Thread: Can you deform Instance along a Spline?

Can you deform Instance along a Spline?

Hey guys, I'm trying to create a highway using a segment of a highway. I like to instance this segment along a spline, but was wondering if there is a way to also deform the instance as it clone along the spline. The alternative is to rail clone a really really long highway, and then use lots of bones to deform it. I like to avoid that as it seems a bit poly heavy and slow. Any ideas?

Looks like the answer is no.

I was hoping for an answer to this one too. Sounds like a good question to me.
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

Hey, Thomas! Good to see you here.

Yeah, I was hoping somebody would offer a solution too. I've needed to do that a bunch of times over the past five years and always wound up using actual geometry.

Coincidentally, I recently needed to build city blocks and highways. I wound up making modular sections, including curving sections, so I can construct the blocks and roads like legos. I experimented with using instances for this but it was just easier to use real geometry, even if the scene got a bit heavy in the end. If it had gotten any heavier, I'd probably break stuff out in passes. (Which I usually do anyway.)

You can in Modo Thomas using a merge meshOp , but don't know how fast it would be. (and before people get their shorts in a bunch, Thomas uses Modo also) I've used it to bend a particle path of instances before.

something like this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roadspline.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	144121

road_instance.rar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	splineroad.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	144119