Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What market should LW be concentrating from now on? Tell us your ideas.

What market should LW be concentrating from now on? Tell us your ideas.

Well as we all know Houdini and Maya seem to have a lock o the high end market,
    C4D has a lock on the Graphic design/ Motion graphics market and Blender has a lock on the "newbies" market.

So what market should Lw be looking at? Mid level Fx market? Indie game dev? VR?

Tell us your ideas, and lets keep it positive.

-R
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

IMHO, it seems like LW is mostly for independent and freelance artists and smaller studios. I see LW as a generalist program, allowing an independent artist the ability to meet most, if not all, of their 3D needs. In my mind, the selling point for LW is its proven track record, technical support, some really great artists who use it, and its efficiency in being able to get things done, that is, once you know how.

I would just like to see the program keep improving, keep showing what it can do and what it has done, and perhaps most importantly, more tutorials showing how these things can be done. At the end of the day, most people just want a certain result, and if LW can get them there, then I think they will be pulled to it. But if they can't find the info on how to achieve a certain result, especially as an independent, then they will probably go to the next program where they can figure it out. Just my thoughts.

For my part i focus on VR with PBR realtime rendering for archviz and design visualisation. I think that Bridges to other tools and softwares like realtime engine (Unity and Unreal) is already a good new feature for getting new users.
    Things that are missing in my opinion are Substance and Quixel live link to get better workflow when texturing in pbr. I mean if i go into substance and edit the texture on my lw object the resulting node network is created on the Lightwave side. Another thing is missing is the ability to get objects or an entire scene from Unity or Unreal it can be very usefull when starting a new project.

I discovered a technology that can be a good addition for Lightwave in the motion capture field:
    It's free and open source!
    https://github.com/CMU-Perceptual-Co...g-Lab/openpose
    Dual Xeon E5-2670 2.6 GHZ // 64 gig DDR 3 // 32 cores // Windows 10

i was in the middle of writing a longer reply but the short answer is, in my mind : it is not as much as what is being worked but more importantly who is working on it and all that that entails.

think ikeda etc..

Personally, I would like LightWave to further develop as a 'competitor' to Maya. To achieve this, integrated simulations would be key; we already got a lot of nice features with bullet, but realistic ocean/water and interactive fog, etc.... would be great. Also, I find Layout messy, to say the least when doing more complex stuff. The U.I. needs some thoughts, not just one thing building on another thing. I'm not sure what the developers could and should do, but the interface needs to feel less like a bunch of dissociative features hidden behind a button, behind another button, etc, etc, etc and so and so on... If just dreaming: If I had the money, I would acquire E-on's VUE code and a couple of their developers, acquire Maxwell and RealFlow (and their developers) and the LightWave code, name and brand, and make up a new LightWave looking almost identical to the current version - but very inspired by Maxwell, built on a cutting edge modern 64-bit architecture for modelling and animation (based on the mesh engine from chronosculpt?). Or maybe construct a consortium between these companies to make a real Maya competitor... Everything can't be AutoDesk.

Games and VR are still a growing market. Focus on indie game developers/animators/designers. Mid to big studios will only use industry standards.

While I think lw should continue to be first and foremost a generalist one-stop shop, It seems to me that there is space to significantly undercut c4d on price as a 3D tool for motion design. I don’t get the impression that Blender has has taken over the low end there like i believe it has in indie games. Lightwave isn’t really there yet, but looking at where the development momentum seems to be it could get there quickly, If they add some more procedural tools, text primarily, in the vein of the spiffy new vbd evaluator they surprised us with, and made a few tweaks to the node editor to make it a little easier to do some cool effects (bake processes that require complex networks and math now into easy to use compound nodes that can be accessed directly instead of having to load them.) It could be a pretty compelling package for that sort of stuff, I mean it already is for some people despite its limitations.

All of them!

Please allow me to reiterate the subject of this thread, for those who may have inadvertently lost sight of it: "What market should LW be concentrating from now on?"
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

best thing to do is put this question to those who used to use lw and not us. perhaps lwg can consider that?

i’m completely exhausted from too much work atm and i can’t remember if i posted a link to louis du monts work blog here or not and it got removed but maybe start with him? i think the answers would be a good starting point for some sort of plan, a roadmap, if you like.

I'd love to have better support for (indie) game dev.

Quote Originally Posted by thomascheng View Post
    Games and VR are still a growing market. Focus on indie game developers/animators/designers. Mid to big studios will only use industry standards.
    I can vouch for that.
    I work of the US government and there is NO WAY IN HELL, they would allow me to use open source software.

Quote Originally Posted by freeflyklown View Post
    I'd love to have better support for (indie) game dev.
    I would suggest looking into the VR market.
    The cool thing is that game dev and VR dev are very close, and the toosetsl they use overlap a lot (and Most is run on Unity/Unreal engines)
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 03-07-2019 at 06:37 AM.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    While I think lw should continue to be first and foremost a generalist one-stop shop, It seems to me that there is space to significantly undercut c4d on price as a 3D tool for motion design. I don’t get the impression that Blender has has taken over the low end there like i believe it has in indie games. Lightwave isn’t really there yet, but looking at where the development momentum seems to be it could get there quickly, If they add some more procedural tools, text primarily, in the vein of the spiffy new vbd evaluator they surprised us with, and made a few tweaks to the node editor to make it a little easier to do some cool effects (bake processes that require complex networks and math now into easy to use compound nodes that can be accessed directly instead of having to load them.) It could be a pretty compelling package for that sort of stuff, I mean it already is for some people despite its limitations.

i Agree One Click Motiongraphics with the modules talking to one another launched with templates & many preset scenes

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    I can vouch for that.
    I work of the US government and there is NO WAY IN HELL, they would allow me to use open source software.
    Why is that?

I heard that the US army used Blender to make spare parts for their airplanes with a 3d printer.
    https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/...-70000-138484/
    Last edited by Ztreem; 03-07-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Why is that?

I heard that the US army used Blender to make spare parts for their airplanes with a 3d printer.
    https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/...-70000-138484/
    I never said it is a rational thing. And DOD and Civilian sector have different requirements that vary per agency. Security concerns seem to be the big one. Anyway fighting for Lightwave proved to be easier.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast