Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LW Favorites

LW Favorites

I've been thinking that a little cleanup/re-organization of the LW forums might make it a bit easier to find things. What brought this to mind is noticing that you can easily overlook third-party offerings, specials, and the like, as they tend to be posted rather willy-nilly in various sub-categories. I expect that this, in part, reflects a desire on the part of the person posting to get their info into what seems like a more advantageous traffic area, but this seems to have the reverse effect.

I wonder what others would think about having a small main group named something like "LightWave Favorites", containing maybe the most used and appropriate categories - Community, General Discussions, Third Party ... other? Gallery? If we were to give more prominent billing to a small number of groups, to give your scroll wheel a break - which ones would you like to see in that list? (BTW, not suggesting getting rid of anything, just re-ordering things.)

Edit: This is deliberately not a poll, just in case you were thinking it could be ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I think you know what's best and I'll support whatever you decide
    Mac Pro
    3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache
    32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
    1TB PCIe-based SSD
    Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

I like the idea of having two groups instead of the four that exist now. Maybe put all the forums that have more than 1,000 posts into the Favorites and hide the rest away in an other category. If I want to make a new thread I most likely want it to go into the General Support forum so that it will be seen by most people who frequent these forums. What would really be nice would be if all 3D related items could be completely separated from the other NewTek forums. And have it hosted under the Lightwave3D domain.

Quote Originally Posted by lertola2 View Post
    I like the idea of having two groups instead of the four that exist now. Maybe put all the forums that have more than 1,000 posts into the Favorites and hide the rest away in an other category. If I want to make a new thread I most likely want it to go into the General Support forum so that it will be seen by most people who frequent these forums. What would really be nice would be if all 3D related items could be completely separated from the other NewTek forums. And have it hosted under the Lightwave3D domain.
    and there we have it
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by lertola2 View Post
    And have it hosted under the Lightwave3D domain.
    Few things in this world would make me happier, believe me; but it's not my call. I can, however, re-arrange the furniture a bit.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    There are some forums that probably need to be retired in some way or another.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Steve how about bringing thumbnails back in the gallery? People hardly post there anymore - maybe because there is no visibility upfront.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

I'm not sure I have the ability to do that. I've passed the request back to the IT guys previously when it came up, but nothing happened. I'll try again.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Verlon View Post
    There are some forums that probably need to be retired in some way or another.
    yep.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I never read through the forums "naturally". I just look for what's new and because I don't want video product posts in there, I have a specific search, which is:

Code:
    https://forums.newtek.com/search.php?do=getnew&include=16,279,278,57,18,207,235,130,23,74,51,52,53,54,24,25,26,158,182,27,28,276,171,172,173,174,208,205,29,31,30,308,206,170&contenttype=vBForum_Post
    This works very well in the main, but not so much if I'm wandering through looking for a specific post or thread...

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I never read through the forums "naturally". I just look for what's new and because I don't want video product posts in there, I have a specific search, which is:

Code:
    https://forums.newtek.com/search.php?do=getnew&include=16,279,278,57,18,207,235,130,23,74,51,52,53,54,24,25,26,158,182,27,28,276,171,172,173,174,208,205,29,31,30,308,206,170&contenttype=vBForum_Post
    This works very well in the main, but not so much if I'm wandering through looking for a specific post or thread...

B
    That would definitely be a huge advantage; being able to search for new posts only in the forums we are interested in.

Really have zero interest in the video side at all.

Feel free to use that search, it was invented by a LightWaver cleverer than me. I just use it all the time so that when I type "F" in the address bar, it's the first url that comes up and I just have to hit down arrow and return to get there. I also store the address in my favourites, which might help

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

I'm just a hobbyist, so I'm not sure my opinion is relevant, but my preference would be that the naming of the forums make it clear what the content is.

Personally, although I usually follow the wide-ranging and often zealous discussions regarding speculation about LW, where it's going, what it's weaknesses are, etc., that's last on my interest list for LW. I like finding threads which pose a specific problem to be solved, try it myself, and hopefully I'm able to post a helpful response. I use the most recent LW I have with whatever features / capabilities that it has and try my best to "make it work".

For me, it'd be nice if the forums were named such that the type of submissions that are relevant to that forum are clear, perhaps names like: LW_NeedHelpWithEffect, LW_Futures, LW_Defects&Shortcoming, LW_GeneralDiscussion, LW_CoolTechniquesIFound, etc.

Then, if the "umbrella" forum just gave pointers to these with a brief description of the type of threads we'd find in them, I could start with the "NeedHelpWithEffect", move on toward CoolTechniquesIFound, then Defects&Shortcomings (maybe I can propose a solution), then GeneralDiscussion, and finally Futures.

Anyway, as always, just my opinion.

mTp

I typically only look at the "New Forum Posts" section because there's already so much forum segmentation. This keeps me in good company with the 80% of web users that are not prone to scroll.

A heat map report would be useful to understand how the forum organization could be improved. There are service providers or you can install your own for free. https://www.dugwood.com/clickheat/index.html
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Some two three years ago, I promted for a clean up and re-organizing of the lightwave related forums, nothing happened ..but sure, never to late.
    I can not recall in which thread or category I put those suggestions , will try and check back.

Foremost...start cleaning up before putting new categories in, or restructuring.

I think some things already is removed, we used to have to many galleries sections for various lw versions.
    Canīt give direct suggestions right now though...sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast