Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: What market should LW be concentrating from now on? Tell us your ideas.

Not sure people have posted this on the forums..MR rid stuff, more advanced camera tracking in Lightwave perhaps would be nice to get more jobs done quickly.

Some showcase from What David Ridlen did with the Oscar winning movie "The Green Book"
    Subtle "you could never have guessed it is an CGI effect"is the key..

https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2019/05...re-green-book/

Modeling and weight painting in cinema sucks!
    Those are some of the things I miss from modeler.
    It's so much easier and straight forward to do in lightwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail View Post
    Modeling and weight painting in cinema sucks!
    Those are some of the things I miss from modeler.
    It's so much easier and straight forward to do in lightwave.
    Modeling weight paint, quite nice..but crucial things ar missing, and that is weight emission for particles and fluids, as well a native way to paint it nicely in layout, thatīs why I love it in blender "Layout and modeling"
    just paint on your character where you want your fire to burn, and voila...features not possible with native Lightwave.
    Letīs start by adding it in Layout without extra addons, and then send a notification to Jascha that it is there ..then he need to work on the weigh emission option, then we need to get the latest tfd build.
    Or lets urge for the Lightwave team to do syncronized development natively so the tools work together properly.

6 months to go...

LightWave 2020

Last edited by erikals; 06-01-2019 at 05:15 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Top Dog
    I like that they have made some commitment to Unreal. I would also like to see s9me seamless integration with Web-based tech like ThreeJS and BabylonJS.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    1) Very fast --> wrong, it's the slowest 3D application I use. Slow OpenGL viewport, slow deformations, slow render. Poly modeling is also not faster than others (except Houdini which is not a good example for modeling).
    You should use streaming geometry acceleration for animation instead of buffered (GL display options) when animating content.

2) IK Booster, seriously? The most unintuitive character animation implementation I've seen ever seen.
    The UI lacks discoverability. The point of IKBooster is to allow the user complete freedom when creating a rig. Changing it in the middle of your animation is actually possible due to the way it works... it just has some tradeoffs to allow you to do that.

4) Chronosculpt? A very fast geometry engine but a separate product that never got any feature enhancement from its initial functionality which is very basic. NewTek claimes that the Hydra engine is now part of LW but there is really nothing to see from that. The "new" geometry engine in LW2018+ is very disappointing.
    Just use metamorphic, its basically the same thing in all but the most extreme scenarios without the need to bake everything into mdd

5) Genoma, well it would be ok if implemented in Layout. Rhiggit is better but other rigging tools I know are much more user friendly.
    I guess the developers of genoma didn't know how to implement scaling, sculpting and positioning in layout, which is why they went with modeler. I agree it was a bad decision.

6) Weight Painting in LW? Other applications have auto character weighting and much better painting tools, available everywhere in the application. Layout still has no Weight Paint functionality that actually works out of the box, the one in Metamorphic is too slow to use (surprise, surprise).
    Yeah, after about 20,000 polygons weight painting in metamorphic stops becoming responsive. The weight painter tool from 3rd powers is a complete toolset; no one should be doing rigging work of any kind without it. My theory as to why it's slow is that its trying to update the viewport *while* you sculpt, instead of only applying the deformation after you let go of the mouse button. It would make a huge difference computationally. It's worth noting that this is the way the 3rd powers tool works.

7) Alembic? How have they made it work when it's still broken in LW? Have you ever used it? Besides that other implementations offer interpolation, sub frame motion blur, retiming and many other features in import and export.
    If something is broken it should be reported. As far as basic functionality goes I've been using it for a few years without issue.

No number of new features are going to make people flock to LW... because LW has no idea how to market its software and it was painfully obvious in the 2018 release. The only thing I liked about their publication was that they got users to pitch in, but they really need someone with broad knowledge of Lightwave who is capable of making high quality video content on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 06-02-2019 at 06:23 AM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    No number of new features are going to make people flock to LW... because LW has no idea how to market its software and it was painfully obvious in the 2018 release. The only thing I liked about their publication was that they got users to pitch in, but they really need someone with broad knowledge of Lightwave who is capable of making high quality video content on a regular basis.
    That first part is so true. Features aren't what LW is missing either(Nor is it the problem with modeler as I mentioned in my video on it last year). At least in terms of your basic feature list of things you'd expect of a generalist application. And they could add 10,000 more features to version 2020 and it still wouldn't bring people back or attract people to LW. And yes, the lack of marketing or supporting the product doesn't help things. People largely didn't leave because lack of features, they left because of the fundamental way LW works and how it has failed to overcome its limitations as a split app all these years. You hit walls in LW plain and simple. At least when Rob was here, we had the general notion that overcoming these limitations was the goal. Now we have no idea what the plan is.
    Speaking of marketing, I see the newsletter is recycled news of the 2019 release. They used to have someone that did great on the newsletter so NT put a stop to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    I personally donīt think that sounds right to 100%...maybe 80-90%
    If a feature or a couple of features are so innovative..gamechanger, I do believe the word would spread without much marketing at all, the marketing would be taken care of by users recognizing that awesomeness and spread the workd.
    If the features are standard or not so innovative, not much will happen as you say.

You could on the other hand try and market it much much more, with standard features that doesnīt really impress, they would still go to the other software that cost less and have more innovative tools.

That said, it needs better marketing..but you also got to have something of pretty good value to market...especially in the competition of free tools that also themself brings on innovative stuff, in a way I really do not see lightwave doing currently.

If I am hard drawing it, I am not comfortable accepting that no features would be able to help market Lightwave, or no Modeling enhancements will, hard drawing it that is.

If I was in charge, I would however Hire you Ryan Roye, for some marketing Canīt pay much though

It would be nice if we could have Blenders curve and array tools. Instance painting etc...

Speed and quality over quantity. Performance and workflow should be priority.

Pipelines with multiple programs are now more common than not. The Hub needs to go or it needs next generation speed, stability and capability. Integration while not losing the immediacy of Lightwave Modeler would be nice. There is a reason power modelers like Lewis still use Lightwave Modeler. There is a reason some artists are frustrated and leave Lightwave for certain projects. Namely, the advantages of confident, fast, click-efficient immediate modeling are increasingly outweighed by the flexibility and freedom of procedural and non-destructive tools/workflows.

Maya has an Immediate mode. LW group could do something similar. Instead of Core's cumbersome stack there could be a modifier stack that allows straightforward strategic stacks. Again, something akin to the Edit Poly Max modifier would be a great fit for LW. Thickener modifier. Smooth modifier. Push modifier. Mirror, Copy and Array modifiers. Keep it simple and fun to use. Quality over quantity. A selection modifier with all sorts of options and works directly with Vertex Maps (ie. Embedded data).

Perhaps a nodal network instead of a stack would be more powerful and consistent in terms of LW workflows. Nodes = Modifiers.

Ryan Roye is the obvious choice for marketing but I imagine he might have to cover VizRT tools too.

@Ryan, thanks for your answer. Good to see that you as very experienced LW user share some opinion about limitations and design choices in LW.

About the streaming geometry acceleration thanks, I will try this out when back from vacation.

About the Alembic issues in LW: in my opinion it's broken because it doesn't support changing geometry which is required for most particle / fluid animations, one if the key applications of the Alembic format. Additional to that it's missing interpolation and retiming features which other applications provide.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Speaking of marketing, I see the newsletter is recycled news of the 2019 release. They used to have someone that did great on the newsletter so NT put a stop to that.
    The current newsletter is being done the same way as the previous editors did it - make it up from stories published on the web site since the previous edition of the newsletter. For the moment we're quarterly instead of monthly. Nothing was recycled - we had not done mailings specific to the 2019.0.3 release nor the LightWave Bridge plugin update for UE 4.22, so those were timely for people who do not regularly visit the web site nor our social media - which is most of the mailing list. The coverage of David Ridlen's work on Oscar Best Picture Green Book seems still timely and provides the user coverage story typical for a newsletter issue. The issue rounds out with LightWave 2019 tutorials, including one curated from Mark Warner's YouTube channel. We look forward to picking up more from Mark and others. A lot of interesting videos on LightWave 2019 are showing up.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    The current newsletter is being done the same way as the previous editors did it - make it up from stories published on the web site since the previous edition of the newsletter. For the moment we're quarterly instead of monthly. Nothing was recycled - we had not done mailings specific to the 2019.0.3 release nor the LightWave Bridge plugin update for UE 4.22, so those were timely for people who do not regularly visit the web site nor our social media - which is most of the mailing list. The coverage of David Ridlen's work on Oscar Best Picture Green Book seems still timely and provides the user coverage story typical for a newsletter issue. The issue rounds out with LightWave 2019 tutorials, including one curated from Mark Warner's YouTube channel. We look forward to picking up more from Mark and others. A lot of interesting videos on LightWave 2019 are showing up.

Chuck..I must be looking at the wrong place (youtube) and since I do not have facebook i may miss out on some stuff I reckon.
    on youtube..my searches for lightwave and lightwave3d yields a result of nothing since a month ago, one explanation could be bad algorithms in youtube itself of course and that is probably it, when I search for mark warner and lightwave in one search string, it comes up of course and that it was published two weeks ago, so something wacko with youtube search filters when I filter by upload date, or maybe mark and others havenīt tagged them properly.

Thanks for the heads up on that by the way, since youtube filtering is messing it up it seems, I wouldnīt have recognizing them..other than the fact that I am prescribing on Markīs channel.

Paint on instances with metamorphic sounds interesting..have to check asap.

I think the Unreal Engine Bridge is fantastic and VizRT / Newtek need to hammer on that as hard as they can to make it even more fluid.
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

Quote Originally Posted by wesleycorgi View Post
    ...I would also like to see s9me seamless integration with Web-based tech like ThreeJS and BabylonJS.
    Be sure to submit feature requests with examples of desired workflows.

Lightwave development may have settled on the Sketchfab output function without being aware of other options or needs.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/art...gin-available/

Recently, I've taken LW content into B with the blend4web add-on to show product design previews to clients. I'd prefer a native export from LW. ...However, for this particular application, Sketchfab is probably better as you can prevent the client from swiping the 3D content. With an open standard like ThreeJS, you probably would not want to share any work you want to protect from theft.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 06-04-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast