Thread: Editing and animating a simple line with some curve. 3D max user now working in LW

Editing and animating a simple line with some curve. 3D max user now working in LW

Ok gang. here my scene. I have a boat with fishing rods and underwater I have a lure pulled behind the boat.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to animate a simple line (aka spline) to bend or adjust its vertex. I know lightwave is not same as 3D max. but come on man. How do I animate the fishing line vertexs.

I need the line to go from the boat (which is moving) to a planner board (yellow that that floats in water at the surface) down into the water to the bait.

What do I need to make or modifier to allow me to edit the line (mesh) in Layout. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 11.08.45 PM.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	144168

thanks for the help. Learning program fast but still struggling.

I'm not sure what type of animation you want, but you may have some luck using Spline Control to shape the fishing line, and then either animate the Spline Control control points manually by scrubbing through the timeline and moving the control points, or (as in the sample scene) use a moving Turbulence procedural to make the line sway "randomly" in the wind / water.

You can see William Vaughan's video on using Spline Control to flip a page in a book (one of several techniques) here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GhD6KLI5Y0

A quick sample scene attached. Here's a captured Preview of the shaped line and the wind / water turbulence:

MOV file: FishingLine_SplineControl.mov

The fishing line object is just a multi-segmented straight box in the X axis. Spline Control is used to shape the line from the end of the pole to the water / planner board, and then below water back to the lure being trolled.

Unfortunately, in LW2019, it appears that the Spline Displacement Control (which makes the control points visible) was removed from the default menu setup. Here's a screen shot of adding it back in:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01_AddSplineDisplacementControl_toMenus.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	803.7 KB 
ID:	144172

and the setup for manipulating the line with the control points:

Name:	02_SplineControlPoints.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1,017.1 KB 
ID:	144175

I then used a moving Turbulence procedural to make the shaped line move in the wind / water:

Name:	03_TurbulenceToSwayLine.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	144173

Good luck!
    mTp
    Attached Files Attached Files

Metamorphic maybe?

Thanks MonroePoteet

I will gave that a try this morning.

Older tutorial using clothfx and fx linking, se later parts in the tute, the tutorial should be valid and work with later Lightwave versions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xTKd7pA3rU

and just converting a line with enough segments to skelegons, send it to layout, apply ik booster on it and you can manipulate it with the ik booster tools, as well as putting dynamics on it with ik booster dynamics.
    or go with bullet.

And another vid that might help (scrub to near the end to see the effect he achieved):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Wkdb9ZSco
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.