Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cg humans - Jacques Defontaine

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

but honestly, not many LightWavers tried to push FiberFX very far.
    Can I put you on the spot (if you don't mind ). I never saw too much of either FiberFX or Sasquatch, so if you had to choose, which did you prefer under the respective versions of LW ?

Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post

What he said (bump)

but honestly, not many LightWavers tried to push FiberFX very far.
    i smacked up a FiberFX render in LightWave 2019 and was able to get a decent result on the First try.
    and i personally sukh at lighting / rendering (!)

so, no, wouldn't blame LightWave 2019 here.

i encourage other wavers to share test renders. FiberFX is way better these days.
    So its just that Lightwavers are lazy? That actually says it all, the tool is so hard to use so you must fight it to get a nice render out of it.
    Last edited by Ztreem; 03-19-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Back on topic: I always view renders such as this one as supremely high quality pieces of realistic looking art - similar to the works of highly trained oil painters who paint realistically and try to achieve a photo realism, and even looking better than an actual photo, without actually achieving photo realism. Or a perfectly executed bust in marble.

To me it looks obviously like a CG render. It's not photo realistic - it is hyper-realistic. Too clean. But in a good way, of course.

It's a testament to the technical and artistic capabilities of the artist. Looks beautiful.

Aside from VFX and Movies, historical reconstructions, situations where a photograph is impractical or impossible, and fine-tuning one's technical skills, I don't really see the use of a perfect photographic render. Take a photograph.

And therefore I like this image, because it is NOT photo-realistic. I call this hyper-realistic work, and it is superbly executed technically.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    So its just that Lightwavers are lazy?
    so you are saying that if LightWavers don't execute several great FiberFX tests, it is because they are lazy.

doubt it.

it can be due to, lack of users, lack of time, lack of vfx professionals, etc etc.

--------------------------------------------

FiberFX or Sasquatch, so if you had to choose, which did you prefer under the respective versions of LW ?
    FiberFX, hands down.
    Last edited by erikals; 03-19-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    It's not photo realistic - it is hyper-realistic. Too clean. But in a good way, of course.
    not sure if you took art class, but "hyper-realistic" is actually the correct term.
    and i kinda agree, it looks like a hyper/photoreal mix. creating perfect photorealism is quite difficult.

Aside from VFX and Movies, historical reconstructions, situations where a photograph is impractical or impossible, and fine-tuning one's technical skills, I don't really see the use of a perfect photographic render. Take a photograph.
    i know Jacques worked on Avatar, so it wouldn't surprise me if the specific render was a test for some sort of upcoming facial animations.
    Last edited by erikals; 03-19-2019 at 03:06 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

not sure if you took art class, but "hyper-realistic" is actually the correct term.
    and i kinda agree, it looks like a hyper/photoreal mix. creating perfect photorealism is quite difficult.
    I did! Long time ago, though.

I recall doing a drawing course, and I had created a quite real and convincing render of a tree branch. The art instructor was not amused, because it "looked too real", and I had used visual "tricks".

That's when I quit that class. I am a firm believer that to abstract nature and reality, as an artist we need to understand the visual structure first and foremost. I met too many "forward looking artists" who couldn't render a convincing cube and sphere even if their lives depended on it, let alone render a realistic depiction of a human being.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    So its just that Lightwavers are lazy? That actually says it all, the tool is so hard to use so you must fight it to get a nice render out of it.

I am not Lazy, if I find a tool or area of passion, such as clouds...I work a lot with it, if it isnīt in my way too much that is..which I always felt about fiberfx, and except for clouds god knows I love hair, on beautiful beings and as a dream to have it mysefl( and hereīs where you all see me polishing my free landing area on top of the head)

Previously we had the issues of instability up till 2015, and after that we got a new type of primitives requiring a lot of AA and is really slow to render..for me it is untolerable, though I think I may percieve a bit of speed enhancement in 2019, but canīt tell for sure, it is however much slower than GPU solutions.

so you are saying that if LightWavers don't execute several great FiberFX tests, it is because they are lazy.

Not at all. You indicated that you think that LW users has not pushed fiberfx very far, as if they not work hard enough. That's why I wonder if you think Lwavers are lazy? I know that alot of community members has worked very hard to get anything decent out of fiberfx and most has not succeeded. why? not because they have not tried hard enough, it's because fiberfx is buggy, crashy or very hard to work with. It's sad that after more than 10 years it's still not up to par with other solutions. Most people has given up and do hair styling in other apps and most don't do hair at all in Lw. And now realtime rendering in Eevee & UE looks better than fiberfx that takes hours to render, isn't it a bit sad?
    Last edited by Ztreem; 03-19-2019 at 05:51 PM.

The issue here is Rendering Power and the Time it takes to get realistic visuals.

I believe I can get realistic results from FiberFX, if I had the Rendering Power and Time just to prove a point,
    but I don't.

Kris Costa has amazing work as well.

https://www.artstation.com/kriscosta
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12