HP Z420 both systems are refurbished. The workstation is a ddr3 system. Which would you purchase and why?
    Largely, as with most things, it gets down to what you intend to do.

The writing on the wall though is that more & more, GPU demands will only increase with any graphical app. System memory & HD speed are not the key factors as they once were, the video card(s) are.

But in order to take avantage of that, the system has to be able to handle the video card in the first place; actually multiple video cards. Unfortunately cost wise, that's going to mean newer technology; ya can't just get the latest & greatest video card to run probably in even a 5 year old system. You can only go so far.

After my 1st IBM XT, I've always built my own. I decided just cut to the chase so to speak this time. The system I'm expecting at the end of the week I purchased from Boxx Systems; a T-Class system. I'd researched this for a couple years & finally got in a position that I could afford it, but timed things such to take advantage of price & tax breaks. Just moving to Oregon saved me a grand in sales tax.

Now I'm definitely NOT saying this is the way to go, but I usually point folk that are looking into doing 3D & such to at least look around on their site as the info applies no matter what and is a good source for comparison if nothing else. Look at the tech videos, their client list, etc. You'll quickly find info on what to consider for what you wish to do.

https://www.boxx.com/why-boxx/whats-in-the-boxx

But in any case...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu0U...pCrK_eNCS&t=1s
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Yes I usually do build my own systems but I found this system on https://hotlaptopstore.com/ and I just couldn't pass it up not for what I am getting and it will fit in to my budget at ths time

That HP workstation is completely outdated (2012). Avoid. The HP Omen is pretty good (2017), but still a laptop - hard to fix yourself when things go wrong with the mainboard, cpu or GPU. But the reviews are good.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Yes I usually do build my own systems but I found this system on https://hotlaptopstore.com/ and I just couldn't pass it up not for what I am getting and it will fit in to my budget at ths time
    Certainly. They'll only get better & cheaper for a given performance, & there'll always be the bleeding edge beckoning. Boy do I know that tune. Hoping this will be my last to some degree; it'll get added to if/when needed certainly. My last, last one will need to use implants & have a bed pan I suspect.

I've been limping along on a very aged Win7 system for some time. Since LW2018, I've worked on some scenes that just brought the poor thing to it's knees trying to render. Bought World Creator last summer and basically all I can do with it is start it & look at the pretty options. Trying to do much of anything completely taxes the Quadro 4000; the fan can't cool it enough & will shut the system down from over heat. No fun. Sort of like sitting in a Lamborghini & only being able to put it in idle & maybe open the glove box.

Enjoy. A new system's a new system after all.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

My only concern looking at the laptops on the site you've linked to is that some of the prices appear to be too good to be true, e.g. a refurbished ASUS - Strix GL504GS with an 8GB 1070 graphics card for under £150 inlcuding free international shipping. I would want to do a little more research on the company before giving them any money.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

I think you are right, Qexit: I just checked the Whois info, and a trustworthy business should not hide their business address and name.

Their address seems to point to a Staples superstore in South California? On the about page they call themselves Staplees Inc. - an obvious scam, I think.

And their support telephone number is 1-888-777-3949, which the same number as a company called Finish Line, another online company.

Don't trust this site, I say. Alarm bells going off everywhere.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode