Thread: Windows 7 will reach end of life on January 14, 2020

Newbie Member

Windows 7 will reach end of life on January 14, 2020

I have a Tricaster Mini HD-SDI that I just upgraded to Advanced Edition 3 and I am being told that it will no longer be allowed on the university LAN after January 14th, 2020. Are there any plans to address this so that my device won't become useless?

Can't find it, but Zane Condren of Newtek just responded to a similar question in the past week or so stating that TriCaster Mini uses a Windows Embedded version that will be supported through something like 2025, so things are likely not as dire as you may think

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Microsoft will support Windows Embedded Standard 7 (which the mini uses) through July 27, 2025.

Newbie Member
    What OS ships with the 4K Mini?

Newbie Member
    The University ITS is telling me Newtek has not confirmed that they would be supplying additional patches to the device past October 2020.

At the moment, their site confirms the October 2020 end of support date: https://support.newtek.com/hc/en-us/...End-of-Support

Furthermore, the official Microsoft product lifecycle search still lists the end of support at October 2020. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ice%20Pack%201

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
    Microsoft will support Windows Embedded Standard 7 (which the mini uses) through July 27, 2025.
    No, this is incorrect information. MS will not support any W7 variants after 2022 - even with a MS extended security update. The ESU's are only available to OEM's as well, and NewTek has not stated that they've purchased ESU's for the W7 based machines. My guess is that they're not because it would probably be eye wateringly expensive.

To be clear:
    END OF SUPPORT FOR ALL FORMS OF W7 embedded: 10/13/2020.
    END OF SUPPORT for W7 extended service update agreements: 10/31/2022

Mini 4K (and all other NewTek products) ship with Windows 10 LTSB.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

The dates for Windows 7 Embedded shown here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...curity-updates appear to now show October 10, 2023? Can anyone confirm this applies to the Tricaster install?

That is for the Extended Service Update and it must be purchased by the OEM (NewTek, in our case) and pushed out to their customers. ESU's are not available to the public. Without an ESU, the sunset date for W7 is 10/2020 as I stated above.