Thread: Visual Effects created in Lightwave for Shock and Awe, and LBJ

Visual Effects created in Lightwave for Shock and Awe, and LBJ

Some visual FX I rendered in Lightwave 11.6.3 for the movies Shock and Awe (2017), and LBJ (2016, both directed by Rob Reiner.
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

Thanks so much for sharing your work. I find it incredibly inspirational, and it makes me want to keep doing the best I can with my own stuff. All the effects are first class and seamless. Great work!!

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rid View Post
    Some visual FX I rendered in Lightwave 11.6.3 for the movies Shock and Awe (2017), and LBJ (2016, both directed by Rob Reiner.
    Wow, beautiful work. Perhaps the aircraft taking off looked a little too evenly lit (probably tweak-able in post)? ... I hesitate to say as the work is superb.

Lightwave also allowed me to plot dimensions of the C-130 plane for the supervisor on location, and to predict where the plane shadow should fall. It was important for the soldiers to appear to walk out of the shadow of the plane tail. So occlusion flags were placed to cast shadows appropriately, that would hopefully align with CG plane shadows. I did have to use bones to deform a shadow-casting version of the plane, unseen by camera, so that the CG tail shadow aligned with the location flag shadows.

In Lightwave, I arranged cones to a blueprint of a C-130, and applied Range Finder to each, which showed the distance between cones (and draws a link), so the supervisor could drop a cone on the ground at the tail point, walk 9' with a measuring wheel and drop another cone, walk 6' and drop a cone, etc, to quickly mark off the plane dimensions, to let everyone know where the plane would be, so they can arrange vehicles, and choreograph people accordingly. I also entered the day, time and location in SkyTracer's Sun Position, to anticipate where the plane shadow should fall, at different hours of the day they were shooting.

The blue geometry shows the container the soldiers would walk out of, and arrangement for blocks of foam to cast shadows.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PerspectiveView_03.PNG 
Views:	129 
Size:	529.3 KB 
ID:	144420

Name:	TopView_03.PNG 
Views:	106 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	144424

Name:	TopView_02_shado_2pm.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	144423

Name:	Previz_01_angle_3.gif 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	144425

Name:	LW_Skytracer_time.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	144426
    Last edited by Mr Rid; 03-15-2019 at 01:17 AM.
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

Wow! That's amazing. I love the before and after so you can see the difference. Very impressive work.

Frequenter
    Congrats also from my side! And thanks for the additional insight! :-) Much appreciated!

Y'see, this is what I'm talking about.

Awesome work!
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

Posted on the Cgsociety forum. great INSPIRING work.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Great work

How'd you create the reflections of the guys walking across the reflective path at the memorial - the distant shot?
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

How do you get such clean alphas of the actors to replace the plane behind them when not using a green screen?

Hi just want to ask are there any plans to release a workflow video series on this work. Stuff of this level does not exist for Lw users even if its really simple videos.....

>>> The realism is simply amazing you cannot tell what is cg without your breakdown
    Last edited by 3dhotshot; 03-23-2019 at 07:54 AM.
    it really sucks ......

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rid View Post
    Lightwave also allowed me to plot dimensions of the C-130 plane for the supervisor on location, and to predict where the plane shadow should fall. It was important for the soldiers to appear to walk out of the shadow of the plane tail. So occlusion flags were placed to cast shadows appropriately, that would hopefully align with CG plane shadows. I did have to use bones to deform a shadow-casting version of the plane, unseen by camera, so that the CG tail shadow aligned with the location flag shadows.

In Lightwave, I arranged cones to a blueprint of a C-130, and applied Range Finder to each, which showed the distance between cones (and draws a link), so the supervisor could drop a cone on the ground at the tail point, walk 9' with a measuring wheel and drop another cone, walk 6' and drop a cone, etc, to quickly mark off the plane dimensions, to let everyone know where the plane would be, so they can arrange vehicles, and choreograph people accordingly. I also entered the day, time and location in SkyTracer's Sun Position, to anticipate where the plane shadow should fall, at different hours of the day they were shooting.

The blue geometry shows the container the soldiers would walk out of, and arrangement for blocks of foam to cast shadows.

Name:	PerspectiveView_03.PNG 
Views:	129 
Size:	529.3 KB 
ID:	144420

Name:	TopView_03.PNG 
Views:	106 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	144424

Name:	TopView_02_shado_2pm.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	144423

Name:	Previz_01_angle_3.gif 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	144425

Name:	LW_Skytracer_time.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	144426
    David, thanks especially for sharing a bit of the "how I did it" story. That kind of stuff is always incredibly interesting.

Do you work as an independent contractor, or is LW being used more foundationally in these productions?

Very cool David! I love to see the behind the scenes look of CG extended scenes. Seamless.
    Gary Chike