Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full suspension Mtn. Bike (WIP)

Full suspension Mtn. Bike (WIP)

Hi everybody.

Here are a few screen grabs from Modeler of my latest project.

I am a pretty avid Mtn biker and have more of an extreme bike. The one I ride could be considered a Freeride or downhill bike and it has 7 inches of shock travel in the front and rear.

I have attempted to design my own frame and it will have 8 inches of suspension travel. Unless you are really into mtn biking this may not mean much to you, but here are some shots anyway.

Right now I have the front triangle of the frame and the rear shock. Both of these items are entirely sub-d's which is making it challenging, but in my opinion if you can do it and take the time, the results are so much better than regular (non sub-d) modeling.

I have also become somewhat knowledgable now in joining tubes in sub-d.

PIC 1: Frame thus far
    Attached Images Attached Images

PIC 2: Frame wire

PIC 3: close-up of tube junction

PIC 4: Shock

PIC 4: Shock wire

Newbie Member
    I'm very impressed with the details! Keep it up!

I hope you are going to use some hydraulic brakes. The shock looks good although I'm not entirely sure about the frame, I'm no expert (apart from looking at my own Giant XTC) but if the frame is alloy then the weld lines would be alot thicker. If its steel then ignore this. I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Hi again.

Here are some updates. Mostly it is part of the rear shock linkage and the front mounts.

Everything is still all sub-d's. It is now up to 15,000 polys, but I can remove about 4000 by not showing the threads on the shock.

Noiseboy- If this were to really be built, it would be alloy. I wanted to make it appear smooth and seamless better than with normal poly modeling and have been considering weld bead methods for later. YOu are correct that they would be bigger, but some of todays bikes are nearly doing away with visible welds almost altogether. I may try to apply some weld beads after this is all done if I want to get even more ridiculous than I already am. I have some pics of my bike and this shock (Progressive 5th Element) over on the LW Group in a similar thread. You can view them here:

http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/showthre...141#post184141

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

close-up of linkage:

Another:

One more showing the linkage area mating ro the frame:

I cant help thinking that the flanges that hold the shock to the downtube are to close to the shock, in reality the shock would be fouling the flange. check out this Fisher bike
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/lar...&bike=Sugar293
    although the shock is different the method of attachment is similar and the support flanges are cut away from the shock.
    But what do I know I prefer hardtails anyway...
    what about those hydraulics? all those disc holes..
    keep up the good start

Thanks for the feedback.

I hear what you are saying about the suspension, but I am basically copying and taking measurements from my current ride.
    That Fisher is pretty basic and nowhere near the caliper near the scale and design of long travel downhill or Freeride bikes. Here are some pics of a similar setup on the not yet in production VPP Free from Santa Cruz (scroll down to see nice closeup images).

This will be my next bike this year!:
    http://www.santacruzmtb.com/news/news.asp?id=239

If I go beyond making this just a frame or maybe even a frame and fork combo, I will continue this same detail level including 8" hydraulic disk brakes and the works. As it is right now this was to be a frame only type deal, but I Will probably tackle the whole thing.

Thanks

Originally posted by SLAYER

This will be my next bike this year!:
    http://www.santacruzmtb.com/news/news.asp?id=239

nice looking bike and even nicer looking scenery behind it, not many mountains like that in London!

A couple of the MTN Bike magazines I get are out of the UK. They cost a lot to buy over here but UK mags are quite often better than ours and not just because you can have naked women. Although that is pretty nice.

The magazine DIRT is out of the UK and MOUNTAIN BIKING has a UK version better than our US version. There is alot of bikes over there that do not make it over here like certain model of SCOTT and only recently have we begun to see bikes like ORANGE over here. There appears to be anawful lot of good riding over there scattered about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast