Thread: Doing a still render of a sandy beach in LW (Normady) any advice?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Doing a still render of a sandy beach in LW (Normady) any advice?

Hey Guys,
    I have been commissioned to do a closeup render of a WWII allied helmet (with a mesh) on sandy beach.
    This render might become an actual animation so I want to model all elements (from the sand to the water wake, to the sand pebbles)

Any advice on how to get a photo realistic look in native LW? I am looking forward to your ideas. I have some ideas but I would love to hear what you guys have to say.
    Challenges:
    I am doing this on LW 2015- I am going to upgrade to 2019 and I have no time to try a new workflow.
    HELMET-
    Netting on Helmet and Strap
    SAND
    I want the sand to look as realistic as possible
    Water puddles and Wet sand

-R
    PS (I am sorry for misspelling Normandy)
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 03-10-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Well, my first thought, if this is only a still render, would be to use an actual photo of the sand as a background plate and only composite in your helmet. But, I understand if you want to make it animation ready. But you could front project an image of the sand onto some simple geometry and still get a subtle camera move out of an animation. So you are looking from the beach out toward the water?

For modeling the sand, you could try instancing millions (billions?) of sand particle models on the surface of a sand dune model. This way, you'll actually see the grains. Wet sand tends to just look a little darker and more specular.

The helmet netting pattern could be modeled as flat and, in modeler, perhaps use Heat Shrink to get it to the shape of your helmet. You'll probably still have to do some hand tweaking to get it to go around the lip of the helmet.

For rendering, I would just make sure to use a good HDR of whatever type of day the mood is (sunny, cloudy, sunset, etc.).

Zsolt did a crab on a beach a while ago - looked like a great texture map plus instancing. Looks great to me:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/art...t-ekho-farkas/
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Quote Originally Posted by kopperdrake View Post
    Zsolt did a crab on a beach a while ago - looked like a great texture map plus instancing. Looks great to me:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/art...t-ekho-farkas/
    That's a great crab all right. The sand looks to be simple textured polys & certainly works. I was thinking that the OP might consider some cloth FX or even Bullet tools to have the helmet deform a depression.

In any case with a project like this, if there isn't an existing shot to start from, then a simple even crude sketch of what's actually being seen is essential. If not, all you have is a very blank canvas.

Don't know if it's genetic or occupational, but I've lost count of how many Art Directors types and others, who are actually in the biz of making imagery day to day, & will just draw up & freeze at the thought of giving me a simple thumbnail sketch of their IDEA!!! All too often you get a "graphic artiste" who just wants to text or talk about a visual idea. Have yet to figure that out. Please SHOW me, don't verbal it! FOS; Fear Of Sketching! Usually snaps them back when I mention needing to charge triple for mind reading.

Often I can whang something together in Modeler, from primatives or quick asset search, do a screen capture of a wire frame & send that to ask "Something like this"? Some take the hint (particularly if you suggest it) to draw notes or comments on the image, or send their own, & away ya go.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post

In any case with a project like this, if there isn't an existing shot to start from, then a simple even crude sketch of what's actually being seen is essential. If not, all you have is a very blank canvas.

Like this?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beach_Helmet.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	144383

Quote Originally Posted by XswampyX View Post
    Like this?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beach_Helmet.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	144383
    Kinda like that.I will do a still pretender of the beach, and maybe an animation. But a lower resolution version of the model would be used for an AR experience. (sorry for the late reply, busy day)
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

https://www.rd-textures.com/shop/#6396

For 2015 i recommend using a a combination of textures, texture displacement, and instancing.

If you use 2019 for you could use a primitive plane and apply a surface displacement map to it, this will yield near infinite displacement and will give you the best results in terms of sand geometry.

Thought I'd give this a stab so whanged this together in 2019.03 using some 3rd party tools for PBRing. Used an asset I already had & had no idea it was so detailed. Haven't done anything with the straps; just a proof of concept. Dug up one of Wm. Vaughns vids on using Cloth FX to refresh the wetware. Made a low poly item to make the divot in the sand & tweeked as needed to suit the helmet.

Just added a bit of crumple displace on the sand along with creating the texture in Bitmap2Material 3.1.3 from a found image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeachHelmet.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	144419
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Shots like this I just kinda thing why the hell not just shoot it. Not like you have to flight a film crew out to Normandy, any old sandy beach will do for such a close up shot. Mother nature will give you all the PBR, Fluid dynamics, HDR lighting etc....you need!