Thread: Quick question on different default audio levels Streaming/Local/External records

Quick question on different default audio levels Streaming/Local/External records

Just setting up some sessions on AE3 and I notice the audio level for stream 1 and stream 2 which you can see by looking at the output configuration is set tp -12db as default. This is 8db different to the Record Configuration level which is -20db for the local records and 0db for External records.

I'm a bit confused. Tried setting everything to -20db so it all matched, but this is session specific instead of global, and also it's incredibly hard to accurately adjust the little spinny wheel thingy, would be nicer if you could type in a value.

But the main question is why are the 3 different types of recordings given 3 different default audio levels, or am I missing something?

I seem to recall the MP4 recording being the same in AE2, but I could globally change this so it wasn't a massive issue for me.

I just make a macro to set them, then you can type in a value. Run a macro at session start and set all of these values. Although it appears the streaming adjustment do not record into macros.

I think the reason for the differences i the amount of headroom that you have for recording files versus what the streaming engine allows for. I didn't even realize there were adjustments for the External sources.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane, problem is I'm recording my MP4s using the streaming engine and as you say you can't run a macro for the streaming adjustments. I would tend to have the one that's just recording an mp4 set to -20 to match my MOV records, and the other encoder that's set for streaming I would adjust manually to ensure we have a good level going to stream, once I've set these I'd need to do for every session so having it global or recalled via a macro would be ideal.

Would be wonderful to be able to make precise adjustments to the audio levels by clicking and typing in a value like you do for positioning, or cropping an edge. At the very least it would be nice if it snapped to -20 at the moment when I adjust it's either -19.50 or -20.33 it's really hard to set it to -20 so something that should take seconds you end up faffing around for 5 minutes and it gets frustrating.

Re external sources, i've not got any hooked up, but on the list on AE3 there are audio level adjustment faders that default to 0db

Is this a fogbuz thing?

I'd Fogbugz it.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I'd Fogbugz it.
    WIll do. Probably not till Monday as I'm about to down tools for the day. Early start!

Quote Originally Posted by dtweek View Post
    Would be wonderful to be able to make precise adjustments to the audio levels by clicking and typing in a value like you do for positioning, or cropping an edge. At the very least it would be nice if it snapped to -20 at the moment when I adjust it's either -19.50 or -20.33 it's really hard to set it to -20 so something that should take seconds you end up faffing around for 5 minutes and it gets frustrating.
    I think one of the modifier keys, either CTRL or SHIFT while you are twirling those little knobs goes into a fine adjustment. I was doing something similar the other day and thinking the same thing. I mushed one of those modifiers and was able to hit the exact numbers a little easier. I think...

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52