Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shakes fist at Newtek!

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA

Shakes fist at NewTek!

Full disclosure, I haven't been doing a whole lot of editing in the past few (maybe many) years , but for what I needed to do I found a way to still use SpeedEDIT. Using a super fast machine and rendering everything to SpeedHQ first and I have still been knocking out 1080 projects big bam boom. No problem.

Well now I have to cut some 4k stuff, and no go with SE so I'm forced to learn a "modern NLE".

Well, I say with peace and love... peace and love, [email protected] you Newtek for letting this most wonderful piece of video editing software become abandonware! My god doing the most simple things with these other behemoths is purely laborious!! I would already be done with the project and I'm still trying to figure out how to fade in a clip! :/

Anywho.. guess I'll turn my attention back to suffering thru 10 minute you tube tutorials in order to learn how to do something that takes 45 seconds.

Long live SpeedEDIT!
    Last edited by Jim_C; 03-18-2019 at 10:40 PM.

I hear you.

Keeping SpeedEdit current wouldn't take all that much.

It doesn't have to be a huge investment on NewTek's part. Just a few updates and they'd have yet another product to add to their sale list. Heck, they could just make it a digital download-only app. No paper to print, no boxes, no discs. The only costs would be some coding and a certain amount of user support (in conjunction with the SpeedEdit forum to help reduce the costs of support).
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

Actually, the entire effects engine was coded around SD, not HD (much less UHD) ... just reworking all of that stuff would be non-trivial. Sorry, guys - I loved it too.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I never used speededit, always used premiere or lately resolve. What was so great about speed edit? Are there any youtube vids showing its coolness? Just interested.

SpeedEdit was an attempt to make a very quick video editor with a simplified interface that uses as few clicks as possible to get the job done. It included a number of time-savers like bulk application of fades, quick cuts to music, near-real-time inter-format clip rendering, and rapid clip re-arrangement. A nice, efficient program. A bit more refinement to the spline graph and the text tools and it would be pretty much perfect.

Here's a video showing a bit of how the interface works:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMIF7R2nSUc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5cwLfzXVu4
    Last edited by jbrookes; 03-29-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

Thanks I will check out the video.

what new apps are you guys using ?

DaVinci Resolve
    HitFilm
    Premiere

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Fusion is a very good median editor

with the bonus that LW/F
    usion tutorials are available

@ libertyt3d.com (and Mr.rid uses it too)!

I use Vegas and Resolve, but for HD projects that need to get out in a hurry, I use SE because it's fast and a real lifesaver. A couple of years ago, I had to edit some footage (can't remember the format) that neither Vegas or Resolve would accept. You guessed it, SE had no problem with that footage. Compared with the power and simplicity of SE, I find Vegas and Resolve workable but clunky and over complicated.

Vegas is horrible imo.

Yeah, agree Resolve ain't the fastest. though darn powerful.

by the way, for quick and dirty cutting video, try Video ReDo TVsuite
    it doesn't re-compress the entire video, so saving an edited file (even at 1GB) takes seconds.

Video ReDo TVsuite looks too simple for the kind of multi-layer and special effects work that is so easy for me to do with SE and color correction I do with Resolve.

oh yes, definitely!

its an addition for super fast cut-export, (exports in seconds instead of hours)
    --- but not an alternative for editing, that's for SE/HF/DR
    Last edited by erikals; 04-01-2019 at 02:39 PM.

NewTek Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_C View Post
    Full disclosure, I haven't been doing a whole lot of editing in the past few (maybe many) years , but for what I needed to do I found a way to still use SpeedEDIT. Using a super fast machine and rendering everything to SpeedHQ first and I have still been knocking out 1080 projects big bam boom. No problem.

Well now I have to cut some 4k stuff, and no go with SE so I'm forced to learn a "modern NLE".

Well, I say with peace and love... peace and love, [email protected] you Newtek for letting this most wonderful piece of video editing software become abandonware! My god doing the most simple things with these other behemoths is purely laborious!! I would already be done with the project and I'm still trying to figure out how to fade in a clip! :/

Anywho.. guess I'll turn my attention back to suffering thru 10 minute you tube tutorials in order to learn how to do something that takes 45 seconds.

Long live SpeedEDIT!
    I wonder now that Newtek has been sold if we will be seeing a 64bit ,4K compatible ,OFX compliant SpeedEdit in the near future https://www.provideocoalition.com/ne...t-from-norway/
    https://www.provideocoalition.com/ne...t-from-norway/

Still seems very unlikely to me, sorry.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

You never know. Look what happened when Cakewalk Sonar NLE folded after Gibson filed for Bankruptcy. Bandlabs bought it and resurrected Cakewalk for free and is updated monthly. I am using it today after spending tons of money to buy it over the past 30 years. So, Anne they will release SE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast