Thread: 3 Person skype show but Channel 3 can't communicate with channels 1 & 2

3 Person skype show but Channel 3 can't communicate with channels 1 & 2

Using Skype/Talkshow to produce a Wirecast livestream featuring 3-4 guests.

When testing, channels 1 & 2 are able to hear each other, but channel 3 cannot communicate with the other two channels.

How can we get 4 channels on the same "call" (for lack of a better word)?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with Wirecast, but with TalkShow is all comes down to the audio routing capabilities of the product you are using. For example in TriCaster you can work with four channels of audio in a mix, which gives enough channels create 4 mix-minus channels in one mix. Is Wireless limited to stereo audio? Or are you using an external audio mixer?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I'm not familiar with Wirecast, but with TalkShow is all comes down to the audio routing capabilities of the product you are using. For example in TriCaster you can work with four channels of audio in a mix, which gives enough channels create 4 mix-minus channels in one mix. Is Wireless limited to stereo audio? Or are you using an external audio mixer?
    The TalkShow bears a lot of the burden here, too, Kane and due to it being pretty much built to use with NDI, Dante, or embedded audio - anyone that's not using that workflow is in a bit of a bind. The VS4000 can only take two channels of analog audio in for mix minus, so if you're running anything more than 2 Skype feeds without using NDI or embedded audio, you're sunk. What you need to do is get an SDI embedder/de-embedder rig inserted into your workflow. The Aja 3G-AMA or a set of Blackmagic SDI to audio-to-SDI and SDI-to-audio mini converters. I like the AJA unit better. From here, since you're not using a Tricaster, you'll have to have your A1 jump through some hoops to get all 4 (3 in your case) skypes out of the box and to your mixer, and then from your mixer into the box.

Ch 1 and Ch 2 XLR's out of the Talkshow to your console. Set the proper config within the Ts to assign caller 1 to XLR 1 and 2 to XLR 2. Then get a 1/4" TRS to 2-channel XLR adapter and plug that into the headphone jack of the TS. Then go into the TS and assign the 3/4 output to "headphone" or something close - I can't remember which at this point. It's pretty obvious in the menus though. This will then assign caller 3 and caller 4 to the headphone jack (analog), which is now being split via the adapter. BTW - make sure the TRS to XLR is stereo so whatever you assign to headphone L will come out one of the XLR and whatever you assign R will come out the other.

Now you have 4 analog/xlr outs of each caller - discrete. The caveat is your TS op will have to assign caller 3 / 4 to the headphone jack in order for them to appear at the console. So if your op is talking to 1 or 2 off-air, caller 3 will NOT be going to the audio console. Meaning if caller 3 is on-air, your op can't hear anything from 1 or 2 without taking 3 or 4 off the air.

Put those XLR outs to your console as individual sources for callers. Now have your A1 set up your 4 mix-minuses in whatever manner they wish. Put those 4 mix minuses into your analog audio to SDI embedder - caller 1 mm into analog 1, caller 2 mm analog 2, etc. Plug the SDI out of the converter into SDI in-1 on the Talkshow. Then go into each channel and select "Input 1" or "SDI 1" as the 'return to caller', and make sure "embedded" is also selected. For each caller, MUTE whatever channel of audio corresponds to their Skype channel. So you'd mute ch 1 on caller 1, but leave 2-4 open. Caller 2, mute ch 2, leaving 1, 3 and 4. Caller 3, mute 3 and leave 1, 2, and 4 open. Now you have your mix-minuses set. Your A1 can push whatever they want down the MM feed.

There may be other ways to skin this cat, but I've not found it.

Also, I have never put my hands on a Wirecast system so I don't have the slightest idea about the I/O capabilities of the Wirecast box.
    Last edited by dhodlick; 03-03-2019 at 05:44 AM.