Thread: NDI and High Dynamic Range (HDR)

NDI and High Dynamic Range (HDR)

Hello Forum

I was wondering if somebody can enlighten me with details about NDI and HDR. Is NDI agnostic to HDR or would it put restrictions on it? I am referring to HDR broadcast standards, such as HDR10 and HDR10+.

Assuming I have a capture device as video source and a display supporting the same HDR10 standard, incl. metadata, colour depth and colour gamut. If I would transfer the video from the source to the display as NDI over Ethernet, would I receive the video as HDR10 on the other side or would NDI turn it into a Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) video?

Thanks for your help.

Bump ;-)

Is there anybody out there with experience in HDR10 or HDR10+ over NDI?
    I would appreciate any information whether or not this would work, thanks.

The NDI protocol supports up to 16-bit per pixel so it would be possible to transport it. However, the SDK only allows for 8-bit per pixel formats to be requested at the current time for an application to read/write from.

From what I understand, HDR10 and HDR10+ both require 10-bit of color information for transport, once NDI has been updated to allow 10-bit per pixel formats for applications to access this would be possible. NDI supports custom metadata, so you should also be able to encapsulate the SMPTE ST 2084 and ST 2094-40 information.

The answer to your question is that in the future this would be possible, NDI was built with these kind of future proofing ideas in mind, but the current SDK doesn't allow for it to be done today. Hopefully soon.
    Last edited by kanep; 03-03-2019 at 09:27 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane, appreciate the details provided.

You are referring to the SDK being currently limited to 8 bit colour depth. Is that also true when using NewTek products, say Connect Spark Pro and IsoCorder Pro, instead of using the SDK with own software?