Thread: Question on TC1 ability to mix HD and UHD inputs / outputs

Question on TC1 ability to mix HD and UHD inputs / outputs

Here is what we are trying to do:

Input:
    3 Sony cameras via Spark Pros (or other 4k NDI converters)
    2 computer sources via SDI @ 1080 with the TC1

Record the 3 camera sources and the main mix in 4k.

Output:
    To the IMAG switcher @1080

We need to be able to edit the videos in 4k for post work but we do not need 4k live.

The questions are:
    With the project set to 4k will it also be able to accept and scale the 1080 sdi inputs?
    With the project set to 4k the only output is the quad sdi so a blackmagic quad to hdmi converter will work to input to the IMAG hdmi switcher?
    Can the project be 4k and record 4k but the outputs set to 1080?

Technical Account Manager - Channel Support
    The short answer is yes to everything you have asked.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

For what it's worth when you go into 4k mode the TC1 iso recorders drop from 4 to just 1. Unless this just changed in the recent upgrade you won't be able to record everything while in uhd mode. Just one. I thought that also meant the 4 sdi outs could not in fact be switched back to separate 1080 I outputs

Just loaded up a session and it does look like I am able to activate 3 more recorders utilizing inputs 1-3. Reading through the forums though these recorders only can record what is assigned to physical inputs 1-4 (1080p max). The trick people use for NDI recording on TC1 appears to be to assign the NDI to an output and tell the isocorder to record the output. In this case the outputs are all tied up with mix1 (quad SDI 4k). I couldn't find a method to undo this. On the output I had Mix1 which I could set to program or any of the inputs etc. I then have stream encoder 1 and 2 which can utilize mix 1 and nothing else for video and any of the audio sources (Master or Aux1-3).

Looks like IsoCorder Free can record 2 of the NDI channels and the pro version could do more assuming your hardware is good to write that much data to disk.

Thanks for the info.

The recording of the 3 4k NDI sources seems like it can't happen because when in 4k the TC1 only has 1 mix out. I switched everything to 1080 and was able to assign mix 2 to 4 to each camera.

So the TC1 has no way to record an NDI input with out this routing even with 1080? I'd like to use a mix out to go SDI in to my monitor that has scopes to check the preview source.

I tried IsoCorder Free on a PC with a SSD and at 4k it was skipping so many frames in the recording was unusable. Plus the SpeedHQ format kills my post workflow so I need to find another solution.

You were on wired ethernet @ 1gbit for the recording test correct? My understanding is the 4K content will use upwards of 300mbit at times.

If your session is at 1080i you can assign your NDI source to one of the outputs. You then set your iso corder to record said output. You could then use the physical connection to check your scopes. Output 1 - Program, Output 2-4 assigned to the 3 cameras.

It sounds I cant use 4 cameras with 4K NDI to be recorderded or to use with reply even if my project ia 1080i? How many NDI output I have on TC1 and can be setted to other resolution like the source?

The new version which hasn't been released yet will have what you want I think. It is only limited by drive speed in terms of writing the NDI source to disk for replay/capture. Get a couple SSDs and goto town. Once that update is released. I would still want to confirm with someone who has access to the beta that 4k would still allow the "unlimited" recording option for NDI.

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    The new version which hasn't been released yet will have what you want I think. It is only limited by drive speed in terms of writing the NDI source to disk for replay/capture. Get a couple SSDs and goto town. Once that update is released. I would still want to confirm with someone who has access to the beta that 4k would still allow the "unlimited" recording option for NDI.
    Hi, I don't have the beta, but keep in ming the "unlimited" part of recording option is tight to the Premium Access licence.

Good point - 8 without premium access (up from 4) at least: https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...=1#post1572438