Thread: Any chance of stick on cards for AE3

Any chance of stick on cards for AE3

Since upgrading to AE3 the functionality of the liveset buttons and M/E Delegate buttons have changed quite a bit.

I quite like the new layout, it would be wonderful if we could be sent a little overlay that could sit around the buttons that would say what the buttons now do, IE something to cover the bit that says M/E Delegate which is now the PTZ control area, and something that says M/E Delegate to cover the bit that says LIVESET SHOT.

I'm probably going to make my own DIY one, but it would a nice touch if it could be sent to anyone upgrading to AE3. i'm using the CS8000

Also on a similar topic, how easy is it to remove the buttons and change the labels? I don't want to tug too hard on the buttons in case they are designed not to come out, but I would like them to reflect what they do now rather than just the numbers 1-8

Answer to the second part. We have remove the buttons with a pliers (Kombizange) and a little cloth towel for protection. We have print little signs and put there in the buttons with the original signs. It works.
    Tricaster 460AE3 + 460CS
    3 x JVC GY-HM890
    Panasonic AW-UE70
    Newtek PTZ1 | Newtek Spark HDMI | Newtek Spark SDI

Thanks, I've just done the same. Works fairly well, I used the X-Keys Template PDF and just cut them all a bit smaller. Only issue is the old Numbers still show through when lit, I don't want to scratch them off so blank ones would be best, but it's much improved doing a manual re-label.

I submitted the question of a layover for the CS8000 to NewTek customer service, mainly due to the fact that using the 8000 CS with AE3 makes the job of switching more difficult. No reply. My guess is the answer is a "no" due to cost. This was one of the many reasons I went back to AE2 and I'm probably going to stay there.

Yeah it's a shame. I do like the Copy To, Copy From, MEM and Comp bit that's a big improvement, but I don't use PTZ at all so I would have preferred that to have stayed as the M/E Delegate. Also during live production i'm never going to use the copy to or copy from feature, it would be nice if it were in a config mode.

As i'm running virtual sets, I tend to use M/E1-4 for presenter shots and M/E5-8 as effects buses, which sadly means that all the buses I need to control now need 2 buttons to be pushed to get control and even then, there is no light to show which one is selected. Also as I am running virtual sets the old LIVESET Shot was much easier for me as again it was one button push to recall instead of 2, I've remapped these to X-Keys now as the 2 Button press just doesn't work for me operationally.

I'm sure for those who use PTZ the change to the control surface is welcomed, it's a shame you can't have 2 configs available in the control surfaces add on so if you are not using PTZ that you can have access to all 8 M/Es as a single button push with a light to show which one you are controlling.

I'm going to make my own layover eventually. But i'm probably going to roll back to AE2 tomorrow anyway as the link to RundownCreator is broken, they are working on it, but I have a show on Friday that won't work unless RundownCreator is connected to the system, last time this happened it was fixed fairly quickly.
    Last edited by dtweek; 03-13-2019 at 02:03 AM.

Been thinking about this a bit more, and maybe the answer is softkeys. Lots of desks have them, you could basically make both the M/E Delegate and LIVESET SHOT keys into soft keys which you could allocate functionality to via the Control Surfaces Add on. This would give the best of all worlds. By default they could be whatever NewTek decides, but they could be customized by the user to provide the functionality that they need for their operations. This would allow simple out the box operation by those with limited knowledge of live production, but would allow the more professional user to customize the work surface so it aides their workflow rather than potentially adding complexity.
    It would also allow you to recall a state of the softkeys so you've got a config mode when you need to be copying and pasting lots of settings, and then a live production mode when it's all about recalling things with a single button push, and being able to see which M/E you are controlling.

Whilst we are at it, we could add another layer of user customisation to the multiview, so those of us who want to always see transition durations, and to have the countdown shown under the DDRs on multiviewer can toggle them on if required. These could live under an advanced user setting.

If these changes were to happen, I would once again skip all the way to work on days that I'm using a Tricaster/VMC1/TC1. What a glorious day that would be!

Quote Originally Posted by dtweek View Post
    Only issue is the old Numbers still show through when lit, I don't want to scratch them off so blank ones would be best, but it's much improved doing a manual re-label.
    I don't know about CS8000, but when we used out old CS for TC460 for our new TC1 (as it's literally the same thing with different top panel and button labels), it was possible to pluck the buttons, shake out the plastic pieces inside the actual buttons and replace them with a piece of paper with printed new functions. The light shines through as before just fine.
    I can provide pdf with new buttons, just print it and cut out, if anyone wants it. We don't have AE3 on 460 yet, but i assume the buttons changed to TC1 layout.

I think there are some CS units that have the label as an insert inside the cap and other buttons where the label is printed directly on the button.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Yeah mines printed on the pop out bit of plastic, but I've put the paper on top as otherwise it was a bit flimsy, it's fine it just could look nicer.

Having them allocated as soft-keys excites me though. Kane can you make it happen?

As a a NewTek Elite Partner we are looking into making simple .600" x .600" and .725" x .725" mylar printed inserts and replacement blank OEM plastic inserts available for the buttons (switches). We are direct with the manufacturer that provided the original switch inserts for NewTek, so these would be an exact fit and not damage the key switches. I did explore having the original OEM silk screen the button inserts, but the cost is really prohibitive.

We were going to make these kits available to clients purchasing their AE3 upgrade through us, but if there is demand, we could look into making them into an item we sell on it's own. Let me know.

I have the label changes for the 455, 460, 855, and 860 surfaces all figured out (thanks to Kane on the 860 CS), but I'm still working on the 8000 CS.

Let me know if there is a demand for this. We also have replacement switches and button caps available if any are broken, as we service most models of NewTek CS.

Chris Auger
    Advanced Lighting & Sound
    NewTek Elite Partner
    Troy, MI

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
    As a a NewTek Elite Partner we are looking into making simple .600" x .600" and .725" x .725" mylar printed inserts and replacement blank OEM plastic inserts available for the buttons (switches). We are direct with the manufacturer that provided the original switch inserts for NewTek, so these would be an exact fit and not damage the key switches. I did explore having the original OEM silk screen the button inserts, but the cost is really prohibitive.

We were going to make these kits available to clients purchasing their AE3 upgrade through us, but if there is demand, we could look into making them into an item we sell on it's own. Let me know.

I have the label changes for the 455, 460, 855, and 860 surfaces all figured out (thanks to Kane on the 860 CS), but I'm still working on the 8000 CS.

Let me know if there is a demand for this. We also have replacement switches and button caps available if any are broken, as we service most models of NewTek CS.

Chris Auger
    Advanced Lighting & Sound
    NewTek Elite Partner
    Troy, MI

Would be handy, to be honest, even blank ones would be handy as we can then print our own labels and stick them on like you do with the XKeys. Especially if they get converted into softkeys(but I think I may be alone in this dream!)

Quote Originally Posted by dtweek View Post
    Would be handy, to be honest, even blank ones would be handy as we can then print our own labels and stick them on like you do with the XKeys. Especially if they get converted into softkeys(but I think I may be alone in this dream!)
    We stock blank OEM switch inserts for service now, but most of them are for the .725" x .725" "program row" buttons (to label custom NDI input names). I usually only stock a couple hundred of each size. I have an order pending with the switch manufacturer for a very large quantity of both sizes.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
    As a a NewTek Elite Partner we are looking into making simple .600" x .600" and .725" x .725" mylar printed inserts and replacement blank OEM plastic inserts available for the buttons (switches). We are direct with the manufacturer that provided the original switch inserts for NewTek, so these would be an exact fit and not damage the key switches.

Count us in as an interested party.