Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LW Favorites

Ya, there are just too many catagories. Often haven't a clue as to which is "appropriate" to post in.

I'd also like the option to NOT get Tricaster threads.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    I'm just a hobbyist, so I'm not sure my opinion is relevant, but my preference would be that the naming of the forums make it clear what the content is.

Personally, although I usually follow the wide-ranging and often zealous discussions regarding speculation about LW, where it's going, what it's weaknesses are, etc., that's last on my interest list for LW. I like finding threads which pose a specific problem to be solved, try it myself, and hopefully I'm able to post a helpful response. I use the most recent LW I have with whatever features / capabilities that it has and try my best to "make it work".

For me, it'd be nice if the forums were named such that the type of submissions that are relevant to that forum are clear, perhaps names like: LW_NeedHelpWithEffect, LW_Futures, LW_Defects&Shortcoming, LW_GeneralDiscussion, LW_CoolTechniquesIFound, etc.

Then, if the "umbrella" forum just gave pointers to these with a brief description of the type of threads we'd find in them, I could start with the "NeedHelpWithEffect", move on toward CoolTechniquesIFound, then Defects&Shortcomings (maybe I can propose a solution), then GeneralDiscussion, and finally Futures.

Anyway, as always, just my opinion.

mTp
    You are too modest! You are very generous and helpful. Your opinion is very relevant. You have helped me many times! I agree with you that threads that discuss how to solve specific problems are the most interesting on these forums. I find the threads that discuss what Lightwave developers should do to be boring.

I do like the idea of having a category for offers, plug-ins, and 3D-related software specials. Otherwise, you do have to scroll down the list and maybe you see and maybe you don't. One reason I do come here is to try to stay on top of things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    I do like the idea of having a category for offers, plug-ins, and 3D-related software specials. Otherwise, you do have to scroll down the list and maybe you see and maybe you don't. One reason I do come here is to try to stay on top of things like that.
    I think it's annoying in a couple of other ways too. Because third-party announcements and discussions are easily missed in the dedicated category, developers and the like will frequently post them in several different places, which must be a pain for them but can also irritate readers who use the "New Posts" button and often find the same announcement repeated three or four times.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by lertola2 View Post
    You are too modest! You are very generous and helpful. Your opinion is very relevant. You have helped me many times! I agree with you that threads that discuss how to solve specific problems are the most interesting on these forums. I find the threads that discuss what Lightwave developers should do to be boring.
    Well, thanks! I certainly try to be helpful, and really have fun (usually) trying the LW FX / technique challenges that get posted. Of course, I could be honest and post more entries that say "I beat my head against this for three hours today and failed completely!"

mTp

a section for all of gerardstrada posts. most informative stuff on lw on this forum. i think he should have an entire section in the lw manual.

another collating all plugins posted in here like nitsara.

one for 2018 workarounds.

dedicated dpont section, without him there would be no lw.

one for all of sensei stuff

a blender section, it’s mentioned so much. how to use in conjunction with lw.

a modo/maya section for the same, how to use with lw.

3d coat and lw

substance and lw

zbrush and lw

unity and lw

unreal and lw

houdini and lw

tutorials.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 02-15-2019 at 08:36 PM.

As these posts are already in various sub-forums, I think they probably would be better handled by a sticky thread in one of the existing categories. There's s thread somewhere already along the lines of 'things ever LWaver should know'. I think that's a useful mechanism, and it can easily be user maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    a section for all of gerardstrada posts. most informative stuff on lw on this forum. i think he should have an entire section in the lw manual.

another collating all plugins posted in here like nitsara.

one for 2018 workarounds.

dedicated dpont section, without him there would be no lw.

one for all of sensei stuff

a blender section, it’s mentioned so much. how to use in conjunction with lw.

a modo/maya section for the same, how to use with lw.

3d coat and lw

substance and lw

zbrush and lw

unity and lw

unreal and lw

houdini and lw

tutorials.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Ya, there are just too many catagories. Often haven't a clue as to which is "appropriate" to post in.

I'd also like the option to NOT get Tricaster threads.

I Agree entirely, gods knows what it looks like to the noobies pushed down the page.?

A simple filter could be used which was LW-centric, which if you dial LightWave Forum on

on the front page then you get LightWave flipped to the top tier + ChronoS & Nevron

with all other Tri-caster,-IPseries,-Newtek NDI,-Media DS,-NDI,-3PLAY,-TalkShow stuff,

underneath..sheesssh.

It's a question of 'Perceived Presentation' here we are dealing with,ain't rocket science!
    Last edited by ianr; 02-16-2019 at 07:17 AM.

Still...Absolute Amateur scallahan1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I never read through the forums "naturally". I just look for what's new and because I don't want video product posts in there, I have a specific search, which is:

Code:
    https://forums.newtek.com/search.php?do=getnew&include=16,279,278,57,18,207,235,130,23,74,51,52,53,54,24,25,26,158,182,27,28,276,171,172,173,174,208,205,29,31,30,308,206,170&contenttype=vBForum_Post
    This works very well in the main, but not so much if I'm wandering through looking for a specific post or thread...

B
    Yes, this is a great way to check new posts. Been doing it since 2014 when I found someone else's thread about it. Sometimes Newtek adds a new product and I have to edit that new forum out of my search.

Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12