Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Brent's Lightwave 2019 Render Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    I'm not sure that a 400 cpu renderfarm has much to do with your average user, so not sure why the comparison.
    The very simple reason is that most rendering, today, is not done on GPUs when it comes to VFX or pre-rendered Cinematics.

Do you honestly believe that WETA will remove their 40k CPU park just because Brent had a "vision"?.

EDIT: The problem Brent has is that he totally lacks vision around him... as in, what is really going on. Big VFX will not move from CPU anytime soon.

It is important to show him that his view is only based on what he needs, and then try to tell everyone else that that is the truth to all needs. Which it isnt. That is all I wanted to add to this thread.
    Last edited by Cageman; 02-12-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    The very simple reason is that most rendering, today, is not done on GPUs when it comes to VFX or pre-rendered Cinematics.

Do you honestly believe that WETA will remove their 40k CPU park just because Brent had a "vision"?.
    No of course nothing to do with Brent. But don't think todays existing pipelines reflect tomorrows decisions. You're going to see more systems at the high end leveraging both CPU and GPU together.

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    hi, i don't post much here but i'll add my general input on the cpu speed test conversation.

I saw some render results data for a renderer that can use cpu or gpu and in those results a AMD 16core threadripper (32 thread) as on par with a nvidia 1080 or a 1080ti depending on the scene rendered out.
    so for me that's a good 'ballpark' on where each is at right now.

I found this video interesting on how both the cpu and the gpu dev curves will flatten out soon, the gains will be TINY.
    Once CPU reaches 64 cores the curve flattens out.
    Once the GPU reaches 128 RT cores ...not much gonna get better either with 4000 RT cores...

long story short might be multiple cpu's again...either in 1 pc or on a network
    or multiple gpu cards hung off the main workstation.

so... the future needs another shift in the next 5 years.

I guess that would mean that my 2990WX would have similar processing power to 2 x 1080 cards.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

hrgiger: I edited my message during the time you made the response. The section I added was regarding Brent himself and how I view his standpoint.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I guess that would mean that my 2990WX would have similar processing power to 2 x 1080 cards.
    yeh, your 32 core AMD (64threads) should be similar to two 1080 or 1080ti cards, pretty good result.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I hear even RTX work fast with realtime raytracing, it would mean of speed from RTX make more fast than 64 threads ???

yeh, your 32 core AMD (64threads) should be similar to two 1080 or 1080ti cards, pretty good result.
    I suspected as I said above my post

PS : thank you for your tip about size for GPU

which almost works out, because the 32 core AMD is about 2.5 times more expensive than what I paid for my 1080Ti($700)

I don't think things are literal when it comes to GPU and CPU, you also have to consider other parameters that impact workflows, for example, biased or unbiased sampling.

Octane offer is on the opposite spectrum of old LW renderer. CPU biased vs GPU unbiased. Octane was radical improvement to the Visualization and Animation users for the raw speed and the reliable GI on animated geos

If you move to Film though or heavy scenes with FX you might go into different types of renderer, like Arnold, Renderman and Mantra.

As I understand LW new render engine is aimed at Arnold practices. And that's great because the overall experience with Arnold users is: Short setup time for the user, let the machine chew on the renders, get back amazing images sequences with little problems. Won't be as fast and GPU, but it's reassuring. This may not serve much people in Visualization that have to spit out a lot of work fast, but certainly an upgrade to Animation and FX people.

Then you'll also have Redshift and classic Vray that while on GPU and CPU respectively have similar sampling settings and will demand a lot of tweaking and scene optimization from the user in order to balance quality and render times.

But hey... I rarely do renders... So, looking forward for others' insight.

As for the usual clique, suppressing outsiders... Most can't make a proper articulated video, share some insight, with fair diction or without gasping for air. So you do you and let them have their own circle-jerk, in their ebony tower.

I love crossover discussions and your videos have some useful nuggets and food for thought even though I'm not an Octane or full fledged Blender user. They are part of that thing people used to foster more: discovery through dialogue and effort put on presentation of ideas, even if to be corrected...

Cheers
    Last edited by probiner; 02-12-2019 at 06:59 PM.

btw

brent,

It is better to first learn a software and then make videos.

Your comparisons have nothing to do with industry practice.
    I do not mind that you are a fanboy, but if you try to blaze the blender and lightwave community against each other with unfair means and unfair comparsions I will destroy you and your CLICK BAIT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clickbait

Leave something like that to the professionals.
    You prefer to learn LightWave.
    This will bring you more knowledge and you will not steal the community's precious time with nonsens and click bait videos.
    so. delete yourself on youtube and do not waste your time. You do not become a good artist when you talk. if you want to talk take up the profession of the entertainer.

So first become master. then talk about the championship. not the other way around.

Thank you very much.

snip safx

I'd like to rein in the personal comments, please. Debate the subject all you wisH.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I'd like to rein in the personal comments, please. Debate the subject all you wisH.

I have said everything there is to say. (from my point of view)

snip safx

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast