Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lightwave 2019's Best Kept Secret!

From what I understand Craig, the interpolation works off what was last manipulated. There's ways to fudge it, but it's not the optimal workflow.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Ok... so it IS switched, its just auto switched. A nice idea in some respects, until you come up against a time where you're wanting an absolute IK lockoff, but also tweak an inbetween on the FK, and the whole thing changes on you.

Dont get me wrong, I like clever solutions to things, but there is simply no way of having something be both IK and FK at the same time (in terms of interpolation between poses), there MUST be a switch, and to take that control away from the user removes one problem (the need to manage the switch) and replaces it with another (the inability to manage the switch).
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

if only we had modos gizmos and no gimbal lock-in layout. i’m doing some stuff in there atm and it’s doing my head in!

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    You ALWAYS have gimbal lock in any 3D app (given that rotations are recorded in euler co-ords, which they pretty much universally are). You can have a "no lock" manipulator/handle (local axis or quatro in layout), but the animation curves are still eulerian. Some apps ofc aloow you to use different rotation methods, such as quaternions, but these just have their own issues (with quats, its getting the intended interpoaltion between keys that needs to be managed). There simply is no "perfect" rotational method, each has its pros and cons.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

i believe RHR Rigging Tutorials has a bit more info on that >
    http://rebelhill.net/html/rhr
    Last edited by erikals; 02-19-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Played with this rig for a few days in discovery edition and one of the problems I run into was that, once the ik hand controllers are messed with, the fk controls go out of alignment and their rotations become unpredictable and hard to control.
    Is this normal behavior or I'm missing something?
    Last edited by Hail; 02-21-2019 at 04:47 AM.

The idea is that you need to zero out the ik positions to use pure fk. It’s ik ON TOP OF fk. To get a sort of blending between ik and fk just zero out the ik goal and elbow pole position and rotations over time. Then the ik pose will morph to the fk pose.

You could to a quick modification to the rig in layout to get more conventional ikfk blending if you just duplicate the ik controls and put the duplicates in in world space and same-as-item constrain the originals to the duplicates and lock/hide the originals so you dont accidentally grab them. Then you can use envelopes and an expression/sliders/channelmodifiers or whatever control method floats your boat to blend between world space IK position and FK driven IK positions. The whole process shouldn’t take more than a couple minutes. Not sure if my description made sense tho... maybe I should make a video.
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 02-21-2019 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    The idea is that you need to zero out the ik positions to use pure fk. It’s ik ON TOP OF fk. To get a sort of blending between ik and fk just zero out the ik goal and elbow pole position and rotations over time. Then the ik pose will morph to the fk pose.

You could to a quick modification to the rig in layout to get more conventional ikfk blending if you just duplicate the ik controls and put the duplicates in in world space and same-as-item constrain the originals to the duplicates and lock/hide the originals so you dont accidentally grab them. Then you can use envelopes and an expression/sliders/channelmodifiers or whatever control method floats your boat to blend between world space IK position and FK driven IK positions. The whole process shouldn’t take more than a couple minutes. Not sure if my description made sense tho... maybe I should make a video.
    H.S.d. A Vid would be good....cheers

I threw together a little youtube vid of how to do modify this rig to use more standard ikfk blending.

Please excuse my sqeaky chair, constant throat-clearing and total lack of any sort of editing.

I also address the motion mixer issues that a lot of rigs with IKFKswitches struggle with in lightwave and how to get around it in 2019 using MM_ChannelDriver
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 02-21-2019 at 10:58 AM.

I threw together a little youtube vid of how to do modify this rig to use more standard ikfk blending.

Please excuse my sqeaky chair, constant throat-clearing and total lack of any sort of editing.

I also address the motion mixer issues that a lot of rigs with IKFKswitches struggle with in lightwave and how to get around it in 2019 using MM_ChannelDriver

Well just like your tag that is really Duper

Well done & Thanks IanR Craig any comments?
    Last edited by ianr; 02-21-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks! Much appreciated.
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

awesome tutorial. thanks for making this.

would be great for this stuff to be added to the confluence docs.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234